Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing in the O2 cattle market

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    The standing pissheads are no worse than the sitting pissheads. The one thing I hate about the place is the constant stream of people going to the bar while a show is on.

Its understandable, if people lose their buzz they will sober up and start to get a hangover

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

I went to both Roger Waters gigs and the difference between the two nights was vast. I stood for the first night and i fully agree with the OP, it was an absolute farce, seemed to be full of people who seemed to be informed that alcohol was about to be outlawed the following day, i never seen anything like it. Especially considering The Wall show is an actual spectacle that you're supposed to actually concentrate on.

The setting of the O2 definitely didnt help matters, but the actual stage design was a big part too. Because there needed to be extra space at the front (for the Wall to come down) it meant that the standing area was pushed further back and basically into the bar area which caused total havoc, not to mention the dreadful sound if you happened to stand under the seating area like i did.

However i went to the 2nd night and this time had seating tickets. The most breathtaking show i've EVER seen and i dont think it'll ever be topped.

Odd that you waited 3 weeks to get this off your chest though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Saw his gig last night in Hamburg, one of the best gigs I've ever been to and the setup here is amazing and so well organised compared to the O2 in Dublin... ironically the venue here was also the O2!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Never ever ever again. I went to see Roger Waters in the O2. I thought he was only playing one night so when I could only get standing room on Ticketmaster, I just went with it. Boy, it was a mistake. For starters €75 yoyos a ticket. Steep enough at the best of times, but worth it to see one of Roger's live shows. I couldn't believe it when I walked in the door, and headed for the hotdog stand. I looked across and I saw the bricks of the wall in front of me. I was very impressed with the set design. I turned to my brother and said "the back of the set is amazing isn't it ? Imagine what it will be like when we walk through into the concert venue". He replied "Eh, we're actually IN the concert venue already". Incredibly in the new O2 set up, the plebs who stand don't go from the bar INTO another area to stand. Standing beside the bar, the candy store, or the hot dog stand is all part of what you pay your €75 for !!!! I couldn't believe it. The whole night, I was surrounded by people who wanted to drink themselves into oblivion, or go to the toilet and excrete the beer out...eh I like a drink as much as the next man, but why oh why is it always in the middle of a concert, when some people are there for their enjoyment of the artist, and don't want to have to put up with hammered drunks staggering around invading their space. I'll never ever stand in the O2 again. It's a con job. They are cramming up to 13,000 people into the downstairs standing. Welcome to rip off greedy Ireland. Maybe the Point was smaller, but you never felt as if you were being walked on, and the bar was away from the downstairs standing area. Whoever designed the new O2 needs to be shot with balls of their own shyte

I was at the same gig, ground floor standing, was'nt bothered by anyone because i was in the middle f the crowd. Show up in good time :)

"the back of the set is amazing isn't it"

Unless you're from turkmenistan I don't see how you could mistake the biggest f**king stage show going for the back of the set. Did the stage, lights and PA not provide any hints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

So ya
    Thought ya
    Might like to
    go to the show
    To feel the warm thrill of confusion
    That space cadet glow
    I've got some bad news for you sunshine
    Pink isn't well he stayed back at the hotel
    And they sent us along as a surrogate band
    And we're going to find out where you fans
    Really stand
    Are there any queers in the theatre tonight
    Get 'em up against the wall
    That one looks Jewish
    And that one's a coon
    Who let all this riff raff into the room
    There's one smoking a joint and
    Another with spots
    If I had my way I'd have all of you shot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Some gigs I'd much prefer to be standing than sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,049 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Maybe its just my bad luck. I always get stuck beside Anto and Whacker and their mates from Tallaght who have the night off from Sharon and Tracey and the rugrats, and just want to get gee eyed drunk
    you see that's the great thing about standing....you could have moved to the spot that suited you the most...standing in the o2 is great...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

vicwatson wrote: »
    it has almost zero parking in the vicinity

It has a 3 storey underground carpark beside it attached to the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I can't believe you got more thanks for spelling out the joke, than I did for making it. After Hours, pfft.

Least Slasher got it first time up I suppose ;)

Sorry - you should have gone for the Giggs spelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: There's your problem, get a seating ticket next time, standing is for cheapskate pissheads. I was at Roger Waters, I had a lovely front row seat and could see everything in comfort without drunken lunatics.

http://s419.photobucket.com/albums/pp279/PogMoTho1n/Roger%20waters/?start=all

Nice pics, did you manage to watch the show at all? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

galwayrush wrote: »
    I stood for Roger Waters, seated for Rush, wish i had done it the other way round
    I had great seats for Rush. I thought they were very good but I thought Roger was better. You cant beat your favourite album being played in its entirety!

gilmour wrote: »
    Odd that you waited 3 weeks to get this off your chest though!
    Yeah you're right. I have been fuming for weeks and never thought to put it on Boards till now

you see that's the great thing about standing....you could have moved to the spot that suited you the most...standing in the o2 is great...
    I moved three times. Each time the people around me were hammered. The lowlight of the night was a foxy blonde girl with her boyfriend, who was drunkenly and out of tune singing "Comfortably Numb", and even trying to sing the guitar solos. Never ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: There's your problem, get a seating ticket next time, standing is for cheapskate pissheads.

why would anyone want to sit at a rock concert, defeats the whole purpose of going there imo, i have been to one or two gigs where everyone was seated and it was boring, wanted to get up and dance

rossie1977 wrote: »
    why would anyone want to sit at a rock concert, defeats the whole purpose of going there imo, i have been to one or two gigs where everyone was seated and it was boring, wanted to get up and dance

When you're an old fart like me, you feel like sitting and tapping your feet

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

€75??

75 ****ING EURO!!!

Jesus Christ, have Ticketmaster/MCD etc no shame at all?

Disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I moved three times. Each time the people around me were hammered. The lowlight of the night was a foxy blonde girl with her boyfriend, who was drunkenly and out of tune singing "Comfortably Numb", and even trying to sing the guitar solos. Never ever again
    Did you go for the jackpot, seeing as bucko was pis drunk?

blueser wrote: »
    Did you go for the jackpot, seeing as bucko was pis drunk?

Ha ha ha. She was drunk and singing. He looked sober. I reckon he had her on the Pernod to get her in the mood for later

• Registered Users Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Ha ha ha. She was drunk and singing. He looked sober. I reckon he had her on the Pernod to get her in the mood for later
    I'd have thought listening to Roger Waters would have, er, got her juices flowing at an agreeable rate!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I blame MCD.

• Advertisement

strobe wrote: »
    I blame MCD.

I blame Harry Crosbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

My point is that the design of the standing space at the new O2 sucks farts, regardless of who the artist is who is playing...

do not go so + tell your friends not to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

I blame Harry Crosbie
    he has to pay back nama somehow, greedy git....75 a ticket for standing...

gigino wrote: »
    do not go so + tell your friends not to go.

I will go again but I will never stand

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

fat__tony wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, have Ticketmaster/MCD etc no shame at all?

Absolutely zero shame. In fact I'd wager they're probably proud of their ability to fleece Joe Punter.

I'd say the Waters gigs were so dear because he spent a lot of the budget on fireworks and cardboard. It was an amazing gig though.
    Standing beside the bar, the candy store, or the hot dog stand is all part of what you pay your €75 for !!!! I couldn't believe it. The whole night, I was surrounded by people who wanted to drink themselves into oblivion, or go to the toilet and excrete the beer out...eh I like a drink as much as the next man, but why oh why is it always in the middle of a concert, when some people are there for their enjoyment of the artist, and don't want to have to put up with hammered drunks staggering around invading their space.

The O2 is a great venue, and I quite like the fact that the bars are in the venue itself. It means you don't have to miss the show to get a beverage.

People will still go to the bar at a gig anyway,so its proximity won't have any effect on the amount of people barging past you to get to it.

Besides, the place is big enough that you don't have to actually stand beside any of the bars, and if you're not drinking you won't have any need to gravitate towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

I've only been to the O2 once, for Peter Kay. There were 3 things that stuck out that annoyed me (and I'm usually not fussy about anything!).

1. Pints are €6 feckin euro. Them prices belong in 2006.
    2. While we were waiting to go into the main arena(about a 25 mins) there was absolutely no seating in the main foyer, apart from the base of the pillars which were already taken. Not good for my pregnant OH!
    3. My seat had no leg room, my knees were pressed up against the one in front and i was brushing shoulders with the man beside me.

It does look more appealing than the Point though. I haven't been there for a musical gig so I don't know what that is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Pints are €6 feckin euro.

That's the only real complaint I'd have about the place. And they're not pints, they're crappy plastic 500ml cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

seanbmc wrote: »
    Some gigs I'd much prefer to be standing than sitting.

Definitely. Depends on the band like, but most of the bands I like are lively affairs and sitting down for one of their shows would feel like a complete waste of time.

If you're standing, get there early enough not to be right at the back of the crowd, and you're sorted. It's not actually that hard to get to the rail, thanks to the lengthways design of the place.

I love the 02. One of the best venues of it's size I've ever been to. The sound is great and the layout accommodates an awful lot of people without sacrificing sightlines or making anybody feel like they're a million miles from the stage. The bars are pricey, but they're well staffed and easy to access.

As for the ticket price - not being funny, but Roger Waters' shows are used as an example of high ticket prices everywhere people talk about this stuff. The Wall tour is famously pricey owing to the nature of the stage show itself.

Turpentine wrote: »
    It means you don't have to miss the show to get a beverage.
    Oh no. You're another one of those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Gig venue discussion from AH

Advertisement