Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can lifting building muscle really help you lose fat weight? (At the same time)

Options
  • 12-06-2011 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

I havent been able to find anything about by searching so here goes..

You read that weight training can be beneficial for losing fat, because more muscle will boost your metabolism, helping you lose fat. But you also read that you can only add muscle when maintaining a calorie surplus, the exact opposite of what you need to do to lose fat (maintain a calorie deficit). So is there any point in lifting weights when trying to lose fat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 juice man

Most of these questions posted here are already ANSWERED online just Google it bro
    just type in `weight training for fat loss` example off what i found http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_250/295_weightlifting-for-fat-loss.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

I havent been able to find anything about by searching so here goes..

You read that weight training can be beneficial for losing fat, because more muscle will boost your metabolism, helping you lose fat. But you also read that you can only add muscle when maintaining a calorie surplus, the exact opposite of what you need to do to lose fat (maintain a calorie deficit). So is there any point in lifting weights when trying to lose fat?

The theory on most weight lifting websites is that you cant build muscle while on calorie deficit or if your not eating enough protein while on calorie surplus.
    You can try it of course. At best you'll find it hard to gain muscle.

I dont know the exact answer to your question but I would imagine that most bodybuilders for example keep lifting weights while on calorie deficit so as to ensure that they dont loose muscle along with weight.
    So if your on calorie deficit for a month and not lifting weights then you'll probably loose muscle and strength along with fat.
    But if your on calorie deficit for a month and lifting weights then in theory the bodybuilder should maintain his muscle and strength (if he eats enough protein) but loose the fat.
    Maybe someone could correct me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

So is the benefit purely because it will help maintain muscle mass that you would other wise lose from a caloric-deficit and cardio regime (Im thinking cycling to work, maybe running to work, HIIT btw). I'm not a bodybuilder btw, and have not done huge amounts of weight training before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

So is the benefit purely because it will help maintain muscle mass that you would other wise lose from a caloric-deficit and cardio regime (Im thinking cycling to work, maybe running to work, HIIT btw). I'm not a bodybuilder btw, and have not done huge amounts of weight training before.

Yeah basically I think that is the reason. If you go on caloric deficit without eating enough protein and doing weight training then you will loose muscle mass along with fat, whether your a bodybuilder or not.
    It might not be substantial muscle loss but there probably will be some. Not sure if its really something to worry about ;)
    But I mean like, if someone was built like Arnold and they stopped weight training while on calorie deficit then their muscle mass would start to decrease two weeks (approximation) or so after finishing lifting weights.
    Again, my knowledge is not great on this subject seen as I've only ever tried to gain weight so maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 PatrickMac

Sorry to bump guys. Yeah I think its the whole "use it or lose it" thing. I know you have to keep the weight and range consistent. As in you couldnt drop the weight and do higher reps and expect to maintain size without the same stimulation, especially on a defecit.

I dont know if you can build muscle effectively on a defecit. I always thought aslong as your calories feed the performance and recovery part of your metabolism, you can still be at a calorie defecit and lose fat.

Any more info on this would be great. Always wondered. I dont periodize that often so am always trying to achieve this effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

For me, I cannot lose weight and increase my strength. I find I can maintain my lifts on a low carb diet, but I can't go for a long session, I run out of puff. The difference when I add carbs is unreal, the reps go up and the time in the gym goes up.
    There are guys who can balance their diet so as to gain muscle while keeping trim, I personally cannot make it work for me it takes way too much discipline.

Advertisement