Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build moi a PC!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah it is back up, here is my cart so far:

LIM1t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Be wary of the 560. There's 560 which is basically a nice 460 - not a bad card, but not the same as a 560ti. The 570s aren't great value as the 560ti can be overclocked to nearly the same.

3D eats a lot of GPU power... maybe you should be considering SLI 560tis - or buy one now and upgrade later?

RAM - ripjaws #1 or #2 would be fine. They're pretty much the same except for looks. They're 1.5V and I have used both in various systems. Don't buy the corsair one - those high heatspreaders are a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

For the RAM I would go for,
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44321&agid=1193&lb
    or
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44320&agid=1192&lb

But I don't know which would show better performance, since one has 1600Mhz compared to 1333Mhz but the slower has a lower Latency Timings.

I really don't know much about any other components, but I would look for a Mobo with SATAIII as it will give an SSD or HDD a bit of a performance boost. And if you can find it USB3.0 would be nice :)

And talking about Hard drives, I would get an SSD as your main drive for OS and programs and then get a 1Tb HDD for files.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Monotype wrote: »
    Be wary of the 560. There's 560 which is basically a nice 460 - not a bad card, but not the same as a 560ti. The 570s aren't great value as the 560ti can be overclocked to nearly the same.

3D eats a lot of GPU power... maybe you should be considering SLI 560tis - or buy one now and upgrade later?

RAM - ripjaws #1 or #2 would be fine. They're pretty much the same except for looks. They're 1.5V and I have used both in various systems. Don't buy the corsair one - those high heatspreaders are a nuisance.
    Thanks. Ah whoops meant ti! Can the 570 be overclocked much?
    Also if I was going for the 560ti, there are so many flavours, any good ones in particular? I doubt I'll use the 3d that much, depending on how fun it is.
    I'd say it's 200e for the 560ti and 258E for 570 so I'll ahve to see how much that can be OC'ed. I'm picking up that gskill ram thanks.
    Fluffy88 wrote: »
    For the RAM I would go for,
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44321&agid=1193&lb
    or
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44320&agid=1192&lb

But I don't know which would show better performance, since one has 1600Mhz compared to 1333Mhz but the slower has a lower Latency Timings.

I really don't know much about any other components, but I would look for a Mobo with SATAIII as it will give an SSD or HDD a bit of a performance boost. And if you can find it USB3.0 would be nice :)

And talking about Hard drives, I would get an SSD as your main drive for OS and programs and then get a 1Tb HDD for files.
    Thanks for the reply! Think im going for the 1600!

A mobo with those things sounds good, now somebody pick me one :p

Well I was thinking of an SSD but I don't think they are really worth it, it makes me boot up faster etc, but I boot up fast enough already, don't notice myself waiting. I think I'd rather wait until they are cheaper and get a decent sized one? They can be slotted in at any time and I don't really want a 30/40gig one maybe, as I could use the money on the other components.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

How much do you have to spend?
    I'd go with something like this;
    i5 2500k
    G.Skill Ripjaw X 8gb
    Msi p67a gd65
    Super Flower Amazon 650w
    Club3D Geforce GTX560 Ti, 1024MB
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb
    FRACTAL DESIGN Case DEFINE R3 Black Pearl
    Comes to €775.62 + €30 pp

The p67 boards don't seem to like ram that runs at 1.65 volts, Im not sure if the same goes for the z68 boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I don't have an SSD myself but I am planning on building one soonish for about €1500 and an SSD is an essential part of my list. I would recommend it and I think most other people would.

A regular HDD is generally the biggest bottleneck in any system since HDD's work in Milliseconds whereas all the other components work in Nanoseconds. So the drastic improvement in Read/Write speeds will really show a performance increase.
    A quick look through a site or two and I found this,
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/ocz-technology-60gb-agility-3-ssd-series-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-7HR1.html?refs=4294946440-450300000-52750000
    seems like a good buy at that price and if you compared the documented Seek Time on this of 0.1ms to the extremely high end HDD,
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/hp-450gb-15k-3-5-dual-port-non-hot-pluggable-sas-hd-6NW6.html?refs=4294946982-23
    it has a Seek time of 3.6ms so there is a massive difference in performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 merc.ie

If you can spare the extra 50 or 60 euros, go with the 570 - it'll give you more FPS on that 1080p 120Hz screen and this motherboard will let you add a second in the future. You'll need a 750W+ PSU for SLI though. They can overclock too, to around midway between a 570 and 580 performance.

