Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Broadband in the Grange

• 12-06-2011 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey Everyone

I recently moved in to the Grange apartments in Stillorgan. The person that lives there already has broadband, but doesn't have a wireless router. She just connects an ethernet cable from the wall socket straight into her laptop. I can do the same in my room, but I was wondering if I can use any old wireless router my brother has spare at home? He has a couple of different types.

I'm not really sure how it works. I've never had a router that you don't plug a phone cable into. Is there a different type of wifi router that takes the signal through an ethernet cable?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a novice (to say the least!).

Any help would be greatly accepted!

E1

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

not a dsl router, a wireless router with ethernet out the back instead of dsl. BTW how much does NAMA charge on rent in that place every month???? I have a young lad starting in UCD this year. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

When the ethernet cable is used straight from the wall socket to the laptop, does it work immediately? Or do you need to change settings in Internet Explorer or Firefox to get it working? Also, I thought magnet broadband supplied every apartment with their own wireless router to connect to e.g. fibre optic cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Ethics11

Got sorted lads, thanks. Yeah, the ethernet cable works connecting it straight to the laptop without changing any settings.

NAMA charges €600 a month!

Advertisement