Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hurley Size?

• 12-06-2011 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

What size hurley should i use? im about 5'7-5'8? Any Help Greatley appreciated
    david.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Probably 34 but it's all down to personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

ya lidl have them tomorow just checking before i buy:)

I actually had a look at the last Lidl ones. They weren't bad at all.

where they not:o i wudnt have a clue of quality lol how do you mesure is it how far the hurley goes upto your hip:)thanks.

The size Is roughly upto your hip. The quality depends on lots of things... Grain, feel, strike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

I am 6 foot 1 and i use a 34". But everyone has there own preference.
    Recommended way of checking:
    Hold hurley by your side so that it is touching the ground.
    Then place your hand on the hurley, there should be about an inch of space at the top of the hurley above your hand. That should be the right size.
    Happy Hurling

great help thanks:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

I am 6 foot 1 and i use a 34". But everyone has there own preference.
    Recommended way of checking:
    Hold hurley by your side so that it is touching the ground.
    Then place your hand on the hurley, there should be about an inch of space at the top of the hurley above your hand. That should be the right size.
    Happy Hurling

Correct, except there shouldnt be any space at the top of the hurley. Donal O'Grady fact.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Connorzee wrote: »
    Correct, except there shouldnt be any space at the top of the hurley. Donal O'Grady fact.

Not just Donal O Grady, any coach worth their salt - an inch on top can lead to an incorrect grip very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭bren2001

Im 6 1 and Ive used a 32 for years. The only reason I don't use a 30 is because I cannot strike the ball on the ground with it. People think its strange but I remember playing Dublin U15 (I was 6 0 then) and Tommy Naughton (the manager at the time, the few weeks before he became the senior manager) gave us a big lecture on how the biggest hurl should be a 32. Ive listened to him and my game improved immensely....then I did my knee in.

• Advertisement

Not just Donal O Grady, any coach worth their salt - an inch on top can lead to an incorrect grip very quickly.

Quite a general statement there.
    I suppose that's why different opinions are so important. My opinion on this, like everything else in life is, take on as much information as possible, and with that you make up your own mind as to what is right and what is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

and are you a coach worth their salt. i very much doubt that somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Hurl size is really a personal preference imo.

I am 5'10 and always used a 35 hurl - a bit awkward to get that size sometimes, but it suited me down to the ground. The worst thing I found is if you had a hurl that was too big for you. It took an age to swing it and you ran the risk of getting hooked, unless you were a goalie taking a puck-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

do not measure up along the side of leg

hold the hurley at the end, in one hand
    if the heel of the hurley cannot be touched off the ground with a straight arm then the hurley is too long

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A lot of inter county hurlers are going for smaller hurleys as they are harder to hook, I recently saw a few of the Clare team's hurleys and I was very surprised to see how many 28" were in there (there was ever a couple of 26"). Hurleys are a very personal thing and would depend on your position on the pitch, as full forward you might be doing a bit of ground hurling, so you'd need a bit longer, in midfield/half backs it'd be more out of the hand so bit shorter so you won't be hooked.

Sorry now Clareman, but are you serious. 28" and 26" hurleys?? For adult hurlers?? I don't believe for one second that intercounty hurlers use hurleys that small. You must of been seeing things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have to say I was very surprised, I always used at least a 32, but a lot of hurleys now are more like wooden spoons than the hurleys I used to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

WTF... my eight year old son uses at 28"... am I missing something here?

Clareman wrote: »
    I have to say I was very surprised, I always used at least a 32, but a lot of hurleys now are more like wooden spoons than the hurleys I used to use
    Christ, i'll take your word for it, after all, you were there, i wasn't.
    I am coaching a minor team this evening, i will do a quick survey and get back to you. I am 6.1 and i always used a 35 until last year, moved to a 34", but to think fellas are using a 28 or 26, madness. They will seriously struggle for distance with those hurleys, i have access to 28" and 26" hurleys, and i know i can only swing them with one hand and when i use 2 hands, the ball never goes over 40 yards.
    Maybe thats why Clare are struggling in the doldrums of Division 2 :P

Only one of the Kilkenny senior hurlers now uses a 37 inch long hurl, Henry Shefflin. As the game has changed so has the kind of hurley, shorter with a bigger bas (hitting area). Kilkenny hurls have always been known for their lightness and balance.

