Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a teacher on facebook

• 12-06-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭

Hypothetically - Say if you got on really well with a teacher in school. I mean you had the same interests, regularly competed against them in sport and s/he was only 4/5 years older than you. It wasn't really a student/teacher relationship and you both worked on mutual respect, do you think it would be appropriate to add him/her on facebook after the Leaving Cert? Just to keep in contact?

That it if you weren't going to see them again after the end of school and didn't get a chance to ask them if it would be ok. Do ye think it is appropriate or totally off the cards?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Our teachers always let students add them once they have left school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

It wouldn't be inappropriate for you to invite them, but I do think it would be for them to accept it.
    Their personal and professional lives should never be mixed imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

I know people in my school did add teachers after they finished. Infact I am friends with a teacher who was doin TP in my school and after he left i added him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I don't see anything wrong with it, I was thinking of adding one of my teachers who I've gotten on well with and spent more time chatting to out of class than in. Once you leave school I don't think the teacher/student barrier is really there as much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know some of my colleagues accept 'add' requests from recent students, but I personally think it's inappropriate.
    The only past pupils I have added are over 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I don't see the problem at all! Nearly everyone in my PE class is friends with the teacher! :L, she's great crack! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

I know i definitely wouldnt do it. But thats just me , I suppose it depends on the individual. Maybe you feel now that its sad to leave everyone and you want to stay in touch , but do you think when your enjoying the summer and beginnin college in September youll be thinking of old teachers and secondary school life ? I certainly hope I wont :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I know i definitely wouldnt do it. But thats just me , I suppose it depends on the individual. Maybe you feel now that its sad to leave everyone and you want to stay in touch , but do you think when your enjoying the summer and beginnin college in September youll be thinking of old teachers and secondary school life ? I certainly hope I wont :rolleyes:

I actually think I will! :O So sad to be leaving everyone and everything! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

I would not add them, especially when the inevitable frape happens and the teacher you are friends with gets sent messages etc. :pac:
    Might be a different story if the teacher is only young or doing TP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We all went to the pub with our teachers on our last day :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

I've added two of my teachers on facebook. One I actually talk to on a regular basis actually. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Just add whoever you want, it's not as if you're going to be seeing them face to face again any time soon..

AdamD wrote: »
    We all went to the pub with our teachers on our last day :cool:
    On grad night a few year ago the teachers went out at on the same night the students did, a few people were dancing with some of them in a nightclub :D
    Great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

If you're that close/bonded with each other, simplest thing would be to say "wanna add me on facebook" or whatever on the last day? Ball's in their court, and if they don't like it then you don't have to see them again bar by chance. Better than doing it online and them going "uhhhhhhhhh" with no warning, but that's just my opinion =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

It would be so inappropriate for a teacher to add a student. I reckon if this was on the Teaching and Lecturing forum you'd be likely to get a similar response to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

One guy that did TP in our school last year added a heap of girls (6th years) after he left, he was only 3-4 years older than us. Now we have about 100 mutual friends, most people in the school added him for the craic, and he accpeted! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

I actually think I will! :O So sad to be leaving everyone and everything! :(
    Fair enough - sure why not then if you really get on well enough. In my school though, im pretty sure none of the teachers would accept any of us 6th years now its too soon after school. Maybe in a few years or something it would be different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

ElleEm wrote: »
    It would be so inappropriate for a teacher to add a student. I reckon if this was on the Teaching and Lecturing forum you'd be likely to get a similar response to mine.

But if you do it after you leave...well then they aren't a teacher and you aren't their student :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

A group of lads in my school know another lads password (They're all good friends so its all in good humor) and once a week they keep adding the same teacher on facebook and he keeps refusing!
    Once in class he said "I'm not going to name names, but I only accept students on facebook if they've been gone for 5 years". Everyone started laughing. Including the lad who keeps adding him :p
    On the last day the teacher asked him to leave him alone, and that he has some strange obsession :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

But if you do it after you leave...well then they aren't a teacher and you aren't their student :P

I think you'd have to wait a fair while before it is acceptable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

dont do it until you finish school. in the meantime if the teacher adds you.you should befriend as not to insult, but the the teacher should know better as not to mix work with social networking.
    peace out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Yeah, if I do it, I wouldn't do it until perhaps when I start college later on in the year. It would just be awkward and inapparopriate to add them when they're still your teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

The one teacher I'm friends with on Facebook was my JC/LC English teacher. I, along with a few other students, are friends with her in real life (have even been out drinking with her), so it's not that strange to us. She's a person I'd actually have more in common with than a lot of the other friends I have on FB, even though she's over 10 years older than me. I think it's okay in that situation.

There's only one other teacher I'd ever consider keeping in contact with after school, he'd also be the only one I'd accept a request from. I think it'd be weird to send or receive a request during your school years unless you had that kind of relationship with your teacher though.

It's strange that this has now become an almost moral issue. The days of Bebo and MySpace are well and truly gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

I'd say i's alright around the end of sixth year, only inappropriate if they started adding earlier years, some teachers get on really well with students.My geography teacher only turned 22 he used to come out to lunch with us at the end 6th year, it's nothing really major anymore we're all finished school and equals now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

There's a difference between your teacher being in the same night club as you or going out on the last day of term; it's on the teacher's terms. Adding someone on Fb is allowing them access to a lot more than your company for a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

PJelly wrote: »
    A group of lads in my school know another lads password (They're all good friends so its all in good humor) and once a week they keep adding the same teacher on facebook and he keeps refusing!
    Once in class he said "I'm not going to name names, but I only accept students on facebook if they've been gone for 5 years". Everyone started laughing. Including the lad who keeps adding him :p
    On the last day the teacher asked him to leave him alone, and that he has some strange obsession :D

That's awesome, totally laughed!

Well, I don't see what the problem is in adding a teacher as a friend, when you're done with school. One or two teachers in my school added students to their profile, and this was like, last year (so we were in 5th year and others younger). Although I don't think THAT'S 100% ok, this is different, as the whole 'Teacher / student' relationship is officially over. Some people are treating as if it's a lot more than just adding someone. Fgs, most people go around adding total strangers, thinking FB is a competition to see who has more unknown friends, so why is that 'nromal' and this isn't? There is nothing wrong with a higher level of intimacy (if you can call adding someone, that!) between both of you, since you are no longer in a uhhhh... 'professional' relationship or the likes.

I also think that once you're in college (since you're officially an adult and all), it's totally ok to add your professors, even if still being taught by them. So, go for it :) and by the looks of it, sounds like things may flourish between both of you. In whatever sense you want to take it as.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

For some reason, a teacher adding a student just seems to be a completely different case to a student adding a teacher.
    I don't know why. In my head it just seems.... strange :p
    Maybe it's due to our teachers in school. There's one or two that, if they added me. I'd be very concerned :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

theres acouple of teachers in my school who are sound and fresh out of college, but I doubt they would be getting added to my FB account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 vagi_bleeder

Im friends with about 4 of my teachers, doesn't affect me really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Depends on the time you add them and the relationship you had with the teacher. As a general rule of thumb, I don't add any of my professional colleagues on Facebook until I am finished in that profession. In layman's terms, don't add a teacher/boss until you leave school/work. You could add them beforehand if you wanted to, but be careful: what they see on your profile could affect their opinion of you, leading to dire consequences. (Anyone hear about the BA hostess who got fired for having a photo of her in uniform as her DP on Facebook? That's what I mean.)

Again, each to their own at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Teachers are not supposed to accept. Even past pupils. It could land them in hot water.

Advertisement