Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's first year in college like?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

The duck is just getting revenge against the big bully of a swan! The swan totally started it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

Gotta remember the Swan thinks of it as his permanent turf, were just little punks passing though HIS turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

just finished my time in UCD, ah it was great! some of the girls are somethin else, oif!! A lot of people are quite shy to begin with, when you're in your first seminars they'll try make you split into groups and talk to eachother and try make friends, which doesn't always work. One night on the piss and everything's hilarious the next day and everyone's friends!
    keep an eye out for the swan and the brown duck at the lake, not the best of friends

is that good or bad;) ....

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Dbstf wrote: »
    What's first year in college like after the leaving cert and not knowing anybody there? Is it better than school? Are people friendlier?

University is a lot more like real life than school - which can be a good or bad thing depending on how you see it.

You won't know everyone, or even a fraction of the people on the campus. There isn't a clear division between 'years' or classes. Everyone you know will not be in the same clubs or subjects. Nobody will hold your hand, check your homework (lol), or generally care if you ace or fail.

In general people are friendlier, the atmosphere is way less bitchy, people are here with a purpose - and that is to get qualification for future employment (plus actually gain some skills at the same time). Social life is made by the students for the students. Even the tutoring is predominantly done by students (albeit generally post-grad students).

First year is mainly when you acclimatise to the change, scrape by in your subjects, complain about accommodation and get very drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

All first years get thrown into the lake on the first day of freshers week. It's a ritual kind of thing, sorts the tough from the rest

You don't hear about it because they don't want to scare off freshers... I just hope that swan isn't about when they do it this time round, I hear it gets pretty hungry around September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Having also just finished my first year in UCD, I really honestly gotta say it has fairly unreal.

I can't think of anything more to suggest other than what others have said - get to know people!!! Really, do your best just to acquaint yourself with people.... and as many as you can! You can do this by simply chatting to folks in the lectures/tutorials/labs/seminars, whatever!
    If you're doing a course that has quite a small class, it is true that it's easy to make friends quickly, but it's just as easy in large classes. For instance, I'm doing Science and there's 380ish of us altogether, but that really doesn't stop you from just getting to know folks... I'd say I'd know at least 75% of folks now, at least. One thing you GOTTA do is get to know your class reps. Not for getting free stuff, but simply because it's another great way to know a bunch of people, because they often end up knowing a crazy amount of folks.

Joining (and participating) in clubs and societies and stuff is also a huge thing, and when people say they're going to the SU Bar afterward practise/meeting/training for a pint, tag along! The social aspect of a society can be even more rewarding than what the society does itself, and joining in on trips away or anything is a must.
    By Christmastime, or shortly after, no matter what time of day, I couldn't walk from the shop in Merville to the Science Hub without meeting someone I know, and considering the sheer volume of people that go to UCD, seeing a friendly face so often really makes the place that much sounder!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

All first years get thrown into the lake on the first day of freshers week. It's a ritual kind of thing, sorts the tough from the rest

You don't hear about it because they don't want to scare off freshers... I just hope that swan isn't about when they do it this time round, I hear it gets pretty hungry around September.

That swan sounds dangerous lol and i hope its a sunny day xD wouldnt mind a swim (if it was true) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

My first year

Got laid alot
    some guy got a std (not me)
    Another guy shattered his knee cap
    went surfing in bundoran
    sim cards were swllowed
    the vom was projectile
    it was the most fun i've ever had!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭fabregas4cesc

the lake's not that cold u'll get over it

Advertisement