Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Savings

Options
  • 12-06-2011 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I heard some rumours regarding mortgages and was wondering if there is
    any truth behind them and if someone could explain how it works.

Firstly, due to the way the banks adjust their interest rates, by paying the mortgage either weekly
    or bi-weekly apparently you will save in the region of 12k over the lifetime of a 25 year/200k mortgage?.
    Is this true and how does it work exactly?.

Secondly, I heard that you can knock about 20-30k off your mortgage by negotiating
    with your lender to come off a tracker mortgage?. Is this true and what is the downside to
    doing this?.

Many thanks for an info :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Paying weekly will save you money in the long run because you will be subject to less interest.

Take one month. the interest compounds for 4 weeks and then you pay your mortgage made up of the capital and the interest. If you pay weekly, the interest only compounds for the week, thus saving you money.:)

The banks calculate interest daily far as I know, so if one could pay daily that wouldbe the ideal situation.:D

As for the renegotiating with the bank for a change in terms..... You'll have to wait for more replies. I don't know how sucessful you would be.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

1) Think this was a mistake by the journalist who wrote that article.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/pricewatch/2011/04/05/i-made-a-mistake/

2) As tracker mortgages are loss making for banks, they are eager to get people off them. The tracker rate is about 1 % above the ECB rate which currently is extremely low.

The downside of coming off a tracker rate is that you would have the option of much higher fixed or variable rates. And banks can raise their variable rate whenever they want.

Advertisement