Apparently the reference MSI 570s have had problems (thus they're cheap on almost every site) so I'd go with this one:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43166&agid=707&lb

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Hate to be a cynic but with the HD6850/GTX460/GTX560 rapidly becoming the minimum card for 1080p gaming, you'll need two GTX560s SLI'd or something bigger and meaner than a GTX560Ti/570 to get acceptable framerates for more demanding games if you're going for 1080p 3D :o

Burgo wrote: »
    How much do you have to spend?
    I'd go with something like this;
    i5 2500k
    G.Skill Ripjaw X 8gb
    Msi p67a gd65
    Super Flower Amazon 650w
    Club3D Geforce GTX560 Ti, 1024MB
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb
    FRACTAL DESIGN Case DEFINE R3 Black Pearl
    Comes to €775.62 + €30 pp

The p67 boards don't seem to like ram that runs at 1.65 volts, Im not sure if the same goes for the z68 boards.
    Well it's not how much I have got to spend, it's how much I want to spend. If I see a part that is more expensive than the one I want and there is a reason I would want the extra features, I will buy it.

Thanks for the suggestions, as regards the motherboard, should I bother getting it over say a MSI P67A-GD53 or MSI P67A-GD55? Is the only difference a few extra slots? the 3 looks similar but 30e cheaper.
    People are saying I should get a mobo with sata6/usb 3 so mobos are something I need to google more.

for the gfx, there are 24 560ti's on HVS, so I'm unsure which to get, I was looking at this one as I had heard good things, I'm not sure which though. http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43007&agid=707

Must look up that case as well cheers, the rest I am probably getting from your list!
    Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I don't have an SSD myself but I am planning on building one soonish for about €1500 and an SSD is an essential part of my list. I would recommend it and I think most other people would.

A regular HDD is generally the biggest bottleneck in any system since HDD's work in Milliseconds whereas all the other components work in Nanoseconds. So the drastic improvement in Read/Write speeds will really show a performance increase.
    A quick look through a site or two and I found this,
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/ocz-technology-60gb-agility-3-ssd-series-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-7HR1.html?refs=4294946440-450300000-52750000
    seems like a good buy at that price and if you compared the documented Seek Time on this of 0.1ms to the extremely high end HDD,
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/hp-450gb-15k-3-5-dual-port-non-hot-pluggable-sas-hd-6NW6.html?refs=4294946982-23
    it has a Seek time of 3.6ms so there is a massive difference in performance.
    The definitely look pretty swish alright, would love one but I think I might get it in 6 months/year and not yet. Would love a nice big one :D
    merc.ie wrote: »
    If you can spare the extra 50 or 60 euros, go with the 570 - it'll give you more FPS on that 1080p 120Hz screen and this motherboard will let you add a second in the future. You'll need a 750W+ PSU for SLI though. They can overclock too, to around midway between a 570 and 580 performance.

Apparently the reference MSI 570s have had problems (thus they're cheap on almost every site) so I'd go with this one:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43166&agid=707&lb
    I'm starting to think the 570 isnt worth it and maybe I should oc a 560ti but I'm not sure, not really a fan of sli'ing and getting a bigger psu, hmm.

cheers for the heads up on the msi's!
    Solitaire wrote: »
    Hate to be a cynic but with the HD6850/GTX460/GTX560 rapidly becoming the minimum card for 1080p gaming, you'll need two GTX560s SLI'd or something bigger and meaner than a GTX560Ti/570 to get acceptable framerates for more demanding games if you're going for 1080p 3D :o

Hey buddy! Most likely what will be happening is I will be 3d gaming for a little bit for the novelty on the kit I bought second hand, then I will sell it on third hand, just wanna try it out and watch some films. :D I got the monitor for the 120hz and 0 input lag, not the 3d really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

i recommend the 560ti for your 3d setup. i have 1 in my rig i just build 2 weeks back and the performance (3d included) is fantastic! this is the 2gb one i have
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43167&agid=1156

i have the asrock p67 extreme4 mobo also but i havn't tried to oc anything on it yet

• Advertisement

Thanks, think I might get the 560 ti after all, although I don't think I would need a 2gig one unless for giant resolutions?

If you're not looking for 120fps in Metro2033/Crysis2/Skyrim then a GTX560Ti 1GB (which start from ~€190) is just fine. It can still work wonders in less demanding titles with 3D enabled. And no, you don't need extra framebuffer for 3D, as you're doubling up on visual data (and thus halving perceived fps) and not increasing texture sizes and/or overall display resolution.

i wasted 40 quid on an extra 1gb then :D looks like the card does have very good cooling though with is handy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Well it's not how much I have got to spend, it's how much I want to spend. If I see a part that is more expensive than the one I want and there is a reason I would want the extra features, I will buy it.

Thanks for the suggestions, as regards the motherboard, should I bother getting it over say a MSI P67A-GD53 or MSI P67A-GD55? Is the only difference a few extra slots? the 3 looks similar but 30e cheaper.
    People are saying I should get a mobo with sata6/usb 3 so mobos are something I need to google more.

for the gfx, there are 24 560ti's on HVS, so I'm unsure which to get, I was looking at this one as I had heard good things, I'm not sure which though. http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43007&agid=707

Must look up that case as well cheers, the rest I am probably getting from your list!

