Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build moi a PC!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

My quiet case doesn't quiet much does it :pac: I think I'll definitely get the cooler! They are actually using the first mobo I was thinking of getting, sabertooth, **** yeah, but I don't think an extra 40-70 on a motherboard like that should be spent at all really?

I wonder, if you mount the fans with screws, do cases not vibrate against them?
    /build noob

Anyway, I deposited money to buy this today and will try to figure out how to order from HVS tomorrow, thanks a lot guys, mono and sol are especially the bestest :D

I'll try to get some up yeah, I'll prob need to put up some pix to ask what goes where heh. Interested to know about the door but it looks handy.

so ta da, the finished product!

newest.jpg

Two people have already told me they saw the thread and are ripping off my build! So you guys did good ;)

Spare me having to read the entire thread and tell me that you're planning on adding a second gfx card (750w PSU?)

Also, let me know if you need somebody to watch over you when putting it together. I'm tinkering with the idea of changing cases so would like to see fractal up close.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The 750 watt psu is in case I add a second 560ti along the line when it half the price, I have a 650 watt here aswell.

Sure, will let you know if I need help but i imagine I'll be fine, just never did it before and will have to have a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

They are actually using the first mobo I was thinking of getting, sabertooth, **** yeah, but I don't think an extra 40-70 on a motherboard like that should be spent at all really?

You can't put a value on looking cool. :cool:

Of course the Sabertooth could end up being a burden if that armour thing gets in the way of your components.

I agree about the Intel stock cooler. When you see it next to the better coolers you wonder how it could cool anything. While it is adequate for 4GHz, it doesn't mean it's quiet at 4GHz. HWV could do with a slightly better selection of CPU heatsinks.
    I'm tinkering with the idea of changing cases so would like to see fractal up close.

It's a lot quieter than I thought it would be - you wouldn't even notice the computer being on if you've chosen quiet components.
    I want pics of this once its done.
    slightly off-topic but what are peoples experience with the fractal with a door on the front

I accidentally broke the door off the last case that had a door :-/ , but it does keep out the noise a bit more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ok cool, happy enough with the cooler so, hope those fans ain't too loud now. Time to try a bank transfer, no idea why they cant use cc's but whatever!

If you order today, keep in mind that it might not ship til Tuesday or Wednesday. Depends how long your bank takes to transfer the money and for HWVS to get confirmation from their bank that they have received it!
    So you probably won't get it next week in case you're wondering.

• Advertisement

Hey yep I had thought that, I hate their slow method of payment, will take three working days to even get to them. I paid earlier

Since I've never bought a new pc, i can wait a week! All the parts are in stock now so I'm happy with that , looked like they were really delayed!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

IIRC it takes four days for the first bank transfer to a company and then only one day for subsequent ones... unless you pay extra to get your bank to process it immediately and shave a day off those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Stevie_D_D

As a lad who knows very little about computers but wants to play the latest games at decent quality I might just steal this build too :) I was thinking of getting a new PC for €800 to €1000 so this will probably be as good as I'll get for the money :) One question I have (maybe a stupid one) is whether windows comes with this? Thanks

Solitaire wrote: »
    IIRC it takes four days for the first bank transfer to a company and then only one day for subsequent ones... unless you pay extra to get your bank to process it immediately and shave a day off those times.
    Damn you banks, why do they not accept CC? :S
    Stevie_D_D wrote: »
    As a lad who knows very little about computers but wants to play the latest games at decent quality I might just steal this build too :) I was thinking of getting a new PC for €800 to €1000 so this will probably be as good as I'll get for the money :) One question I have (maybe a stupid one) is whether windows comes with this? Thanks
    Another stealer! :P

Um no it doesn't, I get windows for free so i don't need to buy it but you should buy the german one as it is cheaper than the english one. You then get a cd key that can be used to install the english one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Nice build, I would just like to suggest 1 thing.

Pixmania are selling the Asus GTX460 1GB for €111 at the moment - you could put 2 of these in SLI for little more than the 560ti, for MUCH better performance...

Just something to think about

• Advertisement

Hey thanks for the suggestion but I already ordered, and sli'ing the 560ti's is maybe a little bit of future proofing!

Hey thanks for the suggestion but I already ordered, and sli'ing the 560ti's is maybe a little bit of future proofing!

Ah I didn't spot you were going SLI :)

oh it a good while though! $$$
    be good for hd 3d gaming too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Stevie_D_D

Damn you banks, why do they not accept CC? :S

Another stealer! :P

Um no it doesn't, I get windows for free so i don't need to buy it but you should buy the german one as it is cheaper than the english one. You then get a cd key that can be used to install the english one anyway.

Thanks for the reply :) I've one more question now. If I was to spend an extra €80 getting the i7-2600k rather than the i5-2500k, would I get much more performance? And would it be necessary to adjust any of the other components to accommodate the i7? Forgive my cluelessness :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

For gaming you would see no increase in performance, and possibly even a decrease in some games. The i7-2600k only really helps in heavily threaded tasks such as photoshop, 3d video editing and similar.

If you do a lot of that sorta thing, then it is worth the extra bit of money, and you wouldn't need to change any of the components. Otherwise I would advise against it.

Yep, as far as I can see the i7 is jsut a waste of money for most people, and the i5 a waste of money if you don't overclock

Yep, as far as I can see the i7 is jsut a waste of money for most people, and the i5 a waste of money if you don't overclock

i7 if you do a lot of encoding, transcoding, movie making / editing etc as the extra 4 hyper threaded cores make a HUGE difference.

And I certainly wouldn;t say the 2500k is a waste if you don;t overclock - its only a few quid more than the non K, and is faster than most chips even at stock. Plus you'll always have the option to overclock in future.

I certainly agree that it is better for those things, that is why it is a waste for most people :P As most will not do that.

What I mean about the 2500k is that it is a waste if you never plan to OC as the 2400 would be better value.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Usually, although the 2400 is 200MHz slower and isn't always that much cheaper than the K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Tar did you end up ordering your parts yet? whats 3D gaming like on your monitor and GTX 560Ti? does it struggle at times to keep up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I asked Tar just yesterday had she got it yet in the OC'ing forum and it hadn't arrived. So I guess we will all have to wait for the weekend :P

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Tar did you end up ordering your parts yet? whats 3D gaming like on your monitor and GTX 560Ti? does it struggle at times to keep up?
    Will let you know when it's delivered and made! It was in ireland yesterday so dunno if it arrived yet as I'm not home.

I don't think I own any games that will struggle at all, I better get some!

recommendations of games you'd like me to test for you?
    Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I asked Tar just yesterday had she got it yet in the OC'ing forum and it hadn't arrived. So I guess we will all have to wait for the weekend :P

You sound more excited than me tbh :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Let us know how it goes and make sure to take plenty of pics :)

I'm going to make a mess :P

I'm going to make a mess :P
    Let us know if you need a hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

good luck with it :)

You'll never forget your first time :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

hey sorry to invade this. I built a PC about 2-3 years ago. So I'm really out of touch with stuff, since the tech is evolving so rapidly. And I've nearly forgotten everything.

with a 450 EURO budget (im a student) could you guys piece together something handy for me to order. I hope to game quiet a bit this summer. and Im an ati lad, not nvidia ;p but if you feel nividia are better feel free to add it in.

cheers,

i can see that being me, will be great fun :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

kahf1_01 wrote: »
    hey sorry to invade this. I built a PC about 2-3 years ago. So I'm really out of touch with stuff, since the tech is evolving so rapidly. And I've nearly forgotten everything.

with a 450 EURO budget (im a student) could you guys piece together something handy for me to order. I hope to game quiet a bit this summer. and Im an ati lad, not nvidia ;p but if you feel nividia are better feel free to add it in.

cheers,
    Your best off creating a new thread when looking for help with your build :o

• Advertisement

shoo him out of my thread bouncer fluffy! :D

you'll get better answers in a separate thread! :)

Advertisement