Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Question

Options
  • 12-06-2011 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

I've been reading some threads hear about the BIS service required to send/receive email etc on Blackberry phones.

I was wondering - is the 9.99 charge from meteor/vodafone to cover data transfer only, or can you simply not use the internet functionality and pay for data as you use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The blackberry addon is to cover the blackberry services. Without it, you might as well have any other handset really and use data as you fee. You can pay for it as you use it but not for the blackberry functions

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

Thanks a million for your reply. What in particular are the "blackberry functions" - their proprietary Email/Msn clients etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Email, Browser, Wifi, apps. Basically everything but calls and texts

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

Bit of a joke imo - I'll definitely be having another look at the Android range. Cheers again for the replies!

It depends on your view point. I have a Blackberry 9700 with BIS on Three for 40 euro per month on sim only. I find them better then other devices out there including iPhones and androids except for playing games and watching movies. But thats juts my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

You don't pay any more for a data plan on a Blackberry than you would with an Iphone or Android, it's just a portion of the money you pay to the network for the data plan goes to Blackberry to cover the BIS plan. Also using BIS uses less data due to the compression used, so you'll get more bang for your buck.

Well the blackberry add-on is an extra charge on some networks.
    Three charge 9.99 for BIS on all you can eat data plans
    O2 have it as a 15euro add-on or as part of the advance plans
    Meteor and emobile charge 8 euro for the BIS on a plan
    Vodafone incorporate it into a plan too or charge 15.
    All above are bill pay plans
    So it depends on the network.

The networks that do pre pay charge between 50 cent a day (vodafone) to 9.99 per month (meteor/emobile)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Well the blackberry add-on is an extra charge on some networks.
    Three charge 9.99 for BIS on all you can eat data plans
    O2 have it as a 15euro add-on or as part of the advance plans
    Meteor and emobile charge 8 euro for the BIS on a plan
    Vodafone incorporate it into a plan too or charge 15.
    All above are bill pay plans
    So it depends on the network.

The networks that do pre pay charge between 50 cent a day (vodafone) to 9.99 per month (meteor/emobile)

Meteor charge 5€ for BIS on a billpay plan
    Plus you have EDGE coverage which is plenty fast for
    Email and web browsing and your battery will last longer

Advertisement