Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build moi a PC!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

looks good, but when do you plan on ordering this? ordering parts that are out of stock or waiting to come back in "soon2 is a big no-no with HWVS :(

its a little over budget, but id highly recommend getting a z68 motherboard, for future upgradable sake.

Ive just put an order for a friend in for a asus p8z68-v pro. ~@€;150 its not the cheapest of the z68 range, but it has every feature under the sun (SLI/CF @ x8 x8) and everywhere i read gave it fantastic reviews. im sure with a bit of reading you can find a cheaper (but still good quality) z68 from HWVS.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

On a case note, i'd love to have this :D

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=42264&agid=632

resource?articleId=42264&size=2

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    looks good, but when do you plan on ordering this? ordering parts that are out of stock or waiting to come back in "soon2 is a big no-no with HWVS :(

its a little over budget, but id highly recommend getting a z68 motherboard, for future upgradable sake.

Ive just put an order for a friend in for a asus p8z68-v pro. ~@€;150 its not the cheapest of the z68 range, but it has every feature under the sun (SLI/CF @ x8 x8) and everywhere i read gave it fantastic reviews. im sure with a bit of reading you can find a cheaper (but still good quality) z68 from HWVS.
    Well i was planning on ordering it in a day or two, I don't mind waiting at all as I will still ahve my normal pc, just as long as the parts actually do come into stock?

I'll have a look at the z68s, I havent really given them much of a chance even though i heard they were good, just as it seemed they weren't too much different to the p67 apart from an ssd caching ability that I won't use. Why would they be more future proof than that msi one? I gonna have a read about them tomorrow thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Oh i had heard that I could OC the 2500k without a cooler :( So i should get a cooler deffo? If so, which one :-D Also will I need any extra fans in the r3 at all?

The stock one will do for some mild overclocking but it's not great. I'd normally say to get the Scythe Mugen 2 but is this going to be carted around a lot? A heavy heatsink could damage the board if it was on long/regular trips. HWV haven't got a great selection and a good few are out of stock, but you should either get a light one or maybe in this circumstance keep with the original.
    A good choice would be one of corsair's semi-watercooling systems.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38537
    They also have a H50, but it's not in stock here.
    As for mobo, it will be one of the two I mentioned or maybe these if they are any good?
    Are these the ones you mean or the more expensive ones?
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46922&agid=1601
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46912&agid=1603

They only have 1 PCI-E slot - no good for SLI. You'd need to invest more in the higher end Z68s.

The colossus is awesome. I wonder how long the novelty of the changing colours would last. It's a solid, well rounded case too.

The AC FP7 is back in stock again and it's fairly light, so I'd recommend that. It's not tremendously powerful but it's quiet and should be better than the stock.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28345

The Fractal Design R3 case has two fans install, IIRC. It's enough for a cool, quiet system. Since you are overclocking, an extra one or two fans maybe be advisable.

Also, that RAM is 1.65V - get 1.5V as some 1155 boards are known to be fussy and it's best to stay on the safe side.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Monotype wrote: »
    The stock one will do for some mild overclocking but it's not great. I'd normally say to get the Scythe Mugen 2 but is this going to be carted around a lot? A heavy heatsink could damage the board if it was on long/regular trips. HWV haven't got a great selection and a good few are out of stock, but you should either get a light one or maybe in this circumstance keep with the original.
    A good choice would be one of corsair's semi-watercooling systems.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38537
    They also have a H50, but it's not in stock here.

They only have 1 PCI-E slot - no good for SLI. You'd need to invest more in the higher end Z68s.

The colossus is awesome. I wonder how long the novelty of the changing colours would last. It's a solid, well rounded case too.
    I wouldn't be moving pc often at all, I don't know if the extra gained from OCing would be with the 33e on the cooler? What kindof performance increase would it be? I'm an OC noob. I might stay with the stock and see can i OC it a little? Or get the cheaper fan? If it's really worth it i would get the mugen.
    Monotype wrote: »
    The AC FP7 is back in stock again and it's fairly light, so I'd recommend that. It's not tremendously powerful but it's quiet and should be better than the stock.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28345

The Fractal Design R3 case has two fans install, IIRC. It's enough for a cool, quiet system. Since you are overclocking, an extra one or two fans maybe be advisable.

Also, that RAM is 1.65V - get 1.5V as some 1155 boards are known to be fussy and it's best to stay on the safe side.
    That one is a more reasonable price, what would the OC difference in values be between that, the stock and the mugen?

As for case fans, any in particular I should get/avoid?

Oh and the ram says 1.5 on the site!

• Advertisement

The AC Freezer would probably be a little better. I noticed it was significantly quieter and cooler than a Phenom X4 955 heatsink anyway. I haven't tested a 2500K stock heatsink but it's tiny and I'm guessing relatively noisy.

