Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wire poking through a bra

• 12-06-2011 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

Nothing more annoying! It happened with my favourite Victorias Secret bra so I stitched it up and continued wearing, however it just happened again :( anyone any helpful hints as to how to fix it this time?

... or is this just a perfect excuse for a trip to New York for a new one? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Moved from tLL to F&A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Stitch it again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Eventually it happens, the material just wears away. The only way I found to avoid it is to never wear the same bra two days running and never wash in the machine - they seem to last much much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Hersheys wrote: »
    Nothing more annoying! It happened with my favourite Victorias Secret bra so I stitched it up and continued wearing, however it just happened again :( anyone any helpful hints as to how to fix it this time?

... or is this just a perfect excuse for a trip to New York for a new one? ;)

Take it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Hand was using woolite and was already said don't wear the sae bra 2 days running. I really don't think the cost of the bra makes any difference to how long they last. It seems to happen less with cotton bras. bloody pain in the ass when it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

This happened to me recently with one of my favourite bras, it's really annoying because even if I stitch it up I know it will poke through again before long. I only ever handwash my bras, but it happens eventually. I think you'll just have to get a new bra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

No1J If you have nothing helpful to add, then please refrain from posting. I'd suggest taking the time to read the forum charter.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

It's metal vs cloth, the cloth is going to lose in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

How about you make up a sleeve* end for the wire, tuck that into place and stitch it in. This will spread the pressure and hopefully it will take longer to wear through again.

*Take a small circle of strong fabric. Fold once and fold again crosswise. Stitch that closed and push the wire end into one of the two pockets thus made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,606 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Stupid question but does any glue work :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 doodlebops2015

Not that I know of but cdalys suggestion definitely does.
    Although a trip to New York for some new underwear sounds like a much better suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I always found Victoria's Secret underwear particularly bad for that happening. It's just not very good quality, unfortunately.

As others have said, you can keep stitching it but it will just keep happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

There`s a VS shop in Dublin airport terminal 2 where you might be able to get something similar. No need to go to the states but maybe a need to fly somewhere though. Give them a call and see if they have something then ask the next person you know who is heading through the airport to pick one up for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

The Victoria's Secret in Dublin Airport doesn't sell bras, just panties, accessories and beauty products!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

There is one in London now... I tend to just bin them once it happens once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

cover it with a bit of really soft leather/doeskin cut from gloves or something ?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=doeskin+gloves

TIG welding gloves are soft :

http://www.gasweld.ie/product/esab-argon-tig-welding-gloves/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Don't wash them in the washing machine,

It happens to all brands, not just V.S, min you never been a V.S. fan, just buy when stateside for the novelty... But cheaply made though,

It's always the favourite ones,

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

This sounds a bit odd but my sister swears by it! You know the scholls tape stuff that you can buy in boots for putting on corns? Apparantly if you push the wire back in and stick a little bit of that over it and wear the bra for a day it will Adhere to it and then its grand for washing and everything. I haven't tried it, yet, but she has rescued a few bras so worth a go!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You could also use clear nail varnish - you could paint lots and lots and lots of layers on the sharp end of the wire, or you could just dip it into the nail varnish bottle and hang it to dry with the sharp end facing down, repeat a few times, and in the end you should get something like a little bubble or a droplet- that should act as a protection and should stop the wire from cutting into the fabric.

Or you could simply buy some new, better quality wires in a shop that sells fabrics and trimmings.

Advertisement