Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Multipla

Options
  • 12-06-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Now I know this isn't the *ahem* most aesthetically pleasing of cars :o but we need a 6 seater. No car at the moment as we are living in a town but just want something cheap and cheerful for day trips around Ireland during the summer with the kids. Plus the Multipla seems to have a decent size boot compared to most people carriers.

What is peoples verdict?

Much appreciated,
    Lola.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Anyone who has them swears by them......or at them.

Good car is you can live with the looks. The interior is brittle and wears easily but the mechanicals are solid enough.

Cheap car for what you are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Plenty of cheap 7 seaters out there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Lola92 wrote: »
    Now I know this isn't the *ahem* most aesthetically pleasing of cars :o but we need a 6 seater. No car at the moment as we are living in a town but just want something cheap and cheerful for day trips around Ireland during the summer with the kids. Plus the Multipla seems to have a decent size boot compared to most people carriers.

What is peoples verdict?

Much appreciated,
    Lola.

Opel Zafira/VW Touran or Avensis/Corolla Verso would be a much better car OP.

Those Multiplas are a noful looking yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Lola92 wrote: »

What is peoples verdict?

Much appreciated,
    Lola.

Get a Verso ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

My main issue with the most popular 7 seaters (alhambra, galaxy etc.) is there is hardly any space in the boot. We have a big buggy plus gear for 4 kids to fit in as well.

Feel free to suggest any other models you think would be worth having a look at though!:)

• Advertisement

-Corkie- wrote: »

Haha I know, OH has made it clear he won't be seen in it, much less driving it! :DWill have a think about your suggestions, Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Try the Honda FRV. That sits three across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

-Corkie- wrote: »

A diesel multipla would be at least their equal. I like the looks too. It's not trying to pretend it's anything but a functional people mover.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the Multipla does the job for you OP then who cares about how it looks from the outside, you will be sitting inside it most of the time anyway so you won't see it. :D

Also if the original Multipla looks are too grim for you then get one of the facelifted models which has more sober exterier.

Thanks Bazz, tbh I don't know whether I'm trying to talk myself into or out of this!!

With regards mechanical problems does anyone know of anything I should be on the lookout for?

Cheers for all the replies guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Personally, I think the Mk1 Multipla looks pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I think they are grand.

Now this is over priced but looks clean. Any more info on budgets and needs Op so we can at least help suggest a car.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2156290

Budget - Well as cheap as possible to be honest. It really is just a Summer 'day out' runaround we want, won't be used very much for day to day driving as we do live in the centre of a town. Must be NCT'd. Bit of tax doesn't hurt.

To be honest I'm not mad on the facelifted model, looks a bit like the mercedes a class I think. Prefer quirky me! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

Go for the Multipla, I nearly bought a Mk1 when they came out first (even though there's only 3 of us!), missus talked me out of it boo. I really liked the oddball styling, I don't mean I liked it aesthetically, I liked its "oddballness". Steer clear of the odd petrol one you may come across, the diesel is the only one worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

My uncle has a 00 Multipla with around 110k on the clock now. Since he bought his (mid 2007) the car has never put a foot wrong. And personally I like the look of them.

Inside is really spacious, altough the boot isn't the biggest. My uncle has the 1.6 petrol engine, and I have to say it's not bad, and you wouldn't call it slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dysman

We have a 05 petrol one (the one with the facelift) and it's ok, my wife likes it a lot because of the space inside and it's handy around town. the six seats suit us perfectly, herself, myself and the four kids.

The advantage we see in it is that there is more boot space than you get in a seven seater and it's a nice car to drive.

We have had ours for a year or two now and only have had a few problems

The exhaust manifold is prone to cracking and cost us the region of €500, bought the manifold from FIAT Ireland and got the local mechanic to fit it, would have been close to €750 in a FIAT garage.

Another thing was we got a bit of play in one of the back wheels (the wheel even looked to tilt in at the top). Tried to get a beating kit from FIAT Ireland and all they would sell was a whole swing arm and looked for mad money (can't remember the exact price), took a chance on a kit from ebay (something like ~ €50 incl P&P) and got it fitted by the local mechanic for a few quid extra and perfect ever since.

The only other problem we had was the micro switch on the boot lid would go intermittent - drove the wife crazy, one time she was late getting the kids to school and then the boot would not open, had to get the school bags out through the back seat. Looked around on the net and this seems to be a common problem. Most times taking out the switch and cleaning it will sort out the problem but I hot wired it to put a button under the hand brake so now we can open the boot from inside the car - handy on a wet day on the school run.

Apart from the above we would say we are pretty happy with the car and to sort these things out didn't really cost all that much, I suppose I would recomend it - well it suits us anyways :D

Best of luck with whatever you go for and hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'd have one too - and nearly did but for the fact I couldn't find a good diesel when we were looking last. Thing about them is they have 6 full sized seats, which you need for child seats. The FRV has a somewhat narrower middle front seat, so is slightly less cramped. For value-for-money and practicality its hard to see their equal.

And the looks of the original are cool - it was even on the Top Gear cool wall (if that's important to you!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Honda FRV has the same seating arrangement as a Multipla.

It won't make your eyes bleed or throw silly tantrums either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

n97 mini wrote: »

It won't make your eyes bleed or throw silly tantrums either.

I bet I'm not alone in thinking this but the FRV is a terribly dull, dumpy looking yoke! The Multipla was deliberately designed to look bonkers, Honda tried (and failed) to fit the inside of a "Multipla" into a regular(ish) hatchback shape, it's neither original or good. True, the FRV will be meticulously put together and will probably still run like a Swiss watch even after 200,000 miles but that's not what this thread is about (and OP has confessed to a bit of a fetish for the Multipla Mk1):D

Sssssssssssshhh... tellin' people about my fetishes :eek: :D

I'm not mad on the FRV and it's a bit out of our price range for what we're looking for - essentially an occasional use runaround, and maybe the weekly shop as well.

Glad to hear of the (mostly) good experiences! Let's be honest, it certainly isn't everybody's cup of tea looks wise, but I don't mind that :)

The main attractions of the Multipla are full seats (2 still in child & baby seats) and the bigger boot.

Again I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well my mechanic got one.

To be honest he had one, then sold it because it was petrol, then bought mondeo ,but sold it after 1 week, then bought a diesel multipla. After 2 weeks bought anather one for 500eu to have for spares.

It's good unique car if you cam live with looks. Good for big families with kids. Remember it has 3 seats in front and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Octavia?

Plenty of room in the boot for the kid without a seat along with the gear and buggy! :pac:

Clever thinking....;) Although I don't think it would work unfortunately :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Excellent all round visibilty especially out the back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

TheAnswer wrote: »
    I bet I'm not alone in thinking this but the FRV is a terribly dull, dumpy looking yoke! The Multipla was deliberately designed to look bonkers, Honda tried (and failed) to fit the inside of a "Multipla" into a regular(ish) hatchback shape, it's neither original or good. True, the FRV will be meticulously put together and will probably still run like a Swiss watch even after 200,000 miles but that's not what this thread is about (and OP has confessed to a bit of a fetish for the Multipla Mk1):D
    Sure, as long as the OP knows what she is letting herself in for. Namely something that has terrible resale value as it's highly undesirable (even vs the FRV), and something that's not known for its build quality (a colleague has one... water leaks in on top of the ECU).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,319 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sure, as long as the OP knows what she is letting herself in for. Namely something that has terrible resale value

Low resale value is excellent for the prospective buyer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

No, it doesn't.

The big plus in the Multipla is six full-size seats. All the seats are the same size as the drivers seat.

The FRV has three smaller seats in the rear, and the front-row center seat is tiny. The FRV just isn't wide enough to do 6 full size seats.

Advertisement