Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels for tall ships

• 12-06-2011 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭

So i am reading some rag today I think it was the news of the world and I come across a half page article really having a real go at the hotels in Waterford for "up to trippling" their prices for the tall ships. they even showed pictuers of the tower, Ramada and another that I can't remember.

I think they quoted the tower for saying a room on the thursday night is €230(or there abouts) while it's €79.99 the week before. thy even quoted some guy from fair trade something or other saying how unfair they are being.

So what do ya think? personally i think it's pure shít of an article. same thing happens in Galway every year for the races or Cardiff fo the heninken cup final. just the way of the world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

pure greed!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

Well a month ago or so there was an article saying Waterford had the cheapest holtels in the country where as Kilkenny had the most expensive. So if you are bottom of pile and this helps keep yours doors open you have to charge soemthing extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ellie1984

Yea, just the usual rubbish of the news of the world. Attached to the article they should have supplied examples of when the demand is higher and the supply lower the prices don't go up.
    It's hotels we're talking about, not charities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Article in Sunday times fitzwilliam 259 euro double room 115 a week earlier . Ramada Viking double 140, 49 a week earlier.tower hotel 175 for a double room , 89 a week earlier. Woodlands is 99 euro around time of tall ships, 49 the previous week. Yes it happens at all other festivals , does it make it right, no it %#^* doesn't IMHO .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

So for the people saying that this practice is justified...how would they feel if the buses did the same...and the local shops...and the chemists...

The hotels should be content with the fact that they will be full for that weekend and their bars and restaurant will be full. How can you say it's ok for one business to charge more and not another?

• Advertisement

So for the people saying that this practice is justified...how would they feel if the buses did the same...and the local shops...and the chemists...

The hotels should be content with the fact that they will be full for that weekend and their bars and restaurant will be full. How can you say it's ok for one business to charge more and not another?
    Exacly what I was thinkIng should taxi drivers or publicans double their prices so.

Exacly what I was thinkIng should taxi drivers or publicans double their prices so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm not saying they are right what I was getting at in the OP is that the NOTW is making it sound like Waterford is the only place that does this when clearly everywhere does?

You ever been to Vegas? A room that costs you $60 on a Tuesday will cost you $200 on a normal Saturday. I'd imagine it's industy wide. No need to single out the city like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Waterford is not been singled out. it's been used as the most current example of this sort of extortion,as the Tall Ships are coming. It stinks and the hotels should be ashamed of themselves. The hotels should be using this as an opportunity to promote themselves and encourage visitors to come back, not grab a quick buck.

I accept that this goes on all the time, it just doesn't make it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

I think it got extra attention because of the ironic campaign of pushing Waterford hotels as the cheapest in the country. It was setup for an article like this to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I expect the pubs will charge more. I doubt they will have their promotions on which are the 'norm'.

I think its going a bit overboard about the hotels. Hotels are being compared to taxis. But taxis, the cinema, hotels, Ryanair, pubs and restaurants almost all have higher prices during peak times (even if they call it a mid-week or early bird discount). Its normal.

The only question is if €259 is good value, which most people would probably say its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

its fair enough cost wise............... but i still cant work out how you would fit the tall ship into the hotel:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I remember this arguement on another thread recently, I think its fair, supply and demand and all that.... but I read the article also and while they where knocking the Waterford prices they where lauding another hotel about 20 pages later that charged like 500€ a night so proably jus a slow news day

The News of the World is worse than The Sun.

They didn't even include a photo of Georgia Salpa :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭backtobass

absolutely scandalous,

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

here y'ar poor man. I love the bitch tooo.:Dthumbnail.aspx?q=997257184758&id=17872c751814b8e00f1d12744e69b378&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.beertripper.com%2fOffTopic%2f2010%2foff-pics%2fIreland%2fGeorgia_Salpa_Socks.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Lads, it's all about supply elasticity (or something like that - did none of ye do economics in school/college?)

The pubs can double or triple their turnover because they can buy in extra stock to sell. Their only constraint is how many staff they can get behind the bar, the size of the pub, how far outside the Guards will let people stand with drink, etc.

Taxis can do likewise, so instead of just heading out from 7 in the evening until 3 in the morning on a Saturday, the driver can work all the hours God sends him over the weekend. He can get his brother to drive the cab while he's sleeping, and increase his "supply" (i.e. availability) in this way.

The supply of hotel rooms in Waterford is, to all intents and purposes, fixed (until someone decides to invest €10 million in building a new hotel). If someone wants a room in town badly enough that weekend, it's the accepted norm that they will pay top dollar.

Should a hotel turn away the punters who are prepared to pay €250 a night just so as to risk some bad publicity, or risk p155ing off someone who was only prepared to pay €100? Should they f**k! They should look after the people who are prepared to pay, because they're where the profit is! If they did otherwise, they'd go out of business in a flash.

If you want accommodation down town in the middle of a huge festival, you should be prepared to pay for it. If you can't afford it, then tough.

There are plenty of options anyway. Here are a few: find someone with a spare room near town, pitch a tent somewhere, get a camper van, or drive down from Kilkenny (30 minutes away; plenty of great hotels).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

News Of The World is pure ****e, they would write any crap for a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

hotels follow the exact same business model as say Ryanair..when demand is low prices are low..they may even sell rooms below cost in the hope of making a few quid in the restaurant or bar, so likewise when demand is high prices will be high...
    As the above poster said they work on a fixed supply...If pubs only had x amount of beer to sell and demand outweighed supply then you can bet your bottom dollar that prices would be rising..it's a universal business principle...

Great point actually. I'd live to know what kind of money a pint would cost(or what people would be willing to pay) if a bar could only sell 120 of them a night

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    Great point actually. I'd live to know what kind of money a pint would cost(or what people would be willing to pay) if a bar could only sell 120 of them a night

Well you can easily go to another pub. But pubs do peak pricing. You don't get the same offers on a Saturday as you do on a Tuesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Some Dublin hotels have trebled their prices this week because of Take That concerts. I'll be coming home after the concert.

dayshah wrote: »
    Well you can easily go to another pub. But pubs do peak pricing. You don't get the same offers on a Saturday as you do on a Tuesday night.

Ah ya I realise that but let's say for argument sake that Drmand for booze on a Saturday night was far greater then supply. I'd be interested to see what would be the max people would pay for their drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

I doubt the hotels in waterford are even HALF as busy this summer as previous.

I know its harsh they are taking advantage of the Tall Ships, but they have to get money in to pay wages! maybe the money made over the tall ships could be the big thing that keeps people in jobs over the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

TheJims wrote: »
    I doubt the hotels in waterford are even HALF as busy this summer as previous.

I know its harsh they are taking advantage of the Tall Ships, but they have to get money in to pay wages! maybe the money made over the tall ships could be the big thing that keeps people in jobs over the summer?

Maybe I'm being naive but I would be of the assertion that if the hotels didn't raise the prices, or at least not as much as the are reported to have, that would encourage people to come back, or spread the word about the hotel, therefore generating business for the hotels. Instead, I feel people wont return as they will feel ripped off during the Tall Ships.

But in fairness, all hotels, all over the world raise prices during festivals. Doesn't make it ok in my book though.

ziedth wrote: »
    Ah ya I realise that but let's say for argument sake that Drmand for booze on a Saturday night was far greater then supply. I'd be interested to see what would be the max people would pay for their drink.

Well, I suppose on Spraoi saturday night the demand exceeds supply (the barmen just can't work any faster to pour more beer).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 missnescafe

Waterford has been singled out in all these articles . . it happens everywhere. . all these hotels are fully booked with people willing to pay these prices. Tall ships is excellent to have in Ireland, hopefully it will give the city and country a boost . ! !

Advertisement