Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyfermot ??

Options
  • 12-06-2011 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

Want to rent a house in ballyfermot, got a job there. How is the area? I heard it is not quite good area to live in, are there good places at least, which part is good which is bad?? Thank you all for replies!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Where in ballyfermot is your job, it's not that bad but it's not a great place either. A lot of the older areas are quiet nice but can be difficult to get a place to rent in. The newer areas I have been in would be a bit dodgy but that's only my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

I live in the ranch and love it here, the ranch is in ballyfermot but it was built for the railway workers before the rest of ballyfermot so the style of houses is a lot different. to be honest i wouldnt really like to live in most of the places in ballyfermot but thats purely for aesthetics ( i just dont like the look of the properties) I dont think its a bad place at all, no rougher than most places in dublin, but if you really dont like ballyfermot, inchicore and kilmainham are lovely and only a ten minute bus journey to ballyfermot plus a lot closer to town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 buckis

The thing is that my job will start early and finish late, around 20pm, so in winter it is dark already and I am a bit afraid to walk this late. My job would be on ballyfermot road, near kylemore road, is it safe to walk in the late evening? which part of ballyfermot is safer, upper?lower? Is it worse then finglas/jobstown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I find it worse then Finglas, when the sun goes down the zombies come out. I'd get a place in Chapelizod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 buckis

RasTa wrote: »
    I find it worse then Finglas, when the sun goes down the zombies come out.

That,s probably truth!! :):) That,s why every second house is for sale in there and for a very low price. I will think about chapelizod. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bensonx

yeah id say its worse than finglas easy,
    i only eva had to get a bus through it but something mad happened everytime on the bus, its grand like but if your a woman by urself i wudnt be goin around in the dark
    you dont have to live there just because you work there like,
    the best thing for you to do is finish work and get on a bus out of there in to town where theres more people around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Rachiee wrote: »
    I live in the ranch and love it here, the ranch is in ballyfermot but it was built for the railway workers before the rest of ballyfermot so the style of houses is a lot different.

As good as Inchicore.
    Not sure where Inchicore starts, I'd imagine it's under the railway bridge. But back when the Ranch was built it was farmland and for dairy cattle. Hence the name

But you are in the good end.
    Better to be here OP then down by Cherry Orchard end

I'm by the Steeples, technically Chapelizod but practically Ballyfermot.

For you, I'd recommend you go to Chapelizod village. If you don't drive it's a nice cycle with a nice hill on St. Lawrence's Road

Perfectly safe to walk around Ballyfermot at 8pm, been doing it for years.
    You mention Kylemore Rd. Well if you're walking past Labre Park it can be dodgy and the itinerants have been known to throw stones at cars and cyclists. You can search Labre Park on boards, lots of posts over in cycling forum

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ellegee

I've been living in Lower Ballyfermot for 3 years, coming and going at all hours and have had no problem, love the area and feel very safe.

I'm not from here originally and had heard vague bad things about the area but that all seems to be very out of date. Any anti-social behaviour seems to be up at the Cherry Orchard end of things (which is quite far up).

I wouldn't like to walk up and down the Kylmore road (past the railway bridge) at night simply because it gets very quiet traffic-wise, and a bit creepy, but I don't think it's actually unsafe (I walk up and down it no problem during the day). I'd walk the Kylemore Road from Landen Road to Ballyfermot roundabout at any time as it's always a bit busier because there are houses on that stretch of Kylemore.

Oh and the reason you see a lot of houses for sale in the area is that it's an old area so a lot of the first residents are now elderly and there are a lot of estate sales. But at the same time there are lots of families with kids as well so there is a really nice generational mix to the area.

The reason the houses seem cheap is duh, there's been a property crash. But the area is very settled, is inside the M50 and 20 minutes from town on the bus in rush-hour - buy a "cheap" house here now and you'll be laughing in years to come :)

Advertisement