Given that the 1155 is fairly cool as it is, I've seen people go above 4GHz with the stock heatsink. You might not hear much inside a Fractal Design R3. The Scythe mugen 2 is very quiet under normal circumstances and with luck, you might be able to overclock that CPU up to 4.5GHz.

cool thanks, I'll have to have a think about whether going for 4 with the stock or 4.5 with mugen. After that I am just choosing case fan or two and ordering. whoop! great help thanks :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

1. If you're going to be LANning or travelling with this thing why are you going full ATX?
    2. Given that Sandy is the coolest-running quad Intel have ever shipped I suspect that you could easily go past 4GHz with just a Freezer 7 Pro with feck-all noise as a result ;)

Well Im not sure if I will be or not, and as I will have 2 computers now this one might not move at all! If I did it might just be a once off etc

I think I will use either the freezer 7 or stock cooler and get another case fan? It doesn't sound like the freezer 7 is much better than stock and I could go to say 4-4.2ish with stock, most people seem to claim this? That seems perfect

Maybe stock cooler and something like a Noctua NF-P12 or Noctua NF-P14 for another case fan? Or will cheaper fans do?

I have no idea if a case fan or a cpu cooler would be better for me. Maybe I should use stock to go to 4ghz and no extra case fan as the twin frozr looks to have good cooling even when OCed to 570 speed? And jsut OC the cpu to 4ish
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/01/27/msi-geforce-gtx-560-ti-1gb-review/7
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/01/27/msi-geforce-gtx-560-ti-1gb-review/9

The Freezer 7 is much better than an AMD stock cooler, which in turn is much better than an Intel stock cooler. I have the stock HSF on my i5-760 and its a noisy PoS that can barely keep the CPU cooled at stock speed :o

The Freezer is much cheaper and lighter than a 120mm cooler as well as being very quiet, but it can cool as well as a mediocre 120mm tower :) Next step up is a good 120mm cooler like the Hyper 212 Plus, and after that you have the high-end 120mm coolers, starting with the Mugen 2 and rapidly getting sillier and sillier in terms of size/weight/price.

• Advertisement

Ah ok cool, so I think i'll lay off the mugen, I don't want to spend a lot on this sort of thing, so maybe freezer 7 and some case fans, pity there are a million types to google :mad:

also lol at the size of some these coolers

Ah i think **** the extra case fans and here is my...potential :D... final build

reallyfinished.jpg

so with delivery 803E

GODDAMN BOARDS!!!! Trying to post this for 15 minutes now!!!!

The Mugen 2 isn't exactly small either! :D:P

They're not the best but unless you get a defective one those 120mm Xilence Redwing fans are far from the worst you can get, and they're usually €2-3 a pop on HWVS :D Although if you're intent on a quiet, well-cooled chassis check out the Arctic F12s on QuietPC - about a fiver a pop yet near-silent, 6-year warranty and good airflow and static pressure. Only the Akasa Venoms are much more powerful, and they're noisy and nearly €20 a pop :eek: Noctua are great, but super-pricey. And 140/200mm fans are hard to get cheap, although well worth it if you have an empty 140mm or 200mm fan mount lurking.

Better cases like the Hades and R3 include a few of their fans anyway :)

Solitaire wrote: »
    GODDAMN BOARDS!!!! Trying to post this for 15 minutes now!!!!

The Mugen 2 isn't exactly small either! :D:P

They're not the best but unless you get a defective one those 120mm Xilence Redwing fans are far from the worst you can get, and they're usually €2-3 a pop on HWVS :D Although if you're intent on a quiet, well-cooled chassis check out the Arctic F12s on QuietPC - about a fiver a pop yet near-silent, 6-year warranty and good airflow and static pressure. Only the Akasa Venoms are much more powerful, and they're noisy and nearly €20 a pop :eek: Noctua are great, but super-pricey. And 140/200mm fans are hard to get cheap, although well worth it if you have an empty 140mm or 200mm fan mount lurking.

Better cases like the Hades and R3 include a few of their fans anyway :)
    Oh thanks, I will have to look up how many fan mountings or whatever are in my case and buy a couple of the 2/5e ones if they are that cheap! :)

edit: might get one or two of these depending on what my case fits, ive never added fans to a case

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=10323&agid=42

ok so it comes with two 120mm fans and room for 7 or something, with a fan controller for 3. Might just get one of these http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=10323&agid=42

and there we have it for 805E, one fan will do i suppose...and will try to OC teh gfx and 2500k :)

superfinished.jpg

would you need thermal paste or anything as well?
    /newb builder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I've just been reading this article on the SandyBridge 1155 socket and I just came across a very interesting line on the third page(the linked one).
    The memory controller of a Sandy Bridge CPU is a dual-channel DDR3 unit, capable of speeds of up to 1,333MHz.

