Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window locks opened with scissors

• 12-06-2011 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

My son has autism and he is opening our windows with a scissors or similar metal objects and climbing out them at all times of the day and disappearing. Are there any window handles out there that you can lock and not open them without the key. Our windows are relatively new and i think he shouldn't be able to open them without the key but he can. Its worrying really because something could happen to him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Understand your concern... :(
    Are your windows PVC / Aluminium / Timber???

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭loadz

PVC windows with a handle you can lock with a key and open with a scissors. Some lock that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Most windows I've come across are like that too. They aren't intended to be security locks as such, just locks to hold the handle in place. The keys are generic like radiator keys or electricity meter ones.

Failing getting all new windows put in that are specifically security windows intended for people in your situation, your best bet would be to install small bolts on the window frames that can locked with a little padlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

these would be a nice neat solution. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chubb-uPVC-Window-Lock-White/dp/B00331JJCS

Its hard to see but the curved part lifts and sit over the smaller piece which is then screwed closed with the key. Stops the window from opening outwards then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

For PVC, You might get a restrictor that you could put to the top of the sash that will allow the window to be opened a small amount (3/4 inches)
    Have you any idea who manufactured the frames?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have the same problem. However my fella although suffering the same has not discovered the sissors yet.

My brother fit restrictors to the hindges for me. Its a very simple process but i do then its against building regulations.

Having said that loosing your child out a window is far more worrying than building inspectors.

You maybe can leave the back ones free for fire regulations.

PM me and i will give you his numnber if you want to talk to him about it.

Advertisement