Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good place to live in Northern Sydney??

Options
  • 12-06-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi guys

I am arriving in Sydney this week and am trying to do some last minute organising before I get there. I am pretty certain of a job in the Northern Subarbs in Sydney and am looking at living somewhere in this area also. Can anyone recommend a nice area to live around here? I would like to be near the beach if possible. I am a solo female traveller in my mid 20s and would like to live with others of the same age.

Any recommendations on areas or even websites for finding housemates would be great...thanks guys!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Northern beaches is a large place, but Neutral bay, cremorne and mosman are pretty nice places with good social scene (cafes, resturants pubs etc) and pretty close to city and a nice beach too

Further north is Manly, a big beach area lots of backpackers and locals etc, very good social life - downside is distance to city and traffic getting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

I live in Cremorne which is a lovely area. Its near Balmoral Beach which is really nice. As Hussey said, nice cafes, restaurants and bars. 10 mins on a bus from the city. Theres also a good transport system to the city and the rest of the North Shore. Do you know which part of the Northern Shores your job is in?

Gumtree, domain.com.au and realestate.com.au are good for getting places.

Manly is lovely but I wouldnt recommend it to live in it unless you have a car. 50$ a pop to get a taxi home from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LittleT

My job is in Brook Vale which seems to be a little north of Manly. However I would rather spend a little extra time on the bus in the mornings getting to work and having better accessibility to the city. I'll have a look at Cremore straight away

LittleT wrote: »
    My job is in Brook Vale which seems to be a little north of Manly. However I would rather spend a little extra time on the bus in the mornings getting to work and having better accessibility to the city. I'll have a look at Cremore straight away

Cremorne -> Brookvale is hell of a commute - spit bridge is horrible in traffic

How long of a commute would I be looking at on average?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

LittleT wrote: »
    How long of a commute would I be looking at on average?

i work in Brookvale and commute from Neutral Bay (next to Cremorne). trip on the bus in the morning is grand if you get one of the 'L' - Limited Stop buses that go from Neutral Bay junction stop, takes about 20 mins to Warringah Mall stop.

ambasite wrote: »
    i work in Brookvale and commute from Neutral Bay (next to Cremorne). trip on the bus in the morning is grand if you get one of the 'L' - Limited Stop buses that go from Neutral Bay junction stop, takes about 20 mins to Warringah Mall stop.

Looks like I am wrong, I used to (ages ago) spend 40mins on buses, but that was long before the 'L' bus

please take ambasite's advice :o

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

I drive every day from Cremorne to Narrabeen which is further North, it takes about 30 mins. The traffic isnt too bad driving North, its going in the opposite direction thats brutal. Best of luck finding a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Cremorne is lovely, definitely start you search there. We were there for 6 months on a short term lease, and are close enough in Cammeray now, its all quite leafy!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

hussey wrote: »
    Cremorne -> Brookvale is hell of a commute - spit bridge is horrible in traffic

Wouldn't she be going against the traffic?

• Advertisement

yes I'll be going against the traffic as I'll be heading out past manly. I went out there yesterday on the L bus and it seems grand. Still on the hunt for somewhere to live, ideally I would like a house share with at least two others. just to get to know a few people because I came out here by myself! