Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hawke or leapers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

fitzy700 wrote: »
    well lad's just looking for a bit of advice im buying a scope in the near future
    but the fund's limit me to about the 300 euro mark i was looking at these two

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/global/ri...nder/index.php
    or this
    http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.p...2AOMDL&status=
    any advice would be welcome (clarity,reciol test's,ajustment's,distance)stuff
    like that

regard's fitzy

To be honest for €300 you should pick up a good secondhand scope in a RFD here.
    I'd question how good an 8-32x56 leapers is on 32 power.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Shane.sf

I would definitely advise a second hand scope from a trusted source. You can get very good scopes now for good money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Fitzy,
    True, a scope made by Zeiss, S&B, Swaro, NightForce, US Optics, and such will be fantastic, money well spent if you can afford it and if your shooting can take advantage of it.

There are a lot of great scopes that do not break the bank. My personal favorite, as stated herein all to often, is the Burris Fullfield II or E1. These $200 scopes are, in my opinion, the most scope per dollar spent.

There are a lot of great scopes out there: Burris, Bushnell, Redfield, and Leupold to name a few. €300 will buy you a great scope.

What do you want to do: bench rest, bunnies, deer?

I have Redfield scopes older than some of the posters on this board that I would not trade for anything.

I also have a few Nikon Prostaff's that are great as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

for what its worth i bought a hawke think is 4-16x50 and im shooting bunnies +200 yards which i think is alright i dont see a problem with it. i looked through a 32 magnification hawke and found it very blurry hence why i bought the other one . it illuminated too which i find handy when lamping when its turned down to the last. saying that i looked through a friends swarovski and i could not believe the clarity but funds dont allow at the min

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

FISMA,

The scopes the OP is looking at are hi mag (leapers 8-32x56) and a fullfield II over here is a hell of a lot more €€€ than $200.
    Comparing the price of scopes in the US and the price over here is just rubbing our nose in it!

It's next to impossible to get anyone to ship a scope out of the US.

I have and others have bought good second hand scopes for that price and regretted it :(

Post from a thread on another forum :

"ive been having problems with a scope i bought

purchased a meopta 7x50 off a lad on another sight in the uk

and after ,maybe hundred rounds or so off ammo

i now know the scope is fecked ,i didnt want to believe there was a problem with the scope ,and that i could be ripped

was out today with the .223 and the 30 06
    .223 grand not a bother on her
    the 30 06 immediately causing hassle

i couldn even hit the target at 100 yards ,

enough was enough ,i went home took the meopta off the 30 06 and fitted it to the .223
    set up a target at 25 yards out the back off the house

fired a shot ,5 inches low and 3 inches to the left of where i was aiming

adjusted ,5 clicks up and 3 to the right

fired ,half inch away from my first shot

made the same adjustment

fired , nearly touching my first shot

made same adjustment

fired same crap

conclusion :scope is fu*ked
    be careful buying off someone you have no comeback from"

If the OP wants the peace of mind of buying new for that price with high mag variables the his options are limited and Hawke is probably his best option.

• Advertisement

FISMA,
    The scopes the OP is looking at are hi mag (leapers 8-32x56) and a fullfield II over here is a hell of a lot more €€€ than $200.
    Comparing the price of scopes in the US and the price over here is just rubbing our nose in it!
    It's next to impossible to get anyone to ship a scope out of the US.
    I have and others have bought good second hand scopes for that price and regretted it :(

Fish Slapped,
    I too hate to buy second hand scopes as I just do not know the history behind and find that people try to flog their junk off on others.

I hope I do not come off as rubbing your nose it in as that is not my intention. Indeed there are numerous people on the board whom I have either directly helped or offered to help. To those, please remain silent.

I offer my prices as it helps me get a feel for pricing. The Night Eater scope is a $100 scope. The burris at $200 is more than twice the scope.

Usually, I do a quick search on ebay.ie to see what is available to ye. Currently, you can get

Burris 3-9x40mm Fullfield with a free bipod for €155.27 + €27.85

Burris 4.5-14x40 for €243 + $49

Burris 6.5-20x50mm for €340 + $70

These prices are a good bit more than you would have to pay in the States, but not that bad.

I encourage the OP to consider quality for magnification. 8-32 is BIG :eek: magnification. If you need it - so be it, if you want it - consider again why.

I just don't want to see you buy a piece of glass that will be useless in a year from now.

OP - some day you may have the dosh to get the S&B, Zeiss, USO, or NF. Even if/when that day comes, a Burris will still be useful, you'll never consider it to be junk.

Don't mix up a good value with cheap stuff.

Lads, I just got off of the phone with OpticsPLanet and they informed me that they will ship some scopes to Ireland.

Bushnell, Leupold, and Zeiss will be shipped.

Leupold, Burris, Redfield, S&B, Swaro, and NF will not be shipped.

I am starting a new thread to see if I can help ye out, so please comment on scope shipping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭fitzy700

cheer's lad's for the advice, fisma i did try to go down that route with optics planet not to long ago and when i went on live chat on the website to find out about the shipping the agent told me sorry we dont ship to ireland and then i saw a post on one of the thread's here saying they do so i rang them up and they told me for the second time they dont :confused: i would like to get a scope this way because they have some great deals

fitzy

fitzy700 wrote: »
    cheer's lad's for the advice, fisma i did try to go down that route with optics planet not to long ago and when i went on live chat on the website to find out about the shipping the agent told me sorry we dont ship to ireland and then i saw a post on one of the thread's here saying they do so i rang them up and they told me for the second time they dont :confused: i would like to get a scope this way because they have some great deals
    fitzy

Fitzy,
    What scope are you looking at?

If it is a Nikon or Bushnell, please try again. This time, please ask the person with whom you are chatting their first name. I will then call and get a manager and we'll see what's up.

Otherwise, did you just try putting it in the cart and checking out?

The lad I talked to was pretty well informed. He had the list and I asked away.

Please advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭fitzy700

cheers fisma ill do that over the next couple of days to see and ill get back to you to let you know what the crack is

fitzy

Advertisement