Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban RIP threads in Politics

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

So if an RIP thread is opened about a non-celebrity drink driver that killed themselves and/or others, nobody is allowed to say anything bad about them?

So celebrity (or in this case, the flimsiest definition of such) in itself is worthy of respect no matter what the action or consequence?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

If a user wants to open an RIP thread about a drink driver that killed himself and someone else then thats the posters choice. no-one is forcing you to post something nice. So yes, thats right, you have to resist the urge to spew vitriol and bile onto your keyboard and hope enough spills onto the interwebz. I would think the lack of well wishing and RIP sentiments should speak for itself.

No, celebrity does not equal protection or censorship. You can still discuss the negative facets of the individual just NOT IN A RIP OR CONDOLENCE THREAD

seriously, is it so hard to imagine that there is ONE place where you *cannot* post negative comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

LoLth wrote: »
    If a user wants to open an RIP thread about a drink driver that killed himself and someone else then thats the posters choice. no-one is forcing you to post something nice. So yes, thats right, you have to resist the urge to spew vitriol and bile onto your keyboard and hope enough spills onto the interwebz. I would think the lack of well wishing and RIP sentiments should speak for itself.

No, celebrity does not equal protection or censorship. You can still discuss the negative facets of the individual just NOT IN A RIP OR CONDOLENCE THREAD

seriously, is it so hard to imagine that there is ONE place where you *cannot* post negative comments?

The threads shouldn't be in AH in the first place.

It seems silly that the same people queuing up to say RIP would be savaging a non-celebrity protagonist for the same act.

I take your point though but I think your tone isn't very nice. You're addressing me like a child that is proving stubborn to a particular lesson you have in mind. I'm merely disagreeing with you but believe I'm doing so in a way that doesn't contravene any rules and is reasonable/respectful.

stovelid wrote: »
    The threads shouldn't be in AH in the first place.

It seems silly that the same people queuing up to say RIP would be savaging a non-celebrity protagonist for the same act.

I take your point though but I think your tone isn't very nice. You're addressing me like a child that is proving stubborn to a particular lesson you have in mind. I'm merely disagreeing with you but believe I'm doing so in a way that doesn't contravene any rules and is reasonable/respectful.

I've posted the same thing repeatedly in this thread. I apologise if you feel my tone is off but honestly, read back on what has been written. In nearly every single post I have posted "dont post bad things in RIP/Condolence" threads. I've defined a policy for it. I'm starting to run out of ways that I can say the same thing.

post #41:
    I think the clue is in the title of the thread "RIP" and "condolences" have connotations of respect and decency not "free for all".

post #55:
    the point I was making is that while a poster might not agree with praise being given to the deceased, there is a time and place to post their objections and a RIP/condolence thread it NOT the place.

post #59
    I'll make this as clear as possible: A condolence/RIP thread is NOT the place for disagreements or debate. It is a thread for offering condolences on a person's passing or to extoll the virtues of the deceased. If you dont want to read nice things about a person because you feel they are untrue, then dont read the thread. If you want to post your negative opinion of the person, then you are free to do so in the proper place

post #62
    so: in general on boards.ie

RIP threads are places for offering condolences and nice/neutral thoughts on the deceased (yes, this means praise). its the whole purpose of these threads.

Posting arguments or disparaging remarks abotu the deceased is not an acceptable form of behaviour. The forum may be the place for it but the thread most certainly is not.

Posting "the truth" also has a time and place and the sensitivities of the situation should be taken into account before posting.

post #112:
    RIP / Condolence threads are just that, threads to offer condolences to the deceased's family or offer up a kind word about the deceased. Negative comments have no place there. If you have something negative to say do it elsewhere. This shouldnt require any other rule more formal than "dont be a dick" but just for clarity, posting a negative comment in a RIP/Condolence thread that is, by its nature, highly sensitive and most likely to have crystallised opinions is, for all intents and purposes deliberately trolling to get a rise out of the posters that want to read and avail of the opportunity to post in the spirit in which the thread was intended. So, officially, troll a RIP/Condolence thread and you will be dealt with under boards.ie's rules for trolling and possibly abusive posting. Mods will still be expected to make a judgement call on what is a negative post and may take offense to a sarcastic post so when posting on a condolence thread please be sure to be as clear in your intentions as possible. This applies to ALL forums that allow the posting of RIP/Condolence threads

Whether RIP/Condolence threads are allowed or not is up to the moderators to discuss and decide for their individual forum and, if not allowed, this should be reflected in the charter of the forum so the users can know before they post.

post #114:
    from the general we have a "dont post negative things in a RIP /condolence thread". That seems pretty straightforward.

and

post #117
    I think its more like saying "you can have your say but you have to take your environment into consideration. Here is not appropriate but we have a place setup over here that would welcome your opinion - within the rules of the forum"

Should RIP threads be in AH? thats up to the moderators but if they are allowed, then they follow the policy. and the policy does not differentiate between the subjects of a thread, a RIP /condolence thread is a RIP/Condolence thread end of story.

Does this give rise to possible abuse? yes it does. We have a rule, no advertising and we have a rule, no trolling. And yet we still get users trolling and advertising and then claiming that they have a different definition of those terms than boards.ie and so they should not be penalised. No system is ever going to be foolproof and usable at the same time. We have a basic policy that is a refinement of the "dont be a dick" rule. it may need futher refinement, it shouldnt but spanners will always try to be smart and abuse a rule for their own amusement. if it does need refinement, then it will be further refined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lolth, where is anyone asking to be allowed spew vitriol and bile? AH is a discussion forum, not a "Only say one thing" forum, therefore it's the wrong place for RIP threads. Saying "****er deserved to die" is uncalled for, but unbridled respect for a public figure who made his name with irresponsible stunts, and zero tolerance of any questioning of this... is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

you allow negative posts and you will get vitriol and bile. Some posters just cant help themselves or feel that they are somehow entitled to post their opinion regardless of the time, place or environment.

Yes, some negative statements may be true. I may even agree with some or feel more strongly about others.it doesnt matter. They dont get posted in RIP/Condolence threads.

what you call undeserved respect or over the top praise may be what the other user feels to be perfectly accurate. If you want to debate that then feel free to do so just not in the RIP /Condolence thread.

If this is not fitting within the ethos of politics or AH or photography or LGB&T then the mods should dissallow such threads. If the threads are allowed, then they follow the policy.

Advertisement