Yeah the difference between the mobos is pretty much a few slots, the gd65 has 8 internal sata ports, 4 sata 3 and 4 sata2, and 2 rear panel esata ports. so unless you need 8 sata ports/2 esata ports its probably best to go with one of the cheaper ones :P

If you're not looking for 120fps in Metro2033/Crysis2/Skyrim then a GTX560Ti 1GB (which start from ~€190) is just fine. It can still work wonders in less demanding titles with 3D enabled. And no, you don't need extra framebuffer for 3D, as you're doubling up on visual data (and thus halving perceived fps) and not increasing texture sizes and/or overall display resolution.
    well I wouldn't mind 120 in skyrim :( as I'm definitely getting that. Other games would be less demanding, css, DotA 2, starcraft 2 maybe.
    Burgo wrote: »
    Yeah the difference between the mobos is pretty much a few slots, the gd65 has 8 internal sata ports, 4 sata 3 and 4 sata2, and 2 rear panel esata ports. so unless you need 8 sata ports/2 esata ports its probably best to go with one of the cheaper ones :P

I have no idea what i would use all those ports for! The gd 53 seems like a good deal so, must put up a basket and see what poeple think

any other ideas on cases guys?

What do people think of this + a case?

neww.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The GD53 doesn't have firewire, if that's important.

The Fractal Design R3 as mentioned above is a great, quiet case. Is noise important? If it isn't just pick whichever one you like the look of and check a few reviews to ensure that there's no serious problems. You can spend as little as €30 if you want to invest more on the case contents.

I don't think that a 650W PSU is really necessary for one card, while you might need a bit more if two cards are likely.

Nah, will never use firewire.

Cheers, noise isn't important, I can't hear anything out of my headphones anyway, just good ventilation and maybe being light. If I LAN with 1000 other computers there I'd like it to stay cool :-p Would i need more fans than the standard with these cases? Or do the ones coming with it suffice?

I never really plan on 2 cards, I usually just sell one and buy a better one. Hmm, I would need 750 if I sli'ed the 560ti? However I wouldn't be sli'ong it for a long time if I was at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nice specs there tar at a good price too,Can I ask Will you be building this yourself? :-)

Stop trying to build TarA's system for him/her just so you can look down his/her top! :D:P

Hmm... and hmm again... it really depends on if you intend on OCing stuff and how much. IIRC most quad Sandies only use 55-60W with Turbo and without HT... the Tis use ~140W each, the 570 closer to 190W. That's not including pre-OCd versions or custom PCBs with naff voltage regulators, which I've seen hit 270W in the case of certain 570s! And that's gaming usage, not FurMark! :eek:

OCing the CPU could cause a fair increase, and its hard to tell how much OCing headroom you'll have on any GPU.

Given the Amazon only has 624W on the 12V rails I'd say that the SLI'd Tis will squeeze in if you don't add lots of HDDs or OC anything (not that the Tis would really need it if you have two of them! :p) as the system would use less than 400W, coming in under the 60% mark :) If you wanted to OC everything I'd recommend a 750W unit - XFX have a (fully wired) 750W model for only €75 if you need it. Otherwise a 650W will more than handle things.

• Advertisement

Nice specs there tar at a good price too,Can I ask Will you be building this yourself? :-)
    Why thank you ;) I've never built a whole system from scratch, just replaced parts as needs be, so I'll be looking to do it for myself for the first time. Unless I need a muscly PC Building & Upgrading regular to help at some point :D
    Stop trying to build TarA's system for him/her just so you can look down his/her top! :D:P

Hmm... and hmm again... it really depends on if you intend on OCing stuff and how much. IIRC most quad Sandies only use 55-60W with Turbo and without HT... the Tis use ~140W each, the 570 closer to 190W. That's not including pre-OCd versions or custom PCBs with naff voltage regulators, which I've seen hit 270W in the case of certain 570s! And that's gaming usage, not FurMark! :eek:

OCing the CPU could cause a fair increase, and its hard to tell how much OCing headroom you'll have on any GPU.

Given the Amazon only has 624W on the 12V rails I'd say that the SLI'd Tis will squeeze in if you don't add lots of HDDs or OC anything (not that the Tis would really need it if you have two of them! :p) as the system would use less than 400W, coming in under the 60% mark :) If you wanted to OC everything I'd recommend a 750W unit - XFX have a (fully wired) 750W model for only €75 if you need it. Otherwise a 650W will more than handle things.
    We all likes a good perv heh. I have never OC'ed anything ever, so I want to use this pc to test doing that and hopefully not destroy everything (I hope it isn't easy to **** up :eek:). So I will hopefully be OCing the gfx and cpu, so maybe I should get that xfx? How would it compare to http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30071&agid=1630 and what does fully wired imply?

