Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repeating the leaving next year

• 12-06-2011 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

So I've known pretty much all this year that I was going to have to repeat my leaving next June. I'm actually going to do chronically bad. I don't really know a lot about repeating so I'm looking into it at the moment. If anyone knows anything at all that you think I should know or would be handy to know, would be great :)

My subjects this year are maths(o), english(h), irish(h), french(h), geography(h), home ec(h), art(h). I know the maths and irish courses are changed and I'm thinking of dropping art depending on my results in August.. any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I've been thinking the same thing some of my exams having gone as well as I expected and I was relying on those for points.

I've looked into rathmines and plunketts which do repeat leaving cert and it's a college.

You could always do a plc course?

I can't as they don't do anything I want to do. My only option is to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

You can do Irish and maths this year (check what your course entry requirements are e.g a pass in both) and next year do the six subjects for the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 casperkiid

I'm the same regarding PLC, not an option and I wont have enough points for any thing any way so I'd much rather repeat.

The Shtig wrote: »
    You can do Irish and maths this year (check what your course entry requirements are e.g a pass in both) and next year do the six subjects for the points.

yeah I'm thinking of doing that depending on how Irish goes, maths paper one was terrible and I need that..

Is it true that if you fail maths you fail your leaving cert and that you cant repeat next year?

Sorry I miscounted your subjects but you can still get your requirement in maths this year and get it out of the way. Find out what is changing on the Irish course and maybe you could catch up with it over the summer.

• Advertisement

I think Rathmines you need to apply early and you get interviewed not sure though. But Plunketts you can apply in august I think as I looked they have enrolment dates.

casperkiid wrote: »
    yeah I'm thinking of doing that depending on how Irish goes, maths paper one was terrible and I need that..

Is it true that if you fail maths you fail your leaving cert and that you cant repeat next year?

You can still repeat the leaving but you will need to do maths next year, I think you need maths for most colleges.

Study for paper 2 tomorrow and just try your best. Attempt every question, you'd be surprised by how many marks you can get. Our teacher said that if you only did the part A's and B's of every question you would get 60% assuming you answered them correctly.

yeah I'm hoping it will be a better paper but I'll more then likely be repeating it. Any opinions on project maths? I did the normal paper and I have no idea about the new course..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

The problem with repeating is that although the courses are different and easier , there is supposedly a lot of new/ different material or so I'm told anyway

If theres a requirement you need for a college just try and get it this year . Say like in english or maths. English the course changes and honours would be hard to do as it's a new course for 2 years an the poets change and everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

I think that I will repeat again. There are too many benefits:
    1. The repeat class this year got a ratio of 13/14 students to every teacher.
    2. You would be more mature going in next year.
    3. You can drop Irish/Maths.
    4. The students get extra classes to make up for the ones they dropped which means 5/10 extra classes a week.
    5. You have most of your optional subjects covered, which means a year of revision and self-improvement.
    6. Whatever catching up that needs to be done in English/Maths can be done during the extra classes.
    7. You should have an idea of what the LC year is about. You'll study more efficiently (learn from the previous years mistakes regarding school work). For me I will get another chance to win something with the footballers in the school. We had so much potential to win the all Ireland. Fell apart due to injuries.

So I think repeating is the best way to go.

I awant to repeat as I don't want to put those grades that I'll probably get on my CV everyone will be judging based on those. I don't even know if I'll get 300 points.
    It would be nice to repeat in a college , not like school.
    Wheres everyone thinking of repeating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I awant to repeat as I don't want to put those grades that I'll probably get on my CV everyone will be judging based on those. I don't even know if I'll get 300 points.
    It would be nice to repeat in a college , not like school.

Don't repeat just because you want to make your CV look better, repeat if you get offered a course you don't want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I'm thinking of repeating but I'm 18 now and will be 19 during the summer. If I repeat I'll be 19 doing the LC the second time and 20 going to college!

I'd love to repeat but I think I'm too old :(

NotExactly wrote: »
    Don't repeat just because you want to make your CV look better, repeat if you get offered a course you don't want.

I'm not repeating for the cv. It's not likely I'll get the points. So gonna have to repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'm thinking of repeating but I'm 18 now and will be 19 during the summer. If I repeat I'll be 19 doing the LC the second time and 20 going to college!

Trust me,you're not. There are people in my year repeating who already have college degrees and came back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Honestly i wouldn't worry about that at all. I was the same age when I repeated and it made no difference whatsoever. College will be full of loads of people from different backgrounds and ages. From mature students to people who transferred from other courses that they didn't like, 20 is not old at all.

I repeated my LC ten odd years ago and I definitely list it as one of my wisest decisions. Obviously it was a pain at the time but once I got over the first couple of days it was grand and now when I look back it was actually a fun year. And I went from having the option of rubbish sounding plc courses in Letterkenny to the pick of any university that I wanted.

I would definitely advise anyone repeating to be really smart about it and look at your results and just drop your worst subjects. For me that was dropping Maths and Irish and taking up Business and Home Ec. I couldn't beleive how easy Business was and I ended up with an A2 in Hons and was gutted I hadn't done it for the first LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ladybike

I think that I will repeat again. There are too many benefits:
    1. The repeat class this year got a ratio of 13/14 students to every teacher.
    2. You would be more mature going in next year.
    3. You can drop Irish/Maths.
    4. The students get extra classes to make up for the ones they dropped which means 5/10 extra classes a week.
    5. You have most of your optional subjects covered, which means a year of revision and self-improvement.
    6. Whatever catching up that needs to be done in English/Maths can be done during the extra classes.
    7. You should have an idea of what the LC year is about. You'll study more efficiently (learn from the previous years mistakes regarding school work). For me I will get another chance to win something with the footballers in the school. We had so much potential to win the all Ireland. Fell apart due to injuries.

So I think repeating is the best way to go.

Mate, I'm just doing the Leaving Cert this year for the 2nd time, I repeated.. I'm probably not speaking for everyone when I say this, but you have to be EXTREMELY well disiplined to;

1) learn from the previous years mistakes.
    2) study more efficiently.

Not saying you won't do it, but it was what I was saying to myself last year.. You might have the best intentions, but if you didn't sit down and do it this year, ask yourself will you sit down and do it next year?

90% of the people who repeat get on better the 2nd time they do it but its only about 1 in every 20 that really shoots up in points, the others are just marginal improvements because as you have correctly pointed out, they have an extra years experience.

As for the extra years maturity, it doesn't exist. If you can't decide not you are going to work flat out for the next week and a half, spending every last minute with notes or books in your hand, nothing is going to change in 2 short summer holiday months..

As I said, I'm probably not speaking for everyone when I say this, but it is really difficult. I would recommend it for someone who tried really hard, and ended up 5-15 points short of their course.. But for anyone else, I say stay well away..

Your decision though, don't take it lightly and every luck to you! :)
    (By the way, in case you are wondering, I got 430 last year, got 450 in my mocks this year and expect to end up on about 470-480, for Primary Teaching)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Many people are/turn 20 during their first year of college, it's not that big a deal :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Hi, I repeated this year. You can honestly leave it until September to apply for some places but I wouldn't advise it, I ended up in a kip in town. Just try your best for this years leaving and worry about repeating in august.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Hellomychum92

Hey all,
    i am currently doing my lc for the second time round and all i can say is if you can avoid repeating at all costs..... at the start you are so motivated to do well, to study and to do all your work but it only lasts awhile well for most people it does.

For some people repeating is very good cause they will work very well for all of the year, but for the rest its hard because most of their friends are in college and that were they want to be as well.

If you are seriously thinking about repeating make sure that it is the right choice for you and that its not your parents/guardians pushing you into it, you have to want it as well.

This year i repeated in Rathmines college, the college itself is lovely, people and teachers are friendly, but the one thing i will say is that if you want to achieve to your potential then you yourself have to put the work in because apart from maybe two or three teachers they leave it all to you, yes they teach the class but after that its down to you.

If you are thinking of going to Rathmines, you should either apply now or the day after the results come out as it is a very popular college to repeat in, the cost of the course is €300 without a medical card but I am not sure on the cost with a medical card.

Hope this has helped yous, let me no if yous need to no anything else :)

Hey all,
    i am currently doing my lc for the second time round and all i can say is if you can avoid repeating at all costs..... at the start you are so motivated to do well, to study and to do all your work but it only lasts awhile well for most people it does.

For some people repeating is very good cause they will work very well for all of the year, but for the rest its hard because most of their friends are in college and that were they want to be as well.

If you are seriously thinking about repeating make sure that it is the right choice for you and that its not your parents/guardians pushing you into it, you have to want it as well.

This year i repeated in Rathmines college, the college itself is lovely, people and teachers are friendly, but the one thing i will say is that if you want to achieve to your potential then you yourself have to put the work in because apart from maybe two or three teachers they leave it all to you, yes they teach the class but after that its down to you.

If you are thinking of going to Rathmines, you should either apply now or the day after the results come out as it is a very popular college to repeat in, the cost of the course is €300 without a medical card but I am not sure on the cost with a medical card.

Hope this has helped yous, let me no if yous need to no anything else :)

Do they do Ag science in Rathmines? I had a look at the website it had other good subjects though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

You're not too old, I'm turning 20 in sept and I repeated in plunkets this year. There's loads of people who are 23/24 repeating. I plan on getting my place this year and deferring it. Think about it, you don't retire til youre 65? It's never too old to go to college.

Also anyone wanting to repeat in plunkets, you really have to put the work in. They're not strict and treat you like an adult. It's up to you to work, just like college will be. And you don't need to decide now, enrolment for plunkets is after the results so just try your best and if needs be you can decide in august :)

Hey, no they dont do ag science in Rathmines but i no girl in my year this year who just arranged to go to her old school for classes in this subject but is sitting the exam in Rathmines :)

Hey, no they dont do ag science in Rathmines but i no girl in my year this year who just arranged to go to her old school for classes in this subject but is sitting the exam in Rathmines :)

Oh right , my school doesn't do that, I could always get grinds outside or not do it. Rathmines has more subjects to choose from from most places I've looked at liking the idea of going there. How many people to you get in the year is there many? Or are the subjects in like certain bands and you have to choose from them and hope they don't clash with another subject?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Do you think it would be better to repeat in your old school where it is familiar and you know all the teachers etc or is it better to go to a new special repeat/grind school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

You don't have to repeat Maths, Irish or English, as long as you get the minimum requirement for your course (exception being Med, when you have to repeat all 3). Just thought I'd point that out:rolleyes:

Other that than, repeat if you need to. Don't do a course that's 5th on your CAO and you're only doing because you feel that you have to. College is an amazing experience if you're studying your dream course there. Studying becomes a somewhat enjoyable experience, rather than a chore.

And regards to this age thing, there's no difference between an 18 and 19 year old. It will make no difference when you're in college (other than that you'll be able to get into over 19s clubs). Twenty years from now you'll be glad you repeated, have your dream course, dream job and are enjoying life day to day because of this.

Oh right , my school doesn't do that, I could always get grinds outside or not do it. Rathmines has more subjects to choose from from most places I've looked at liking the idea of going there. How many people to you get in the year is there many? Or are the subjects in like certain bands and you have to choose from them and hope they don't clash with another subject?

Yeah there is a good few in the year but if you do end up going you will notice a bigger number at the start and then some people find out that repeating is not for them so they drop out, Em well not in bands really like there is one big timetable and diff groups subjects and when you go for your interview and get your place they will make up a timetable for you and try best do your subjects dont clash, only 2 of my subjects clashed which where Spanish and Accounting, so i dropped accounting and picked geography which suited me better cause i didnt really like accounting :) What subjects are you thinking of doing?

Do you think it would be better to repeat in your old school where it is familiar and you know all the teachers etc or is it better to go to a new special repeat/grind school?

I'd say it's better to go to a grind school. Everyone will be in the same boat . Whereas if you went back to school.Everyone will know your repeating an then with all your year gone. You'd feel more comfortable in a repeat place , an with new people. If you really liked your school then you could. If I went to mine I'd just do as bad an they don't do half the subjects I want. It'd be a like a new fresh start to put things right . Where do you feel you'd be the most happy?

• Advertisement

Yeah there is a good few in the year but if you do end up going you will notice a bigger number at the start and then some people find out that repeating is not for them so they drop out, Em well not in bands really like there is one big timetable and diff groups subjects and when you go for your interview and get your place they will make up a timetable for you and try best do your subjects dont clash, only 2 of my subjects clashed which where Spanish and Accounting, so i dropped accounting and picked geography which suited me better cause i didnt really like accounting :) What subjects are you thinking of doing?

geography, maths ,business (I do those currently) an take up classical studies, economics, biology and maybe spanish.

Advertisement