Taken from:
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/lifestyle/entertainment/bringing_the_ash_to_life_1_2161679

Shefflin is listed as 6ft 2 here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Shefflin

• Advertisement

I'll try to get a picture the next time I spot them, don't forget a lot of the Clare lads wouldn't be the biggest in the world.

I'll try to get a picture the next time I spot them

U14Champs2008.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

pudzey101 wrote: »
    What size hurley should i use? im about 5'7-5'8? Any Help Greatley appreciated
    david.

Liz Hurley is 5' 8", so as long as she's not wearing heels you should be fine.

More food for thought here -
    This year Stephen Lucey, the 6ft 2 in full back
    from Limerick changed from a 36” hurley to a 34” hurley as he felt that he could quicken his stroke with
    the shorter hurley
    To assess the correct length, a child should stand straight, hands by side, shoulders square, place the hurley (bas on the ground) by child’s side, grasp the hurley in the dominant hand, the distance from tip of bas to child’s hand position is the correct length for that child. If the child can use the hurley like a sword with one hand, it is about the right weight. It is agreed now that most of the trouble with the unorthodox grip comes from starting with hurleys that are too long and too heavy.

http://www.corkgaagamesdevelopment.ie/articles-and-resources/details/tips-on-coaching-the-hurling-basics

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Quite a general statement there.
    I suppose that's why different opinions are so important. My opinion on this, like everything else in life is, take on as much information as possible, and with that you make up your own mind as to what is right and what is wrong.

Thats a good way to be - but the statement referred more to kids and those starting out
    mrmorgan wrote: »
    and are you a coach worth their salt. i very much doubt that somehow.

Yeah, seems that I am really, coaching an intercounty development squad so I think I could be considered one!

My comment would prob refer more to children more than adults, as the poster above has quoted from the cork games development site. I've seen first hand children coming for trials with hurleys that are too big, and the wrong grip. When they are starting out, they'll grip the hurley down from the top of it, and put their catching hand above the hurley hand when going to strike. The wrong grip can lead to problems down the line, and kids don't progress as well as they have the potential to. As they grow, their striking of the ball will stay the same rather than progress like the other kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Thats a good way to be - but the statement referred more to kids and those starting out

Yeah, seems that I am really, coaching an intercounty development squad so I think I could be considered one!

My comment would prob refer more to children more than adults, as the poster above has quoted from the cork games development site. I've seen first hand children coming for trials with hurleys that are too big, and the wrong grip. When they are starting out, they'll grip the hurley down from the top of it, and put their catching hand above the hurley hand when going to strike. The wrong grip can lead to problems down the line, and kids don't progress as well as they have the potential to. As they grow, their striking of the ball will stay the same rather than progress like the other kids.

just because you train an intercounty development squad you regard yourself as a "Coach worth their salt".

some coaches have no idea what they are doing and this is where most counties go wrong underage and it works out bad in the longrun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

mrmorgan wrote: »
    just because you train an intercounty development squad you regard yourself as a "Coach worth their salt".

some coaches have no idea what they are doing and this is where most counties go wrong underage and it works out bad in the longrun.

If you have something constructive to say, then say it. If you're just looking to attack other posters, then I've no problem banning you. Consider this a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭looseygoosey

A lot of the weaker hurling teams use smaller 32-34 hurls with bigger boss

But as the quality of hurling increases, players on the tipperary team use longer hurls that have a better swing and more balance, they are harder to use as far as the modern game is concerned. But the skill of these players negates this and so they get the best of both worlds which means they can strike the ball off the ground well and get better distance.

Remember shefflin uses a 37" and so did shanahan use a 37"

A lot of the weaker hurling teams use smaller 32-34 hurls with bigger boss

But as the quality of hurling increases, players on the tipperary team use longer hurls that have a better swing and more balance, they are harder to use as far as the modern game is concerned. But the skill of these players negates this and so they get the best of both worlds which means they can strike the ball off the ground well and get better distance.

Remember shefflin uses a 37" and so did shanahan use a 37"

in fairness, they are two big men.

Joe Deane used to use a 32" hurley, as did Seanie McGrath back in the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭bren2001

I dont think its fair to say a more skillful hurler uses a larger hurl. Shefflin and co. are of an older passing generation where big hurls where almost a statement of your masculinity. However, nowadays, certainly for my generation, that has passed and people are picking hurls based on comfort. Theres no doubt that a small hurl is better for in the air. Thats what the modern game has become, ground hurling is almost extinct. A lot of the younger players coming through have small hurls now, I know on the younger Dublin teams e.g. U21 they do. It was drilled into us at Dublin training.

Well Clareman, forgot to get back to you last night regarding the size of the Hurleys used by a minor team.
    Not one player used anything smaller than a 32", and there are a few wee lads on the team. Most of them were using 33" and 34" hurleys.
    And these players would be fairly decent.
    Still don't believe adult players are using 28-26" hurleys. I think your trying to pull a fast one Clareman, you must be hoping the Tipp players see this thread and on Sunday ye will all come out with 37" hurleys and tipp won't know whats happening...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

I'm 5'9" and used a 36 from minor level on. I stuck with 34s longer than most lads my age, on the quicker swing theory, but when I switched I found the 36 a definite improvement overall. Being mainly a wing back, the longer reach and (potentially) longer delivery was probably of more benefit. You can always shorten your grip in a tight situation.

Mind you, I generally used hurls that other fellas considered on the heavy side as well.

I would suggest using whatever feels right. Lads have different styles and physiques, so while the "rules of thumb" suggested in this thread may be a useful starting point, I wouldn't see them as strict guidelines to be adhered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭looseygoosey

i Play minor and am 5ft 10 and use a 35" hurl its also fairly weighty, but if you practise enough with them and build up the power in your wrist a larger hurl becomes more of an asset to you than a small wafer wooden spoon.

I played with a 32 the other day and couldnt believe how small it was , swing was woefull bad .

Yes pulling on the ground is almost extinct, but i believe in high intensity matches like kilkenny and tipp last year you saw more pulling than in the whole of the championship. Also if you are to become a good forward you will need a hurl that is shaped well enough and have good balance so you can hit a ball to the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 limerick1887

I am 5'5 what size hurley should I use

a small one
    measure it as far as your wrist bone

imageysfh.jpg

Seamus Callinan of Tipp is 6ft 4" uses a 34"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭dzer2

32 or 33 inch depending on the make it should be and inch shorter than from your hip to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 limerick1887

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    a small one
    measure it as far as your wrist bone

imageysfh.jpg

Seamus Callinan of Tipp is 6ft 4" uses a 34"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

A 6ft 4 man would usually use a 36'' hurley I think niceguy was just making the point that your height doesn't necessarily dictate the the size of hurley you should use its what you are comfortable with,at a guess I would say a 32 or 33 would be roughly your size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

I would have thought no more than a 30inch young lads over 6ft using 32s looks strange but thats what been taught nowadays. Im 5'11 I used a 35 back in the day, we could shorten the grip and used the hurl more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tonytiles

Standing strait hands by your sides, the butt of the hurley should be level with your wrist, with the Bas of the hurley on the ground,simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

my old man used to say the size you needed was where the top of your trousers ended. as mentioned above they tended to go for a longer hurley years ago.i have the last hurley my dad used in 1976 and it's 36" long and he was 5'7" tall .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

6'4" and use a 34", all the coaches think I'm absolutely cracked with a hurl that small, but I find anything bigger too awkward with long arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cathalkk

Im 5'5 and I use a size 29, suits me perfectly, great strike and a lot easier to strike with and speeds up everything. At the end of the day, you use what is comfortable for you.

Advertisement