Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband - connection randomly cutting in & out

• 12-06-2011 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    im hoping for some help here from the more techno savvy people than myself!

have the standard eircom broadband netopia router a couple of years now. but since about February i've been noticing the broadband signal cutting in and out becoming much more frequent. (as in it is mostly on 3 green bars, but the red bar will just randomly come on for the internet connection for about one minute and then go back to green for a full connection again) its becoming a real pain for online gaming.

any help or words of advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

+1 im quite annoyed now . ive had eircom out to me 3 times first to upgrade my room to support the broadband line and second to replace the outside connection as the line was faulty. all should and was perfect but now its gone to the dogs. the red like coming on all day . specially when im at school i cant control it and others use our network for the tv so its quite a pain in the arse when the red light is on all day and you cant watch tv. It has to be the fooking router. really really annoying. its a ZyXEL router and it will be broken into a million pieces one of these day unless its sorted :D. Thank you for your customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tungsten Tide

What's the Sytem Setup on ur router like?
    Password: broadband1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

gunner11 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    im hoping for some help here from the more techno savvy people than myself!

have the standard eircom broadband netopia router a couple of years now. but since about February i've been noticing the broadband signal cutting in and out becoming much more frequent. (as in it is mostly on 3 green bars, but the red bar will just randomly come on for the internet connection for about one minute and then go back to green for a full connection again) its becoming a real pain for online gaming.

any help or words of advice would be appreciated.
    In a nutshell, post up the DSL statistics here but I'm nearly certain as to what they'll say. Have a search in the forum for threads about "internal wiring" or when people have had similar problems to yours. Golden rule is that junctions and extension sockets and long extension leads are the bane of good DSL connections. Using a 3 way splitter to supply phones around the house is a good way to mess up DSL! Plug the modem into the main socket of the house if at all possible and disconnect any wires leading from the main socket that go to old unused sockets etc. You may need a screwdriver to do that. And also leaving sky boxes unfiltered will cause problems.

Tidying up the internal wiring works for some people, but many people have to call up eircom and ask for a reduction in their internet speed by 1 mbit. Say from 7mbps to 6mbps and so on. A reliable 2 mbit connection would work much better for gaming than an unreliable 7 mbit connection.

Advertisement