Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shopping List for School

• 12-06-2011 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi All

My child is starting school in September and I'm clueless as what he needs beside the official school uniform and books as I wasn't educated in Ireland and went home for lunch.

- do kids use lunch boxes or bags...any recommendations
    - pens and pencils and exercise books - are these supplied by the school or do I buy them and what type and where
    - school bag, where to buy a good one that won't do any back damage
    - any thing else I may have forgotten

Last, does any one know if the lunches offered by the City Council are any good. We have the option of subscribing to them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Usually the school gives a list of what you will need.
    A school bag without a featured character is a good choice, otherwise half way through the year someone may tell your child that Dora/Ben ten is for babies and suddenly, you may find your child looks for a new bag.

A lunch bag is a good idea, then if anything leaks it won't be all over the school books. A bottle for drinks that is non-spill and that your child can open and close. Ditto for the lunch box.

Label everything ,down to the very last pencil or you will be broke from replacing them, likewise, ties, jumpers, coats.

I'd contact the school and ask them if there is a list of things you should get. If there isn't, I'd just get some triangular pencils(easier to grip),colouring pencils (NOT markers!!!) and a rubber or two, for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭happydayz8

thanks byhookorbycrook. Good thinking on the character bag! The school did give me a list of what is included in the 60 EUR I already paid for Photocopying, Arts&Crafts, Subject Money, Computer Consubables??? and Stationery but no idea if pencils and stuff are included in that.

What kind of lunch box is best, just tuperware or is there some particular brand that is good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved to Primary & Pre school

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Can't say what you'd find best, maybe see what he finds easiest to open at home. Avoid those sports bottles, they leak like mad!!

Check what "stationery" includes. Our infant teachers buy pencils,crayons copies etc, makes it easier all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

From a books point of view shop around. You can get the books cheaper online that in Eason or your local bookshop. There's a few sites that do the books and even wrap them free if you order them in July. Schoolbooks.ie is the one I've used most but there are others.

I'm not familiar with the City Council lunches you mention. I know that some schools in certain areas get free lunch but no idea what they are like. If your school has it and your child is eligible then you may not need to worry about a lunchbag at all. Some teachers here hopefully will have more info.

As for schoolbag ... in primary most books are left in school anyway so back problems are not an issue. Just get a cheap backpack that has an outside pocket for the drinks bottle (just in case). Lidl and Aldi usually do some in August that are fine for young children.

As for sports bottles - we must have been lucky - the ones we've had have been leakfree apart from one which was spotted before use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement