Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenage Hormones

Options
  • 12-06-2011 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

How do other parents deal with the kevin and perry (AKA teenage moods) moments in their life??

Do you ignore them or laugh at them??

I was talking to a friend of mine who has a 15 year old daughter and once her daughter starts a mood coming on my friend starts to sing lol As much as I thought this was really funny my son would do his nut :eek: I think lol

So what do u guys do?

(my god do I now feel terrible for what I put my parents through :eek:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Play 'em the silent tone. Works every time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Fbjm wrote: »
    Play 'em the silent tone. Works every time ;)

Lol yea I do that from time to time but then I start to feel all guilty!

Irish mummys and they boys :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Adolescence can be a horrible time. Your stuck in this in between body, you want to be an adult and yet part of you wants to be a child. Your hormones are doing all sorts of crazy things that you cannot quite get a grip on. You resist boundaries yet at the same time need them. It feels like the world is against you and no one can understand you. Throw into the mix emotions, stress, friends, relationships.

Then have a parent who laughs, sings and ignores you when sometimes what you really want is someone to acknowledge you’ve had a sh*t day.

I don’t think overall singing over a teenager works..it infuriated me and made me feel so alone and like I couldn’t trust my Mum to take me seriously. Again, parents need to tune into their kids and know when to ignore a mood and when not to.

Adolescence can be a horrible time. Your stuck in this in between body, you want to be an adult and yet part of you wants to be a child. Your hormones are doing all sorts of crazy things that you cannot quite get a grip on. You resist boundaries yet at the same time need them. It feels like the world is against you and no one can understand you. Throw into the mix emotions, stress, friends, relationships.

Then have a parent who laughs, sings and ignores you when sometimes what you really want is someone to acknowledge you’ve had a sh*t day.

I don’t think overall singing over a teenager works..it infuriated me and made me feel so alone and like I couldn’t trust my Mum to take me seriously. Again, parents need to tune into their kids and know when to ignore a mood and when not to.

I kinda meant this thread to be light hearted :)

But I see what your saying, mine wants to be all big and grown up and if he hurts himself he wants his mum..

Its hard on them all as it was for us! :)
    Tuning into teenage hormone is near impossibe IMO.

Its very important to have fun with your teens :)

My apologies, I didn't realise!!

I hated being a teen, so I'm uber-sensitive :)

• Advertisement

My apologies, I didn't realise!!

I hated being a teen, so I'm uber-sensitive :)

Aww no worries :)

I think all teens hate it sometimes to...

I make sure that at least twice a week me and my son either go to the park together or play a board game... Last nite I made him play Monopoly with me...he moaned, gave out did the "its so unfair" thing...

But after he beat me he did his victory dance as he calls it!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

My goth is sporting a purple streak in her hair (Summer Hols) and I can currently do no wrong:D Oops spoke to soon;)

Pandora2 wrote: »
    My goth is sporting a purple streak in her hair (Summer Hols) and I can currently do no wrong:D Oops spoke to soon;)

Tell her how "SICK" it looks and it will be gone by the morning :D

"SICK" = teenage word for very cool :D

It has just cost me a fortune!! I will learn to love it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 magrat

I keep the singing inside my head ... and also inside my head I keep telling myself 'this too will pass'!!

When my teenage son was sporting a mohawk we just accepted it - and it did his head in one day when i went on a message board and asked advice about the best products to use.... I think we were meant to lose the rag over it not like it!!

When it comes to teens 'don't sweat the small stuff' really comes into its own!

Now I just find counting to ten and taking a big breath helps the most.

And stay connected to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I have the beginnings of it with my 12 year old. . it's hilarious so far cos i remember doing the same things. .. slamming doors stomping up the stairs. . communicating via eye rolling and sighing. .:D only problem is now my poor husband has pregnant hormones and teenage hormone to put up with .. :eek:

In the back of my head i count to 50. . take numerous deep breaths and remind myself this too will pass. . most of it is not her fault but sometimes it does end up in a row and then i get all pregnant teary and blubber into the dishcloth and she comes round :D win

Someone buy that man a pint!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Personally I feel like lamping my son, 16 in 2 weeks and is the hardest & cleverest thing to walk the earth... and absolute little twat but I do remember being very similar...

The highs and lows are unreal when they're like this... and please don't reply to this with some trendy PC ****e about being their friend or something, teenagers don't wnat this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

My sons cspe teacher told their class that their parents shouldnt get cross at them when they are in a bad mood as its not their fault its their hormones causing them to behave badly!!!! Talk about giving them a green light to play up. I told him I accept a certain amount of hormonal behaviour, but that I as a female am prone to hormonal moods too and I have had to learn to curb them or life would be a nightmare for us all, that stopped him in his tracks.:D

Noffles wrote: »
    The highs and lows are unreal when they're like this... and please don't reply to this with some trendy PC ****e about being their friend or something, teenagers don't wnat this.

I have to say I agree and don't like the whole 'being a friend, not a parent' attitude as teenagers still need parents. Whilst they can at time be 'friend-like' in their approaches, they are still the adult, the parent, the care giver and at the end of the day they lay down the boundaries and guidelines.

I have to say I agree and don't like the whole 'being a friend, not a parent' attitude as teenagers still need parents. Whilst they can at time be 'friend-like' in their approaches, they are still the adult, the parent, the care giver and at the end of the day they lay down the boundaries and guidelines.

Do you think you can be a friend and a parent?

:)

Justask wrote: »
    Do you think you can be a friend and a parent?

:)

As the child gets older, towards late teens and adulthood, then yes. But during childhood and adolescence, it's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

My sons cspe teacher told their class that their parents shouldnt get cross at them when they are in a bad mood as its not their fault its their hormones causing them to behave badly!!!! Talk about giving them a green light to play up. I told him I accept a certain amount of hormonal behaviour, but that I as a female am prone to hormonal moods too and I have had to learn to curb them or life would be a nightmare for us all, that stopped him in his tracks.:D

The human brain actually does get rewired between the age of 12 to 18 so in some ways they can't help it. Treat teens as you would a kid of two going through the 'terrible tantrums' i.e. ignore as much as you can and it will be a lot easier to get through. Having said that, I would NOT be impressed if a teacher said that to my kids! I wonder if that same teacher lets teens away with stuff in the class due to hormones?!!

As the child gets older, towards late teens and adulthood, then yes. But during childhood and adolescence, it's different.

Since i have come onto this forum I have learned that no 2 parents parent the same.

And what works for one parent will be a diaster for another. :)
    I think its a great place to learn a few things.

I think teens and parents can be friends once he teen knows the boundaries! (actually once both know the boundaries)

Dont get me wrong some days I feel like pulling my hair out and getting into the car to get away!

But for the most part I think kids and parents is a friendship :)

Justask wrote: »
    Since i have come onto this forum I have learned that no 2 parents parent the same.

And what works for one parent will be a diaster for another. :)
    I think its a great place to learn a few things.

I think teens and parents can be friends once he teen knows the boundaries! (actually once both know the boundaries)

Dont get me wrong some days I feel like pulling my hair out and getting into the car to get away!

But for the most part I think kids and parents is a friendship :)

Totally agree that different things work for different families. Absolutely. But I'm still with the friend approaches in parenting rather than straight out friend approach.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I've a 12 year old girl, and two lads aged 14 and 17.....

We all get along very well and I've not had any eye rolling/tantrums from the lads up to this point but am noticing the mood swings with my daughter.

I've always told my boys from a young age that it is normal for them to think I'm the biggest biatch in the world when they are this age. They've been told that they can think what they like of me / go to their room and roar it into a pillow but I will not tolerate them being disrespectful verbally to me.

This has worked and the eldest has never so much as had a bad word to say........he is no angel and has been in trouble over 2 drink related incidents (normal teenage stuff last year which has been reoilved and he's a new lad this year)

I hope things go as smoothly with my daughter!!

Ta :D:D:D All is well, made it thru that particular storm;) Just waiting for the next!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm 15 and when I am in a mood you can't do anything really! It depends what it's about but sometimes whatever you do is wrong so I suppose you just have to figure out when to leave it or not!

Advertisement