Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of Pampas Grass

Options
  • 12-06-2011 12:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38

The previous owners of my house panted horrible Pampas Grass in the front garden. How do I get rid of it? Its massive - probably 2 metres in diameter and against the low front garden wall. I live in a semi-d in SCD so the classic let it dry and burn it off aint gonna fly. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

tommyp wrote: »
    The previous owners of my house panted horrible Pampas Grass in the front garden. How do I get rid of it? Its massive - probably 2 metres in diameter and against the low front garden wall. I live in a semi-d in SCD so the classic let it dry and burn it off aint gonna fly. Any suggestions?

Where they swingers??:eek: BBC4 had a programme on gardening history recently and when covering the 70s they said houses that planted Pampas Grass near the front door was a sign that the owners were swingers and an invite to come knocking if you were into the same. Have you had any couples at the door yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

First bit of advice is to dress like a bee-keeper - covered from head to toe - it's leaves really are vicious when you get in among them.
    Then, if you can, tie all of the leaves tightly together with a rope. All you have to do then is to attack the roots with a mattock/sharp spade. They are not too deeply rooted and with a bit of time you'll have it out. Sometimes a small handsaw is useful for hacking at the roots too.
    Dump them carefully as the roots will sprout again easily and you don't want a new clump in another part of the garden.
    After that just add a bit of soil and replant with a new shrub or sow grass seed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Firstly, don't do the burning trick, all that does is invigorate them to perform better the next year, I have known people burn their pampas every few years to keep it looking perfect.

Also, why get rid of it? It is a fantastic plant, there aren't that many that are so spectacular.

The swingers reference is absolute rubbish, pampas was just a generally used plant in the seventies, just like pyracantha and lonicera hedging. Plenty of retirees bungalows had them, had nothing to do with swinging.

Oh, and by the way, I could tell you how to kill it, but I don't think you should, if you really want to know then get back to me, but think carefully before you get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lottpaul's advice is good. We planted pampas in the front garden when a lot of people did, in the 70's (not swingers :D) - then eventually got bored with it when it got too big, and dug it up using exactly the method mentioned.

Advertisement