Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving - need zero downtime

• 12-06-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭

I am currently a Vodafone broadband user and pretty happy with the quality and reliability of my service. I work from home and cannot make money without broadband. I am moving house in a few weeks and just trying to figure out if I should order a new service from Eircom or Vodaphone or have my existing service transferred. I just do not have the luxury of waiting any length of time for the service to be up and running at my new home after I move. I need it running the day I move in. I have a backup 3G option but this is really not ideal and UPC is not available where I am moving.

So what would you recommend I do to guarantee I have broadband working the day I move into the new house?

Do I transfer my existing Vodafone service?
    Do I order a new Vodafone service (will they let me do this)?
    Do I just order a new Eircom service?
    Note: The current tenants in the house use Eircom and will be terminating this when they move.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I would say that you ask the current tenants about the quality of the connection first before making any decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Big Lar wrote: »
    I would say that you ask the current tenants about the quality of the connection first before making any decision.

Current tenant is very happy with eircom service.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

what type of work? heavy bandwidth video distribution? or light bandwidth, VoIP & Emails? maybe you could pay the current tenants to keep the service up and running for another month? this would mean moving to eircom to have no downtime as all they have to do is switch the broadband to another account, whereas vodafone will have to transfer the line to there network, I'm pretty stumped actually :/

what type of work? heavy bandwidth video distribution? or light bandwidth, VoIP & Emails? maybe you could pay the current tenants to keep the service up and running for another month? this would mean moving to eircom to have no downtime as all they have to do is switch the broadband to another account, whereas vodafone will have to transfer the line to there network, I'm pretty stumped actually :/

3Mbit if plenty for me. I use VOIP and thin client (Citrix) so usage is really light. I really only care that it is really reliable and that latency to the international systems I connect to is constant and low. Vodafone routers reboot once a day renewing the IP which was really annoying but fixed this with getting a static from them.

A neighbour of mine tried getting Vodafone connected to a house that previously had Eircom and had all sorts of problems. They ended up having to cancel the vodafone order and reordering with Eircom resulting in about 2 months of no internet. Therefore I am thinking that changing providers to Eircom might be my best choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

Eircom do a fixed IP aswell :)

• Advertisement

just following up on this. Ended up just doing a name change on the existing eircom account at the new address (worked with old tenants on doing this) and had a seamless transition. All worked out well. Vodafone also waived any cancellation charges which was nice of them.

Advertisement