Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Computer Science by Negotiated Learning

Options
  • 12-06-2011 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I would like to hear some feedback on students who are currently have done this course FT. Any information would help eg programming languages ,time table,homeworks...etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Currently doing it Part Time and I am very happy. Such a choice of Subjects and very well organised (as well as it can be). I am doing the Security & Forensics subjects but from what I have heard from people doing Programming subjects there is plenty of choice and they have been happy. Also it looks like there will be extra subjects added for next year.

The list of subjects is available here: http://www.csi.ucd.ie/content/module-offerings

I love the fact that I have the freedom to pick the modules I think are going to benefit my career and not be forced to take modules that I really don’t like/need.
    Also the fees are very low which is a nice bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

greens wrote: »
    I would like to hear some feedback on students who are currently have done this course FT. Any information would help eg programming languages ,time table,homeworks...etc.

I'm going to be attending in September what subjects interest you?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 greens

Thank you Col_Loki.

CerebralCortex, I am going to study security subjects and now I am thinking seriously to do it at DCU in security & forensic .
    What bout you ?

It is worth bearing in mind that you can take the DCU Security and Forensics modules through the UCD MSc Computer Science (NL), the advantage being that you can combine the best of UCD Modules + DCU. The only real downside is that you have to pay extra for the DCU modules.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

greens wrote: »
    Thank you Col_Loki.

CerebralCortex, I am going to study security subjects and now I am thinking seriously to do it at DCU in security & forensic .
    What bout you ?

I'm looking to do the AI, Cognitive Science subjects mainly. But who knows we may bump into each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭puffmullett

Col_Loki wrote: »
    Currently doing it Part Time and I am very happy. Such a choice of Subjects and very well organised (as well as it can be). I am doing the Security & Forensics subjects but from what I have heard from people doing Programming subjects there is plenty of choice and they have been happy. Also it looks like there will be extra subjects added for next year.

The list of subjects is available here: http://www.csi.ucd.ie/content/module-offerings

I love the fact that I have the freedom to pick the modules I think are going to benefit my career and not be forced to take modules that I really don’t like/need.
    Also the fees are very low which is a nice bonus.

Col,

What are the hours like? I'm hoping to start part time in Sept. and would be looking at info. security modules, although this could change depending on amount of time I'd be out of the office

Thanks

It really depends on what Modules you take and when. The masters is very flexible so you can do 1 x 10 Credit Module in Semester1 and 2 x 10 Credit Modules Sem2, then the rest of the modules & project in 2nd year.

I did Information Security/Application Forensics & Forensic Foundations and they were all 7-9pm and you could attend online. I also did Network Security from DCU and it was on a Tuesday Morning (but i think this year it will be timetabled for Part Time Students).

As for information Security Management & Case Studies i am not sure to be honest but i think they might have been during the day.

Because it is so flexible you could take 1 Subject that is 7-9 and 1 daytime subject each semester.....that wouldnt impact your work that much (probably just a half day a week).

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭puffmullett

Thanks Col,

That seems reasonable enought to me, at most I reckon I'd get away with a day a week. I got the acceptance letter today, looking forward to getting started

Advertisement