Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uninvited photographer - would it annoy you?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wylie Luke

Surely if you take a photograph illegally (or somewhere it is prohibited) just because you physically have it doesn't make it yours to keep. If I walk into a jewellers and start putting rings into my pocket and get chased out by security, just because I have the rings in my pocket doesn't give mean I can keep them, does the same not hold true for photographs?

(and I told you not to call me Shirley...)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a completely different situation where you have actually stolen something. there's a definite loss of property for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Guys the ownership of photographs remains with the person who took it, the use of photographs in places where photography is forbidden would be a chance the owner of said shot would have to take..... i.e. you cannot photograph the eiffel tower lit up as it is copyrighted, if you were to do so as many people do and use it in publication or advertisement or in anyway commercial the company who own the copyright could then take legal action.

Anyway this is completely off topic, the issue was with someone coming in and photographing a wedding, a private moment, a couple should not need to stick up a sign saying private function, the church is open to all, there were locals watching the wedding but open to all does not mean that anyone who walks in can do as they please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Sure he might have gotten some nice shots from the day after all, coming from a different perspective, being uninvited. It might be something unique for wedding photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bipo

Goodness never heard of anyone taking photos without permission....havent come across anyone doing that in my wedding work (touch wood) ...you did well Smelltheglove

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

For non-church weddings anyway then this applies : 'The Solemniser can only perform the wedding if the venue is open to members of the public, so ‘Only venues that allow unrestricted public access without charge will be considered for approval.’

I assume the same applies to church weddings.

I think (but don't have a legal definition for this) that weddings are in fact public rather than private events - in the same way that, say, a court case is - unless a judge rules otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

My concerns with the situation the OP described are perhaps a reflection of my own cynicism/distrust: was this guy what he claimed to be?

Anyone can go out and spend megabucks on great gear, put on a suit, and look like a professional photographer.

I hate to imply something more sinister/seedy than simply rude wedding-crashing in order to ultimately create the impression that he's an accomplished professional, but there are other uses for candid public pictures, if you get my meaning.

I'd be very keen to find the guy and expose his real motive/intentions - if it is simply piggy-backing to bolster his portfolio, so be it. But if it is more than that, he should be exposed.

My father was a wedding/portrait photographer for 30+ years, starting with medium format film cameras, then film SLRs, and eventually (surprisingly enthusiastically) DSLRs. His #1 boggle with weddings, communions, etc, was "wannabes" - family members, friends, strangers - basically, anyone other than him - holding him up.

He quickly realised that he had no control over those people and before any ceremony even began, he always discussed it with both the priest and best man. Basically, he told them that if they wanted him to photograph their wedding, they would have to ensure that he wasn't hindered, otherwise they could make up their own album from all the shots the friends and family took.

He made sure to get the shots he needed, and would typically then ask the party to stay where they were, and then invite anyone else who wanted shots to take their own - after he got the ones he was paid to get.

My dad is still fit to do weddings, but now finds it too frustrating. A huge amount of the work he was doing before he packed it in was trying to fix/correct whole albums brought to him by tearful brides who had trusted friends/family with big cameras to record their big day, only to find the pics they were given were barely snapshots.

Weddings are really important to get right. Digital allows us to take 1000s of shots, and we're likely to get something useable. Specially with the software corrections that are our safety net. But imagine what it was like for the film photographer who had to get it right, first time, every time, without fail.

OP, it sounds to me like you have nailed the core ethic of what it is to be a wedding photographer - it's their big day, don't be a part of anything that hinders that or becomes part of a bad memory. The couple need to trust 100% that the folk they hire - photographer, band, videographer, etc, all know what they're doing so well, that they're not even noticed, yet still produce remarkable products/services.

Good luck.

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Mark#1 wrote: »
    OP, it sounds to me like you have nailed the core ethic of what it is to be a wedding photographer - it's their big day, don't be a part of anything that hinders that or becomes part of a bad memory. The couple need to trust 100% that the folk they hire - photographer, band, videographer, etc, all know what they're doing so well, that they're not even noticed, yet still produce remarkable products/services.

Good luck.

Mark

Thanks for the lovely post Mark, your dad sounds like a wonderful man!

I have fixed pics for tearful brides, believe it or not I have even fixed pics for tearful photographers too! If a guest gets in my way they are told ina funny cheeky sort of way to shove over, a way that they will laugh rather than get crabby and then they are invited back to take their pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Sounds like you handled it perfectly, I'm sure you agree that as a wedding photographer you're more than just a photographer, you're the one person that spends nearly the whole day in their company. Having done 6 in the last 3 weeks on every occasion I've practically directed the whole day!

I've also no problem with people taking shots once I've done my bit, I've even taken shot for people with their own camera.

• Advertisement

I know we all seen it a thousand times before, but this video keeps coming into my head when I think of this thread;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-nyQBygkPc

You should've laid the SmackDown! STG. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

I know we all seen it a thousand times before, but this video keeps coming into my head when I think of this thread;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-nyQBygkPc

You should've laid the SmackDown! STG. :D

That is classic - bet the russian tourist board would love that. I can see a commercial opportunity there ".... to come and photography a wedding fight in russia"

Advertisement