Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to attract American Company for VISA?

• 12-06-2011 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Same as a lot of threads here, I was over in the states a few years ago and I have alwasy wanted to go back. I work in a sales position in Ireland and I am about to start a night time degree in Business & Marketing which will take 4 years. My goal is to move to America in 4 - 5 years. I have applied for the US Visa every year for the last 8 and never won...

Can anyone give any advice on how to attract an American Company to employee me and sponsor my visa? Is there anything I should be thinking about now so that I am prepared? It may seem very early to be thinking about it but I'd rather be really prepared and to make sure it happens!

Regards,

Joejoem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Doing a Masters after your degree would definitely help, or getting employed by a firm with offices in the USA during/ after your degree- make friends with the US employees, especially managerial types, and they may pull strings for you. Speaking different languages can also help, especially Spanish.

Getting work visas is difficult right now due to the economical situation, but this may change by the time you are ready to move over; in any case though, unless you get an intra-company transfer (L1 visa), you need to be in a highly-sought-after occupation, which may be difficult in a business/ marketing setting unless you get management or consultancy experience.

One option may be to do a J1 (internship for students or recent graduates) either during the summer or a year-long one during a gap year or right after the degree; this will give you an opportunity to see whether you like the USA- being here on holiday or working is very different- and also enable you to make connections with companies that may later sponsor you.

Advertisement