Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sharpening your knives.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Second part of that set, showing the Edge Pro in action, some stropping tips and more paper cuts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Plus 1 ..Well impressive.Would you ever think of doing a course or hands on demo for knife sharpening Deise?Be plenty of folks intrested in that I think...I would be anyway.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

That's part of why I video the sharpening I am doing, just to show lads how I go about putting an edge back on.

If there is anything you want to see let me know, or if your ever down this way drop in and we can do some work on waterstones, or whatever you prefer to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Autosol or Peek are good!

Rub them in and let 'em dry, then strop away.

For a crooked knife a bit of dowel or brush handle with past on it might work well inside the curves?

Ye you've given me lots of ideas i'm gonna try out. Just had 360 sandpaper on a brush handle before. gonna try make a good strop for it too.

I've never stropped on fungus but I hear it's good?

Thin suedy leather and proper compounds for me, it works!

Its all i've ever used so nothing to compare it with but it seem to work pretty well. Ist good in that you dont have to buy anything but you have to keep replacing them. gonna make a few like you described earlier at some stage.

Here is some guy making one if anyones wondering, same idea as the leather: http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=pgp1apsQhXE

Can you put up a glossary of the Knife terms(strop, bevel, honing, sharpening etc.)you use, at the beginning of the thread. (found it a bit confusing at first).

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 remi243

Great post deise and very interesting to see how you go through the different stages!! I'd fancy one of the edge pros myself but I see it's mostly corse to medium stones as an option would it be difficult to source compatable Dimond stones for finer finishing? And deise would the same system you used in the vids work on fish filleting knives? As they are fairly thin and flexible ?

I'd fancy one of the edge pros myself but I see it's mostly corse to medium stones as an option would it be difficult to source compatable Dimond stones for finer finishing?
    The stock stones from Edge Pro are cheap and go up to a decent fine grit, their grit ratings are different from the ones used in Japan or different again from grit ratings for wet and dry paper for example. Edge Pro also do polishing tapes designed for finishing fibre optics, mounted on a glass blank they give a very nice polish.

Chefknivestogo do a chosera stone pack for he edge pro going from 400 to 10000 grit, I have the 3k, 5k and 10k stones and they leave a nice finish!

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/chedpro7pa.html

Being waterstones they wear, so I like to use diamond plates that stay flat and last ages. I bought 1x6 stones by Eze-LAP and mounted them to Edge Pro blanks myself.

http://eze-lap.com/hunting_fishing_outdoor_use/diamond-stones/

After 1200 grit Diamond I will either strop on my big leather strop, or polish with Choseras/polish tapes/strop I made for Edge Pro.
    would the same system you used in the vids work on fish filleting knives? As they are fairly thin and flexible ?
    It works well on fillet knives, boners and slicing knives as the blade is supported by the table. Just the edge overhangs so you are not relying on the blade's stiffness to hold contact with the abrasive.

If I were to buy again, I would be happy enough with the Edge Pro Apex basic kit, and source diamond stones from DMT or Atoma or Eze-Lap.

Polish tapes, Cubic Boron Nitride, Chromium Oxide, etc. are nice to haves.

I would get the Drill collar clamp and Angle Cube again also, nothing like repeatable accuracy in a system like this.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edgepro.html

I went with the Pro. version as it has a clamp system for doing scissors, if I ever figure out how to do those convex Japanese hairdresser's scissors! :eek:

http://www.edgeproinc.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

Brilliant videos, brilliant thread. Well done and thank you. It is generous contributions like this that make this forum the best forum on the web. A++

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Granite Head

If I were to buy again, I would be happy enough with the Edge Pro Apex basic kit, and source diamond stones from DMT or Atoma or Eze-Lap.

Polish tapes, Cubic Boron Nitride, Chromium Oxide, etc. are nice to haves.

I would get the Drill collar clamp and Angle Cube again also, nothing like repeatable accuracy in a system like this.

Great post Deise - often revisited by me.

I was hoping to get a knife sharpening set up for my knives (mainly scandi grind and two convex grind folders, along with the usual array of kitchen knives).

Would the Edge Pro Apex basic kit be sufficient? What other items would you include from Edge Pro if you were ordering again?

Also when you got your Edge Pro were you hit with custom duties?

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, Muirean Bradley, All Together Now, Bonny Prince Billy, Phosphorescent, Ride, Dirt Birds, Katel Keinig, Melts, Tommy Tiernan, The Libertines, The Last Dinner Party, St. Vincent, Los Bitchos, Iron & Wine x2, John Grant, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Public Service Broadcasting, Fat Dog, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, MJ Lenderman, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Fontaines DC, Villagers, Confidence Man, Amble

Would the Edge Pro Apex basic kit be sufficient?

Yes, it's a very good kit. Depending on the level of finish you want to get you may want some of the higher grit stones. The only trouble with the stones is that they wear and leave a gritty slurry around the table. This can scratch up the sides of your knife. You can tape the sides or just get diamond plates and use those instead. No flattening needed and a long service life :D
    What other items would you include from Edge Pro if you were ordering again?

I got the pro kit, all the stones, glass blanks, polish tapes, diamond stones and chosera stones.I would buy less doing it again if anything! The gadget itself with DMT/Atoma or Eze-Lap diamonds and a large strop is all you really need. I love the angle cube and the drill stop collar, both do basically the same job but the angle cube lets you set an exact angle, or match an existing one.
    scandi grind and two convex grind folders, along with the usual array of kitchen knives

The convex edges are better done on a mouse mat with wet and dry paper abrasive, matches the contours better. The Apex will sharpen everything else bar very hooked blades like kerambits or some of the Spyderco knives (Harpy and Civilian).

Currently I am looking for a motor for my belt sander, it'll let me convex knives quickly and then either finish on the edge-pro or do them entirely up to leather stropping on the sander.
    Convex is very good on kitchen knives, especially softer western steels. Japanese knives often have asymmetrical or totally one sided chisel edges, so Edge Pro is still the best bet there.

Have you tried the mouse mat and sandpaper methos on your kitchen knives? It works well and is easy to maintain and touch up on a loaded strop or fine grit paper. Good for camp knives and larger cleaver type choppers as well, with a thicker angle used to handle the forces involved. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

Well done Deise Musashi that is +1 post for all the time and effort you have put into it.
    You should do some classes on this could be a nice little earner for you.

Thanks for the great response Deise
    The gadget itself with DMT/Atoma or Eze-Lap diamonds and a large strop is all you really need.

This is what I was thinking but I presume I would need some sort of blanks to mount the DMT diamond stones? Are there a compatible blanks for the Edge Pro?

The convex edges are better done on a mouse mat with wet and dry paper abrasive, matches the contours better.

This is what I currently do for the convex blades - so no change there:)
    Have you tried the mouse mat and sandpaper methos on your kitchen knives?

I never thought of that - thanks

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, Muirean Bradley, All Together Now, Bonny Prince Billy, Phosphorescent, Ride, Dirt Birds, Katel Keinig, Melts, Tommy Tiernan, The Libertines, The Last Dinner Party, St. Vincent, Los Bitchos, Iron & Wine x2, John Grant, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Public Service Broadcasting, Fat Dog, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, MJ Lenderman, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Fontaines DC, Villagers, Confidence Man, Amble

Edge Pro sell the aluminium strips for mounting the stones to, but it's just that. A bit of inch wide ally with the ends beveled. You should be able to get them made up and just glue the DMT to them. I have one DMT stone, it's only four inches long compared to the six inch Edge Pro and Eze Lap stones, which is why I only have the XX fine one ;)

DSCF1598.jpg

The more standard 2x6 stones would do the job the finest, I have one 2" wide Eze Lap in a coarse grit for hogging off steel.

DSCF1599.jpg

Thanks as ever Deise.

Is the second in from the left on the first picture a leather strop?

Yes that's a homemade strop for the edge pro, the one on the far left is another strop using paper medical tape on a glass blank with polishing compound on top.
    The paper has less give than the leather, but I found the leather to polish better.

Trial and error lad, that's how anal I get if left to my own for too long :D

I was sent another few knives to sharpen ;)

DSCF0056.jpg

One was unusual as it was half serrated, but the front half!

DSCF0065.jpg

DSCF0064.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

The owner wanted those removed if possible. I took the opportunity to set a shallow convex vee bevel instead of the almost chisel grind it came with!

DSCF0076.jpg

and the Remington, just off a fresh 120 grit belt!
    Tip was a bit chipped so I remade that as well.

DSCF0081.jpg

Big bag of belts, down to leather stropping belts

DSCF0075.jpg

and the Viel S5 belt sander, I use the slack portion of belt between the platen and top wheel to convex on.

DSCF0074.jpg

I also made a bit of video to show the motion and to try and catch how shiny the edges are off the leather power strop.

• Advertisement

I've had another knife from a forum member, she was a bit flogged and needed some care and attention!

Hope this one is ok, the lad who owns, it his PM's are full so I'll post this here ;)

I'm always available to touch up lad's knives and/or kitchen knives, butchery, gardening tools etc.

Send me your gear and a self addressed envelope, we are good to go!

All the best lads!

Eric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭243Xpress

How much do you charge per knife.
    Regards
    243xpress

I've made a little video on what I cal "Hillbilly Sharpening" for lads who ask me how to sharpen their kit with very little in the way of equipment.

A few varying grits of sandpaper, a cheap set of diamond stones from Lidl/Aldi and an old leather belt are all you really need. Hopefully this makes sense and takes away some of the mystique involved in getting a good edge on.

Thanks for watching lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

This is by far the best instruction on sharpening I've seen! I've been trying to get my own knives sharpened properly for ages and have seen so many conflicting ideas. But at least now I know what to get and how to use it properly :)

Def agree with some of the posters before (yeah, know it was quite a while ago lol) - you should set up some training days on sharpening. Mind you, don't think the Gardai would be too happy on a load of people arriving into town with lots of knives :D

Anyway, keep up the good work

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

OUTSTANDING Deise!!!
    I've been sharpening knives nigh on 30 years with varying degrees of sucess.This vid has been the most clearest and simplest to see and understand with the most minimal of equipment and absloute least BS.
    Finally somone shows how to use a strop and a good tip to see if you are on the proper knife sharpening angle with a felt tip marker.

So this gets the Grizzly 45 seal of approval.:D

I would still run the classes and to prevent the Gardai getting upset,just run it on a five or six per head per class.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

This is by far the best instruction on sharpening I've seen! I've been trying to get my own knives sharpened properly for ages and have seen so many conflicting ideas. But at least now I know what to get and how to use it properly smile.gif

Thanks lad, very glad if this helps any other hunters out! Best thing is to try it out on an older knife, but one with decent steel that can take an edge. A crap knife will drive you mad, no way of knowing if the technique or steel is the problem. Failing all else, I am happy to set an edge for you and you can maintain the edge for ages then.
    So this gets the Grizzly 45 seal of approval.biggrin.gif

Good to hear it lad, I'm all mortified now! ;)

I'm trying to get some decent vids. up, upgraded to a HD camera for the craic. Sort of like distance learning ;)

If anyone is in the vicinity, I am happy to show any tools or go over any points need clarifying. It would help me put better info. on the youtube videos as well, knowing where I haven't been clear enough or explained well enough would really help me to improve my clips.

Cheers for the feedback lads, much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Thanks lad, very glad if this helps any other hunters out!
    And budding chefs too! :)

I love to cook, and even more to eat! :D

Advertisement