Now this to me seemed like it wasn't right, so I went off and done a bit of research into it, got up the spec of a 1155 mobo. The "ASRock P67 Extreme6" a very good mobo from what I can see and it lists in it's Memory spec "Supports Dual Channel DDR3 2133(OC)" and on AsRocks site there is a whole listing of the RAM supported by this card (here)

Now sorry for all the nonsensical rambling, I do have a point here.
    Tar, you have 1600Mhz RAM listed in your spec.
    So my question is, does 1155 actually support 1600Mhz RAM?
    Or
    Do you have to overclock the RAM to make use of the full 1600Mhz???
    Or
    Am I a complete idiot? :)

Thanks for reading.

Hello fluffy, now I don't knwo the most on the subject but as fas as I am aware the official maximum standard for RAM is 1333 but mobos support up to 2133 so it should still work. Now if you need to manually put in values or will it work out of the box I don't know

and also, do many people OC ram, does it matter much?
    I am unsure atm how to test what the ram is running at but I will let you know when i install it and test it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I find it all very confusing. If the CPU had a max of 1333Mhz then even when the mobo supports 2133Mhz can that extra bandwidth be used or is it just a waste of money.

The article I linked to above has a guide to overclocking the i5 2500k
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/5
    It might help you OC'ing your machine when you get it :)

I'll have a read of that thanks As far as i understand it it's not a max, jsut the max officially supported? But I'll have to read about it!

• Advertisement

Damn it! Post FFS! :mad:

Grab a couple of these for the top exhausts ;) Or the 1700rpm version, but those would need to be hooked to the fan controller as they'd be too noisy for normal operation at 100% speed :o

Most fast RAM modules aren't born that way; they're simply high-end modules guaranteed to OC that far by the manufacturer. Because 1600MHz is a common speed you'd just have to change a setting in the BIOS to enable their full speed.

And that mobo is AWOL and could really delay that build shipping :o The others are close to reappearing but nothing is guaranteed. HWVS are much better than Dabs for that but as you can see with the MSI, stuff does occasionally miss its ETA!

And the Rev2 comes with paste pre-applied :)

So should I get one of the redwings and one/two of those is it? Sounds good. Just hook two up to the mounts at the top of the case? I really need to look at the inside of the case!

Hmm, so maybe I should look at anothe mobo...or just order hmmm.
    Thanks, you're a great help mr solitaire! /flashes bewbs

fluffy I've read you just need to use some xmp thing in bios to set it to 1600.

Since there are three fan controller slots and I take it the two case fans are in two of them, maybe one scythe 1700rpm and one 1200 rpm at the top?
    newb question but how the feck do you attach the fans? screws, cable ties etc?

ok so this! assuming the top 1700 rpm one can go to the fan controller? Is it a matter of just pluggin in the fan somewhere? Can you tell this is my first big build :p

fans.jpg

I wouldn't even be arsed with the 1700rpm ones tbh! You get tons of airflow off the slower ones with less noise and messing about, they're 140mm fans after all! :)

Better to keep the Xilence hooked up to the fan controller just in case the bearing wears down and starts to rattle at high speed ;)

I'll go and check the mobo to see what fan headers it has... remember that the mobo can control the speed of any fan attached to it if the fan and fan header both support PWM! ;)

ah ok 2 140s and the one xilence it is! Job done. So i take it the xilence aint great quality heh.

hard to remember stuff I don't know :pac:
    /sticks fans randomly into mobo

newest.jpg

mr cherryghost (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056298316) seems to think i dont need a cooler at all :) this looks promising
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-sabertooth-p67-tuf-review/10
    wonder how long they ran it for

still the cooling might be better for 15 quid

Intel's stock cooler is rubbish. It might be better able to keep Sandy's heat in check compared to the last gen, but they're noisy SoBs and might seriously struggle if you OCd it to 4GHz or more.

Also bear in mind that the review was using a very high-end mobo to do the job! Cheaper mobos might be more heat-sensitive with regard to OC stability :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I want pics of this once its done.
    slightly off-topic but what are peoples experience with the fractal with a door on the front

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Intel's stock cooler is rubbish. It might be better able to keep Sandy's heat in check compared to the last gen, but they're noisy SoBs and might seriously struggle if you OCd it to 4GHz or more.

Also bear in mind that the review was using a very high-end mobo to do the job! Cheaper mobos might be more heat-sensitive with regard to OC stability :o
    My quiet case doesn't quiet much does it :pac: I think I'll definitely get the cooler! They are actually using the first mobo I was thinking of getting, sabertooth, **** yeah, but I don't think an extra 40-70 on a motherboard like that should be spent at all really?

I wonder, if you mount the fans with screws, do cases not vibrate against them?
    /build noob

Anyway, I deposited money to buy this today and will try to figure out how to order from HVS tomorrow, thanks a lot guys, mono and sol are especially the bestest :D

I want pics of this once its done.
    slightly off-topic but what are peoples experience with the fractal with a door on the front

I'll try to get some up yeah, I'll prob need to put up some pix to ask what goes where heh. Interested to know about the door but it looks handy.

so ta da, the finished product!

newest.jpg

Two people have already told me they saw the thread and are ripping off my build! So you guys did good ;)

Advertisement