Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tallest man made point in Dublin?

Options
  • 12-06-2011 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Does anyone know what the tallest man made structure in Dublin is?
    I remember someone was going to build a 34 story building in HSQ.

There is the spire but that's a monument not something you can get a view from.

One of the ballymun towers is 14 stories.
    Liberty hall is the tallest building in the city right?

The UCD water tower is 15 stories. I climbed it a few times and the view is immense.

Any thoughts or pictures welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

The chimneys in Poolbeg are 208 metres tall. You'll find it hard to beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The chimneys in Poolbeg are 208 metres tall. You'll find it hard to beat that.

Eh hem, 207.3 metres to be precise !:P

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=673&searchname=timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

What heights the rte satellite thingy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

How'd you get to climb the ucd watertower?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

In terms of buildings,Liberty hall was overtaken recently by the montevetro building beside grand canal dock startion, only by a few metres. Google have bought it..

Future plans are sketchy to say the least, Harry crosbie has permission for a tower at the o2, the foundations are in but since been covered over-recession bit at the wrong time. Still think he might build it if things turn around. he was ballsy enough to build the o2,grand canal theatre, and the point village in general.

Treasury holdings at least were planning another highrise in the grand canal area after montevetro and alto vetro(the skinny apartment buidling). its to be known as aquavetro and would be the tallest of the 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I expected to read about the tallest man making a point in Dublin..... :pac:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Esel wrote: »
    I expected to read about the tallest man making a point in Dublin..... :pac:

Me too, pass the buidéal.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭denisor

This might be of use to you, but not if your planning to parachute from it!

The Gravity Bar in The Storehouse in Guiness, or the Smithfield Chimney, springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Crow92 wrote: »
    How'd you get to climb the ucd watertower?

Get a job in UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

Pretty good article in Wikipedia about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_structures_in_Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,429 ✭✭✭✭Victor

One does need to distinguish between tallest (from ground level to top of building) and highest (highest alttitude).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Victor wrote: »
    One does need to distinguish between tallest (from ground level to top of building) and highest (highest alttitude).
    Or farthest from the centre of the earth... Chimborazo beats Everest. :D

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement