Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural Work - Frustrated!

Options
  • 12-06-2011 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi, I have been in Mildura in north west Victoria for the last two weeks but have grown increasingly frustrated with the working hostel process and how little I am earning. I had hoped to save some money while obtaining my 2nd year visa but what little work was here for $12 an hour is drying up and I'll be moving on.

I was hoping that someone who has been through the process before might be willing to share some advise/contacts. Ideally I am looking for a tractor driving position directly with a farmer but would also consider picking, etc where it is possible to earn some decent money. Willing to travel anywhere. Hoping someone out there can help me out, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Same thing happened to me and four other's i know up there. They also tried a place outside Brisbane and same thing happened. It can be very frustrating. We planned on doing the same and saving money but were only paid 10 an hour. Was not getting work every day either so who knows how long it would have taken to get 88 days. They promise you work to get you into there hostels to make money even if there is little or no work. If you leave after a week or two they just get more unsuspecting people in.
    In saying that i also know a girl doing it at the moment and its going grand for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I have about 5 mates who all did their seasonal work in Griffith NSW. A lot of the local farmers, wineries and factories use Skilled for picking up workers so I reckon sign up with them if you can. As long as its in the right area code the work will count towards your 2nd year visa too.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Happend me also up in Mildura some joke also happended me in a place called Cabolture about 40kms from Brisbane CBD as a result of the one in Brisbane I'm almost skint. Came back down to Melbourne and thankfully got a job. Really wana do the 88days asap but doesn't seem worth the hassle. Going to look into doing building site work in South Australia as that also qualifys you to get the 2nd year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Guys, go with WWOOF or HelpX to get your 3 months work. The goal is to get a second year visa, not to make a fortune, and going down the wwoofing route it is far easier to get your 3 months done without delay. And you get to live with a local family and share stories rather than slumming it in a crummy working hostel spending a fortune on accomodation.

Nice room to myself and home cooked meals. Yes please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

For any lads looking for work, look for work in construction in a rural area. I know there is a melbourne based irish construction company building a bridge about 200km from melbourne. Know a few fellas working there for their 3 months. Getting union rates and doing 10 to 12 hour shifts so clearing somewhere around 2k a week. A lot better than picking fruit anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Barwon Heads Bridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

04072511 wrote: »
    Guys, go with WWOOF or HelpX to get your 3 months work. The goal is to get a second year visa, not to make a fortune, and going down the wwoofing route it is far easier to get your 3 months done without delay. And you get to live with a local family and share stories rather than slumming it in a crummy working hostel spending a fortune on accomodation.

Nice room to myself and home cooked meals. Yes please!!

Where did yo do your rural work? Did you look at getting paid work or were you set on woofing from the start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

melb wrote: »
    Where did yo do your rural work? Did you look at getting paid work or were you set on woofing from the start?

Never even considered paid work really. When I get back from travel I only have 3 and a half months to get my farm work done so cant afford to take the risk doing fruit picking and waiting around for work.

I'm actually doing 2 weeks at the start of July on a sheep farm in the Grampians, staying with a local family, which should be fun. If they want me back after my travels that would be great. If not I'll get looking straight away for a place to do the rest of my farm work. I'll have 3.5 months to do 2.5 months so will have a bit of a cushion now thanks to these 2 weeks in July coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Zambia wrote: »
    Barwon Heads Bridge?

Could be wrong but I think the work is in Sale, Vic.
    04072511 wrote: »
    Never even considered paid work really.

Alot of money to be made in 3 months. Can make a big difference to the rest of your time in Oz..

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

s.c wrote: »
    For any lads looking for work, look for work in construction in a rural area. I know there is a melbourne based irish construction company building a bridge about 200km from melbourne. Know a few fellas working there for their 3 months. Getting union rates and doing 10 to 12 hour shifts so clearing somewhere around 2k a week. A lot better than picking fruit anyway..

Would that be for a general labourer? would you need experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Can anyone recommend the best way of finding rural work? best town to head to? best pay? etc. somewhere nearish to Melbourne.

Seek.au doesnt seem to have much

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Can anyone recommend the best way of finding rural work? best town to head to? best pay? etc. somewhere nearish to Melbourne.

Seek.au doesnt seem to have much

You won't find it on the web (I assume you mean fruit picking) as since there is a good demand they don't need paid advertisement.

I would wait until you land in Aus, hostels, other backpackers etc will have info, you won't get work via ireland anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stephenmario

s.c wrote: »

Hey Are they still building that bridge? And could you pm me the name of the company if you know it :D

Seems to be quite a lot of people having trouble getting there 88 days in. Suppose with the crop devastation in QLD and the fact that it's winter now in most places it will be even harder. Still planning on looking around SA and see what happens though reports I've been reading here and on other sites does not look good.

Are there any websites(fee and non-fee) that people have signed up too to get the rural work and have had positive experiences?

I've found it near impossible to get farm / fruit picking work in rural areas. I went to Mildura in January and there was only work the odd days cause the weather was so bad and there's barley any work in Queensland as well. I want the 2nd year visa but its not looking good at the moment. Have 5months left in which to find a way to do the 88days :(

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    I've found it near impossible to get farm / fruit picking work in rural areas. I went to Mildura in January and there was only work the odd days cause the weather was so bad and there's barley any work in Queensland as well. I want the 2nd year visa but its not looking good at the moment. Have 5months left in which to find a way to do the 88days :(

I saw one lad here was on about WOOFing before wonder how that went for him? Won't make money but you'll get R&B and it won't cost you anything.

Same have about 5 months to get it at the end of the day though theres always NZ(they let anyone in)!!

melb wrote: »
    I saw one lad here was on about WOOFing before wonder how that went for him? Won't make money but you'll get R&B and it won't cost you anything.

Same have about 5 months to get it at the end of the day though theres always NZ(they let anyone in)!!

Ya thats true but I don't think there is much work on offer there unless I'm wrong now. Oz seems to hhave more oppertunitys in general.

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    Ya thats true but I don't think there is much work on offer there unless I'm wrong now. Oz seems to hhave more oppertunitys in general.

Yeah from what I hear NZ is more expensive. Still, its an option if people don't get their farm work done in Aus. Auckland has plenty of work by all accounts and if its construction your after than Christchurch is the place to be :eek:

Advertisement