Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from After Hours for a week.

Options
  • 12-06-2011 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have recieved a ban from After Hours for a week from dr.bollocko for being argumentitave, spoiling for a fight and ignoring mod warnings re backseat modding in the Brian Lenihan thread in After Hours which I feel is unfair and extreme.

Here is the thread;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056294349

I emailed dr.bollocko on Friday and have heard nothing back.

I did receive a mod warning, but only the one not many as dr.bollocko seemed to suggest, in a pm from g'em and I didn't post in thread after that as I'd already given my condolences. I certainly did not go out of my way to be argumentative or to derail the thread. In no way was I spoiling for a fight.

I admit I may have done some back seat moderating but I was not the only one to comment on posts I felt were not appropriate to the thread. I do apologise for this. I stopped straight away when warned my g'em.

However I feel removing my posts and banning me for a week was extreme as I did not insult or abuse anyone and heeded the warning I was given.

Any help on this matter would be gratefully received!

Thanks again,

AudreyH.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Hi Audrey,

You received a warning from me by way of a yellow card, there was then a general warning on-thread which you saw and thanked and you did post on-thread following that replying antagonistically to another poster.

You were given clear warnings which you chose to ignore. We also had to delete a fairly substantial number of your posts on the thread which further supported the decision to ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Hi g'em,

I do appreciate that some reprimand may have been in order but I honestly don't recall saying anything that would warrent a 7 day ban.

I certainly did not go out of my way to cause arguments nor was I spoiling for a fight. I don't believe I was abusive or rude to anyone.

I genuinely am sorry if you felt I deliberatly ignored your warnings because I didn't and while I may have posted after them I honestly don't believe I said anything wrong.

I was truely surprised to recieve a ban and I feel it is extreme and unfair although I accept some form of punishment may have been order.

Perhaps another CMod or and Admin could review the ban?

Thanks

AudreyH.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'll take a look at it.

While I look over things....you feel that some sort of punishment may have been merited. Given that you had already been given a yellow, and there was a general on-thread warning....what do you think would have been a reasonable punishment?

Thanks bonkey,

Yes I will accept some form of reprimand might have been in order but a week long ban just seems extreme. Perhaps a ban of 2 or 3 days?

The mods seemed to feel I was spoiling for a fight and was ignoring their warnings which I genuinely wasn't. I don't want an undeserved reputation because I really didn't go out to cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Thanks for that.

I'd like to point out that the thread in question took a lot of moderator work. In the log, I see over 90 seperate edits or deletes by moderators. Add in the cards / bans that were handed out, and lets call it an even 100 actions. There are 317 remaining posts in the thread...meaning there were probably around 400 posts total (allowing for what the mods deleted).

One in four posts required moderation.

Of the moderated posts, 9 were from you...almost double the next "worst" offender", and triple the third-worst.

I appreciate your intention, and the emotion that inevitably that comes with threads like this....but the reality is that you're only adding to their workload (and adding significantly at that) at exactly the time when they most need a break.

You did so with the best of intentions...but even after being asked (along with everyone else) to stop, you kept at it.

I have to be hoenst and say that I think a week is fair. I think its a step above the minimum handed out in AH, but its not an unreasonable ban. Given the amount of work the mods were forced to do on that thread, the warnings issued, etc. I think its justified.

Let me reiterate, however, that I appreciate your intentions. In fact, I applaud them....I don't think anyone should see your actions as "spoiling for a fight". Its just the method that was at fault. What I would ask is that next time, you limit yourself to reporting the posts and then letting the mods deal with it.

• Advertisement

Hi bonkey,

Thanks for looking into it and I accept your conclusions. I went about things the wrong way and I apologise for any trouble I caused because it wasn't the intention.

I'd just like to say again I did not intentionally ignore anyone's warning, I just wasn't thinking. I didn't even realise I'd done it till I got banned! If I had I would have deleted the post straight away.

I want to make that point clear because I don't want to be known as some-one who ignores moderators or looks for arguements, which was what the Mods seemed to feel.

I appreciate your acknowledging my true intentions because that was the main issue I had with the ban.

Once again apologies to you and the other mods for any problems caused and I hope I don't have a bad reputation among you now!

AudreyH.

Hi

My ban was supposed to be lifted today but it hasn't been. Could some-one please lift it?

Thanks !

AudreyH.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Lifted automagically at 18:00 today.

Admins, please close.

Advertisement