There is also some OC genie thing on the msi board, is it worth jsut pressing that or doing things yourself? What exactly does that do /googles frantically

Only bother getting a larger PSU if you really intend on going SLI as well as OCing, as two GTX560Tis consume a lot more juice than a single GTX570. And that Amazon isn't well priced, either get the XFX Core 750W for €75 or get a Golden Green 750W if its reduced to the same price as the Amazon - its a very efficient unit, which is of growing importance when you're getting through so much juice!

Just OC yourself. Use MSI Afterburner for the graphics cards and while you'll still have to dig into the BIOS for the CPU, its a much prettier thing on the EFI-based Sandy mobos (the first generation of PC mobos to replace the BIOS). You don't have to fiddle as much anymore as OCing the K-series is as simple as upping the CPU multiplier, and possibly voltage a bit too. OC Genie can try to do that for you at the touch of a button, but is less accurate or reliable than doing it yourself.

solitaire mate can you recommend any good guides to ocing? i wouldn't mind trying a bit with my new system! i5 2500k and gtx560 ti

Only bother getting a larger PSU if you really intend on going SLI as well as OCing, as two GTX560Tis consume a lot more juice than a single GTX570. And that Amazon isn't well priced, either get the XFX Core 750W for €75 or get a Golden Green 750W if its reduced to the same price as the Amazon - its a very efficient unit, which is of growing importance when you're getting through so much juice!

Just OC yourself. Use MSI Afterburner for the graphics cards and while you'll still have to dig into the BIOS for the CPU, its a much prettier thing on the EFI-based Sandy mobos (the first generation of PC mobos to replace the BIOS). You don't have to fiddle as much anymore as OCing the K-series is as simple as upping the CPU multiplier, and possibly voltage a bit too. OC Genie can try to do that for you at the touch of a button, but is less accurate or reliable than doing it yourself.
    Cheers, the golden green 750 is E87 so I might get the xfx got 75E. Cool.

Will try OCing myself and when I **** up start bashing the button :D

darego wrote: »
    solitaire mate can you recommend any good guides to ocing? i wouldn't mind trying a bit with my new system! i5 2500k and gtx560 ti

There is a forum for it here and all, I look forward to hearing of your attempts as you have the same stuff!

Now to try and look at cases!

Anybody have experience with:

FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R3 Black Pearl
    CM 690 II Advanced
    CM HAF 912
    CM HAF 922
    NZXT Hades
    Thermaltake Armor A90
    Cooler Master 690 II Advanced Midi-Tower
    NZXT Guardian 921 Midi-Tower - Redline Edition

I'm thinking maybe one of these:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=35863&agid=631
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41084&agid=631
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=36379&agid=631
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38383&agid=631
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38379&agid=631
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28606&agid=631&lb

and now to look at some more!

do people recommend buying extra fans or do the stock ones do the job?

If they're out at a reasonable price yet look out for Z68 mobos - the SSD cache feature is a very nice upgrade path later on.

Fractal R3 is heavy and pricey but very highly recommended.
    Not sure how much the CM690 Lite loses compared to the Advanced, but while the latter might be a tiny bit more expandable IMHO it loses badly to the R3.
    M59 is a nice mid-range case but getting a bit dated. Guardian is very old and very overpriced. The Hades is good though.
    Not 100% sure about HAF912, but the 922 is great, albeit big!

Bear in mind that you'll need an aftermarket CPU cooler if you're looking to OC it! Although one might be desirable anyway for any case other than the R3, as the stock fan is a nasty noisy PoS! :p

Oh, and I'd go with the MSI. One of the PCIe slots is electrically x8, but that's not a big issue and its very rare to get two full x16 slots nowadays anyway. All the Z68 mobos I've looked at so far have the second PCIe crippled and running at x4, which isn't really suitable for heavy-duty SLI :(

Thanks, I deffo owe you some pints by now! I have pretty much decided to get the R3, even though ryanair will rape me with weight travelling :D

Oh i had heard that I could OC the 2500k without a cooler :( So i should get a cooler deffo? If so, which one :-D Also will I need any extra fans in the r3 at all?

As for mobo, it will be one of the two I mentioned or maybe these if they are any good?
    Are these the ones you mean or the more expensive ones?
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46922&agid=1601
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46912&agid=1603

Oh, and I'd go with the MSI. One of the PCIe slots is electrically x8, but that's not a big issue and its very rare to get two full x16 slots nowadays anyway. All the Z68 mobos I've looked at so far have the second PCIe crippled and running at x4, which isn't really suitable for heavy-duty SLI :(
    Oh ok, I'll take your word on it and get the msi :) the bigger x numbers look good :cool:

• Advertisement

So here is the finished build unless anybody calls something crap :p
    also, will add fans or a cooler if needs be!

finished.jpg

Advertisement