Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business or Economics

• 12-06-2011 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Thinking of doing an extra subject for the LC.Im doing TY next year so going to do it over 3 years.Which subject do you think is the best business or economics.Im doing business hl for the JC.Any pros or cons for these subject.Thanks for read if you have the time would like to hear your views.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

Oh. Economics definately.
    The course is far smaller.

Business is more tedious. I loved it for JC (got a HL B).

But on Tuesday I think im going to struggle to even get a C3 in HL. :(

The course is really big. If you really like the accounts, you should do accountancy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭juncert

Thanks for that,i like accounts but afraid on my own it might be to much.Economics seems to be up to date information on the countries economics needed but business seem to be just learning the book,would this be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

Yeah. Economics can be covered easily. Your revision can even be just reading a Broadsheet Newspaper (well not really but it helps alot!)

With Business you have to be willing to put in the hours to learn the book more or less word for word. They can ask ANYTHING :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

I would say the opposite. Got an A in Business in JC and hoping for A1 on Tuesday. Thats with no study till last Friday. Depends if your business minded. If you are a good chunk of the course is common sense IMO. EU & IR are two that need a bit of learning. But Consumer Conflict is same as JC, Insurance & Tax are easy for me as I have experience in both.

Economics is easy if you learn the graphs. Theres quite a bit common sense in it too.

One thing I would say with both courses is they are marked in the stupidest way possible. If your answer isn't on the marking scheme you get no marks. Even if its 100% right. They try and make both subjects questions black and white. But you cannot do it. There are endless answers for a lot of questions. For example Name three methods of reducing your home insurance bill. I said elect for a higher excess and got marked wrong. Stupidity -all it does it mean people who are good at learning of lists get A1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'm doing both.
    Business is one of the easiest subjects on the whole leaving cert. I'd say do that.
    The graphs in economics are off putting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

In 1 year: Economics. Its a small course and if you have an interest in it you'll be fine.

Business is easy enough, but a bit big to be covering in a single year.

Accounting is too much for a single year.

I'm doing all 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭juncert

Thanks lads,lots to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

If your doing it over 3 years and are actually willing to work I'd say do business. It's pure learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

There's one question every year on a general economics question. Reading the paper or watching the news is studying for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chels_

I'd definitely recommend doing both! I do both of them and I think they really compliment eachother! Some chapters have quite strong links and the subjects overlap quite abit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

I do all three business subjects , looking for an A1 in each over the next two weeks.

Accounting can be a b!tch on your own if your not putting in constant work. Some things you'll probably need a teacher for aswell.

Economics is the shortest, most predictable exam , but elasticity ,national income & all the graphs may be very confusing at first.

Business , picked it up this year , very similar to HL junior cert , if your looking at a junior cert A then you could find all the learning very easy, it is purely definitions though, might not suit some people.

Personally i'd pick business, but economics has it's advantages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

If your thinking of doing some sort of business or economics course at third level, I would recommend Economics. Apparently those who do it at 3rd level find it more difficult to pick up without having done it for LC, rather than picking up business if you get me. The general concesus is that although Business is a longer course, it is far more easier than Economics. I only do Economics so I cant comment on that..but personally, I love the subject and Im hoping for the A1 wednesday week, although the paper seems to be getting more difficult as the years progress.
    Why not do both? I really regret not doing business and picking history instead! Economics and Business overlap a good bit from what I can gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Thatguy97

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    I do all three business subjects , looking for an A1 in each over the next two weeks.

Accounting can be a b!tch on your own if your not putting in constant work. Some things you'll probably need a teacher for aswell.

Economics is the shortest, most predictable exam , but elasticity ,national income & all the graphs may be very confusing at first.

Business , picked it up this year , very similar to HL junior cert , if your looking at a junior cert A then you could find all the learning very easy, it is purely definitions though, might not suit some people.

Personally i'd pick business, but economics has it's advantages.

Hey DaveMur1, which of the business subjects (i.e. business or economics) is of more relevance to accounting? Im not looking for the information they share with accounting, but rather their relevance to the subject. A reply from anyone would be much appreciated!! :)

Advertisement