Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work experience in the social work area

Options
  • 12-06-2011 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm looking to do some sort of work experience over the summer in the area of Social Work. I know this is a difficult area to get experience in due to the amount of confidentiality etc. Does anyone have any suggestions or know anybody I could email or call? I'm looking for somewhere preferably in the Naas area!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

have you tried Kildare County Council??? try and contact their head social worker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

xoaudhep wrote: »
    I'm looking to do some sort of work experience over the summer in the area of Social Work. I know this is a difficult area to get experience in due to the amount of confidentiality etc. Does anyone have any suggestions or know anybody I could email or call? I'm looking for somewhere preferably in the Naas area!

Realistically you are going to find it hard to get social work experience because it’s impossible to get work when you aren’t qualified. BUT you can get experience in the areas which make up social work; social care, advocacy, law, direct work, parenting, working with vulnerable groups such as homeless, drugs, alcohol, disability, housing, residential work, probation…. What is your situation at the moment; are you in the social care field already and/or have qualifications relevant? If so, you should find it easy to get more work elsewhere, for variety. If not, you will have to start at the volunteering end of things and building up your portfolio..

What areas of social work are you interested in, that might shed some light and I’ll try source some info

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

try get work as an outreach worker!thats what Im doing!start SW Masters in September,so experience will hopefully prove valuable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭xoaudhep

thanks for your replies...it's mainly hospital social work I'm interested in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

xoaudhep wrote: »
    thanks for your replies...it's mainly hospital social work I'm interested in

You could try emailing the social work team in local hospitals asking to shadow etc but honestly I think it is going to be incredibly hard to get in without a)being on placement b) being a qualified SW. Worth emailing tho to try get a day shadowing and ask for direction from them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement