Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coarse decisions?

• 12-06-2011 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hello, i am applying to the cao and am totally lost on what coarse to do, would anyone be able to give me some advice on what to do, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hmm. What would like to do in life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

If I were you i'd learn how to spell first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 seanhowley

i don't know really, i want to do something that has a big range of career opportunities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Wingawongawoo

Your applying to CAO now? Is there a late change of mind date or something? If you're thinking of applying for next year, you could go to the open day next November.

Have you had no help from a career guidance teacher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

seanhowley wrote: »
    i don't know really, i want to do something that has a big range of career opportunities?

If you want a big range of possibilities do the IT course.

• Advertisement

This may sound weird, but some of the construction courses could be a good bet for future employment, and there is a huge range in the types of thing you can do. By the time you graduate, say with a masters degree (which is going to become the "norm" the way a diploma was 12-20 years ago), 5 or 6 years will have gone past. The worse thing that could happen for the country is that when the contrusction indistry picks back up again, we'd have no graduates to fill the jobs. Thinking mid to long term, construction is a good bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

Hello, i am applying to the cao and am totally lost on what coarse to do, would anyone be able to give me some advice on what to do, thanks.

Ok first off it's "course" and secondly you're beyond late...you're even late for the late application so you've no option but to wait until next year

whats IT course?

whats IT course?

I think you'd be more suited to manual labour :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

This may sound weird, but some of the construction courses could be a good bet for future employment, and there is a huge range in the types of thing you can do. By the time you graduate, say with a masters degree (which is going to become the "norm" the way a diploma was 12-20 years ago), 5 or 6 years will have gone past. The worse thing that could happen for the country is that when the contrusction indistry picks back up again, we'd have no graduates to fill the jobs. Thinking mid to long term, construction is a good bet.
    This is utter rubbish don't for a moment believe this, there will not be a viable property sector in this country for about 20 years.
    If you want my advice accountancy (you'd have to move to Dublin long term), or something in the food sector or cloud computing.

• Advertisement

ted2767 wrote: »
    This is utter rubbish don't for a moment believe this, there will not be a viable property sector in this country for about 20 years.
    If you want my advice accountancy (you'd have to move to Dublin long term), or something in the food sector or cloud computing.

Your areas of accountancy and cloud computing are fine, I'm not going to argue with that.

My point is that I wouldn't count out construction, if that's what the lad is interested in. In fairness, he hasn't given any clues as to what he likes at all. But if he likes construction type subjects, then my point is that he shouldn't be put off doing that in 3rd level just because it's going through a slump at the moment.

Case in point: in the mid 80s in the UK construction was in a slump. What happened was no one wanted to do contruction courses, and in many cases colleges lost the courses. It's very hard to get a course back when it has been cancelled. So when things started to pick up in mid 90s, the UK had virtually no home-grown graduates to act as experts in the boom...result: massive amount of jobs created that were filled by immigrants. My point is that if you like contruction, go for it. The country WILL be in trouble when things pick up if we have no one to do the work.

And contrsuction is far far more wide ranging than property.

With anyone thinking of making a CAO choice, my advice is do what you like doing, whatever that may be. If you like something, you'll enjoy it and more than likely learn more and get better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Your areas of accountancy and cloud computing are fine, I'm not going to argue with that.

My point is that I wouldn't count out construction, if that's what the lad is interested in. In fairness, he hasn't given any clues as to what he likes at all. But if he likes construction type subjects, then my point is that he shouldn't be put off doing that in 3rd level just because it's going through a slump at the moment.

Case in point: in the mid 80s in the UK construction was in a slump. What happened was no one wanted to do contruction courses, and in many cases colleges lost the courses. It's very hard to get a course back when it has been cancelled. So when things started to pick up in mid 90s, the UK had virtually no home-grown graduates to act as experts in the boom...result: massive amount of jobs created that were filled by immigrants. My point is that if you like contruction, go for it. The country WILL be in trouble when things pick up if we have no one to do the work.

And contrsuction is far far more wide ranging than property.

With anyone thinking of making a CAO choice, my advice is do what you like doing, whatever that may be. If you like something, you'll enjoy it and more than likely learn more and get better results.

Ah look man have you read a single paper or heard the news lately?
    There are unfinished houses littering the country, there are too many houses in this country and thousands of people are emigrating every week there is no demand for houses and no banks are lending for those who want to buy.
    There is no money to pay for large public construction projects, and even if there was we have no need for new motorways so with the exception of a large scale roll out of high speed internet cabling this is not a runner either.
    By all means if this person wants to study construction go ahead but they'll probably no definetly end up emigrating unless they have connections.

ted2767 wrote: »
    Ah look man have you read a single paper or heard the news lately?
    There are unfinished houses littering the country, there are too many houses in this country and thousands of people are emigrating every week there is no demand for houses and no banks are lending for those who want to buy.
    There is no money to pay for large public construction projects, and even if there was we have no need for new motorways so with the exception of a large scale roll out of high speed internet cabling this is not a runner either.
    By all means if this person wants to study construction go ahead but they'll probably no definetly end up emigrating unless they have connections.

Agreed. But he's not going to graduate for 5/6 years if he (rightly) goes on to do a Masters.

Scenario A: in 5/6 years the construction industry in Ireland will have picked up. Result = HAPPY DAYS for the lad

Scenario B: in 5/6 years there's no change/it's gotten worse. Result = the lad will probably have to emigrate (like those at the moment) to get work, but he still gets work = travel and work = HAPPY DAYS

In both scenarios the outcome is reasonable for the lad, and more importantly, he'll have done something that he likes.

If his interestes lie elsewhere, then he'd be mad to do contrsuction (or anything else he's not interested in), but my point stands, that if he likes it, he should make a go of it. Nothing worse than doing something you hate just because you think you SHOULD be doing it.

thanks to those who gave helpful comments, how are you meant to know at 18 what to do, anything i could do to help me figure it out?

thanks to those who gave helpful comments, how are you meant to know at 18 what to do, anything i could do to help me figure it out?

Oh dear I feel guilty now :(
    Bit of background info would be helpful, did you do the LC and take a year out? what's you're interest and hobbies? are you good with math? are you creative? more hands on? do you like working indoors or outdoors? what type of payscale would you be happy to live on? how much time are you prepared to do in college? what points did you get in the CAO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Have you tried flipping a coin?

It's great craic and women will think you're loaded.

PS I'm almost 30 and I don't know what I want to do so don't panic. Find something you think you can stick for 3 or 4 year of college and do that, then when you're finished you might have more of an idea

7Sins wrote: »
    Oh dear I feel guilty now :(
    Bit of background info would be helpful, did you do the LC and take a year out? what's you're interest and hobbies? are you good with math? are you creative? more hands on? do you like working indoors or outdoors? what type of payscale would you be happy to live on? how much time are you prepared to do in college? what points did you get in the CAO?

ya i done my leaving cert last year and took a year out..i like sport, watching tv and playing playstation:)..alright with math not great tho..i like a mix i dont like doing the same things every day..not too worried about money once i like what im doing..im prepared to do 20 to 25 hours not much more than that tho:)..i got 310 in the cao, i just want to make the right decision, what u think?

ya i done my leaving cert last year and took a year out..i like sport, watching tv and playing playstation:)..alright with math not great tho..i like a mix i dont like doing the same things every day..not too worried about money once i like what im doing..im prepared to do 20 to 25 hours not much more than that tho:)..i got 310 in the cao, i just want to make the right decision, what u think?

Advertisement