Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing a Subject on the day?

• 12-06-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭

I was thinking about doing OL Business on Tuesday just to see how I'd get on.

I've never done Business before and don't have any books or anything but I was looking at past OL papers online and they seem easy enough?

Do you know if you are allowed to do this? Who do I have to contact? Is it a good idea?

I obviously wouldn't be using it for points but just wanted to do it to see how I got on.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Instead of using that time to study for your other subjects?
    And no I don't think that's possible, but i'm not 100% sure.. Why not just get the 2010 paper from examinations.ie and do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I'm pretty sure the department has to be notified of any subjects you're taking (like that form we filled out months ago?) and it might be too late but I guess you could always try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I don't think your results show up on the day if you don't have it written down on the form you filled a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I was thinking about doing OL Business on Tuesday just to see how I'd get on.

I've never done Business before and don't have any books or anything but I was looking at past OL papers online and they seem easy enough?

Do you know if you are allowed to do this? Who do I have to contact? Is it a good idea?

I obviously wouldn't be using it for points but just wanted to do it to see how I got on.

Thanks
    I'm kinda in the same boat. Might try honours though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

mtb_kng wrote: »
    I'm kinda in the same boat. Might try honours though :P

Yeah I was thinking about that but don't want to fail like :rolleyes:
    I've never seen the book in my life but a lot of it seems common sense.

• Advertisement

Here's a link to the higher paper and the ordinary paper from 2010:

Higher:
    http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2010/LC033ALP000EV.pdf

Lower:
    http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2010/LC033GLP000EV.pdf

I'm not joking, but I think I could get an A in that ordinary level paper :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheRepeat

No disrespect, but Business isn't 'common sense'. Granted some of it is, but to get the full marks there's a lot of exam strategy involved. It's one of the more difficult subjects to get on well in, especially without seeing the book!

TheRepeat wrote: »
    No disrespect, but Business isn't 'common sense'. Granted some of it is, but to get the full marks there's a lot of exam strategy involved. It's one of the more difficult subjects to get on well in, especially without seeing the book!
    Yes but what about pass?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Some of it is common sense. But you really need to have studied it Are you up to date on the functions of the labour relations commission ? Do you know the stages involved in developing a new product, or the stages of the product life cycle?
    As someone who is aiming for an A1 on Wednesday I can tell you that you would more then likely fail higher level. Sections like the ABQ can be difficult, for someone who hasnt seen them before.
    But finally and most importantly, I dont think the SEC will allow you to do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yes but what about pass?

The pass questions are just the same, without the book you really dont have much of a chance. The marking schemes are looking for key words. You can waffle on for pages but if the keywords arent there, your gonna struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Yes but what about pass?

Pass is the same. The marking scheme is probably the most strict in the entire leaving cert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Why don't you spend the 3 hours or what have you doing this exam, studying on an exam that is actually worth something to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheRepeat

As a matter of interest, why are ppl interested in doing an extra subject? I'm struggling to do my six, never mind doing one for the craic?

The pass questions are just the same, without the book you really dont have much of a chance. The marking schemes are looking for key words. You can waffle on for pages but if the keywords arent there, your gonna struggle.

I really think I could get a C or better in ordinary..

But if it's not allowed then never mind :)

P.S I wasn't trying to make business seem easy, I'm sure it's not at all! :) I just wanted to give it a go for the sake of it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

TheRepeat wrote: »

This.
    I think it's pretty presumptuous/arrogant to assume you'd even be able to get over 40% in a subject you've never studied.
    If the point of this is to prove how much of a genius you are, there are better ways of doing it.

._. wrote: »
    This.
    I think it's pretty presumptuous/arrogant to assume you'd even be able to get over 40% in a subject you've never studied.
    If the point of this is to prove how much of a genius you are, there are better ways of doing it.

Please read my last comment, I didn't mean to sound arrogant I just think that some of the ordinary level questions seem really ok, and actually relate to LCVP too .

Ehh I'm not trying to prove how much of a flipping genius I am! :mad:
    I just wanted to do it for the craic.. Could get an A, could get an F but that was the point of the question, it's because I'm curious :)

sheesh don't take it so personally :P

I really think I could get a C or better in ordinary..

But if it's not allowed then never mind :)

P.S I wasn't trying to make business seem easy, I'm sure it's not at all! :) I just wanted to give it a go for the sake of it..

You'd probably land a D or so in ordinary, and probably fail higher! :P

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    You'd probably land a D or so in ordinary, and probably fail higher! :P

And you know me how well exactly? ;)

And you know me how well exactly? ;)

I don't :P But to answer business you need to include keywords in every answer, if you don't, you get no marks! It's why there's so few A's in Business! If you haven't studied it at all for Leaving Cert, there's not a chance of getting a high grade!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Give it a rest.

You don't need to ask people on boards what to do, unless you're just looking for notice.

Do it if you want. It will be a pain in the neck for the supervisor who will have to fill in all sorts of paperwork, but sure if you're having craic that's all that matters.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement