Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

picking up a new language for repeat?

• 12-06-2011 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

repeating next year, would you say it's possible to take up a foreign language such as japanese next year? Even if I study during the summer??

and any ideas on what subjects are handy to take up in a year??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Why would you pick Japanese?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Do pick up Japanese when you're repeating. That's what I did.
    It's a short course and the standard of Japanese expected of you is ridiculously low. There is very little grammar in Japanese, basically no properly irregular verbs, and it's a very logically based language.
    I advise you to learn the Hiragana and Katakana over the summer, and you may as well learn some kanji while you're at it.
    Buy Nihongo Kantan (easy Japanese) by Ursula Zimmermann, it's the (only) LC Japanese book. You can PM me at any time if you want to ask any Japanese questions..

http://www.examinations.ie/statistics/statistics_2010/Leaving_Certificate_National_Statistics.pdf <-- How many other subjects do you know where 30% of the people doing them get an A1? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Why not do Russian, in that case?
    Though many of the people who sat that exam may have been Polish, I suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 megumiwinS

Yeah I recommend Japanese too because I'm taking it now and I find it quite nice and easy to learn. Depending who you have as your teacher too. My teacher really made the class fun to learn and study. But you might find it hard though because of all the different alphabets.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Why not do Russian, in that case?
    Though many of the people who sat that exam may have been Polish, I suppose...

A high proportion of the people that take the Russian exam are actually Russian. There are very few Japanese people taking the leaving cert.

• Advertisement

Just one thing to note though, you should be practicing for the oral all year and really focusing on it.. Not doing that was my big mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 casperkiid

._. wrote: »
    Do pick up Japanese when you're repeating. That's what I did.
    It's a short course and the standard of Japanese expected of you is ridiculously low. There is very little grammar in Japanese, basically no properly irregular verbs, and it's a very logically based language.
    I advise you to learn the Hiragana and Katakana over the summer, and you may as well learn some kanji while you're at it.
    Buy Nihongo Kantan (easy Japanese) by Ursula Zimmermann, it's the (only) LC Japanese book. You can PM me at any time if you want to ask any Japanese questions..

http://www.examinations.ie/statistics/statistics_2010/Leaving_Certificate_National_Statistics.pdf <-- How many other subjects do you know where 30% of the people doing them get an A1? :p

That's really good to know, thank you! I want to do Japanese in College with French and Spannish so I figured it would be worthwhile in the long run any way. I'm still not sure where I'll be repeating but would you think I would be able to teach it to myself if there's no Japanese teacher where ever I do go??

Thanks!

Advertisement