Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep frying without chip pan or deep fat fryer??

Options
  • 12-06-2011 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Guys need a bit of advice, I want to cook some homemade deep fried chips to go with steak later but don't have a deep fat fryer or chip pan. I have a stainless steel pot and am wondering if it is possible to use this if I fill it with vegetable oil?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Should be no problem, I use a wok with sunflower oil in it to cook my chippies !! If you have a slotted spoon to lift them out that's cool.

I know you didn't ask but I'm gonna tell you anyway - to get the best chips - heat the oil, quite hot, not smoking, dunk your potatoes few at a time and par cook them, leave your par cooked chips to one side and bring the oil back up to hot temperature (as the frying of the spuds cools it down), then put the par cooked potatoes back in again, you will get the cripsiest chippies around I tell ya;)

Salt and vinegar and off ya go ! Enjoy !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Use the biggest pot you have and don't fill it more than halfway.
    When you add the chips the oil will foam and if the pot is full of oil the spilled oil will run down the side and catch fire = bad news.
    When you fry your chips fry in small batches, don't overfill the pot.
    You are soaking your chips first to get the starch out right?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Chip pan = pot with oil in it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CJhaughey wrote: »
    When you fry your chips fry in small batches, don't overfill the pot.
    And dumping lots of cold potatoes will chill the oil right down too.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    You are soaking your chips first to get the starch out right?
    And pat them dry on a tea towel to stop the water boiling when it hits the oil and spitting all over the place.

I think there is some trick to tell if the oil is hot enough, something like putting a little bit of white bread in and it turns brown in a "X seconds"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Use a pot and oil, but the rule of thumb is "Do not fill the pot more than one third with oil", as adding chips will displace oil and frothing caused by moisture in the chips can flow very high. A pot filled halfway can easily overflow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Chip pan may well be a pot with oil in it, but it also has a basket - useful for removing the chips when done but also important to whip the potatoes out if there is any danger of the oil spilling over the top. 1/3rd full sounds about right. Dry the supds as advised above, because it the moisture the causes the oil to froth up.

Of course you could avoid all the fuss and simply invest in a deep fat fryer. Get a bag of panko breadcrumbs too and have a ball. The world is your oyster (deep fried in a tempura batter and served with a tartare sauce).;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Powercity do little mini 1 litre ones.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=60-15-E813WH&brands=LLOYTRON

Some others take up too much space and you need to much oil to get to the minimum level for my liking. I would like to deep fry in coconut oil which is quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

in masterchef austrilia they made chucky chips this week. im gonna make them tomorrow, cut the spuds into chucky chips power boil them for 5 minutes and then put them in the fridge for 6 hours. then fry them in peanut oil for about 3 minutes. the fridge part is supposed to make them really crispy. dont have a fryer so just gonna use the wok

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

power boil them

Par boil them I guess?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can do it that way, or just fry on a low heat 150-160 until they are cooked but not crisped/browned
    Chill and cook from chilled.

• Advertisement
Advertisement