Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology HL Experiments involving chemicals

• 12-06-2011 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Could someone tell me the experiments where chemicals are used. I don't need the names of the chemicals, just the names of the experiments. I have the full list of experiments but I just want to isolate those ones. A link with the list of them would be helpful to. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

For the enzyme experiments with catalase, you use hydrogen peroxide.

Alcohol Iodoform test involves sodium hypochorite and potassium iodide I think.

IAA test obviously involves IAA (Indole acetic acid)

Food tests involve chemicals too. That's all I can think of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Alcohol Iodoform test involves sodium hypochorite and potassium iodide I think.
    Is that a Biology experiment? It sounds an awful lot like the Chemistry bleach titration (Sans the Alcohol of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Yes it is a biology experiment to investigate the production of alcohol by yeast.. It tests for the presence.absence of alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

So I have:

Food Tests
    Preparation of and staining cells
    Effect of pH on rate of enzyme action
    Effect of temperature on enzyme action
    Effect of heat denaturation on enzyme activity
    Enzyme immobilisation and its application
    Production of alcohol by yeast
    Effect of IAA on plant tissue

Is that them all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The isolation of DNA from plant tissue mentions protease and ethanol but nothing else so I guess that isn't really chemical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Cydoniac wrote: »
    The isolation of DNA from plant tissue mentions protease and ethanol but nothing else so I guess that isn't really chemical.

And protease can be left out if the fruit you use is a kiwi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Pyro gallol (spelled wrong?)
    In the test for ideal germination conditions. It creates and anaerobic environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

PJelly wrote: »
    Pyro gallol (spelled wrong?)
    In the test for ideal germination conditions. It creates and anaerobic environment.

I actually have that crossed out in my book. We used something else for that.

Advertisement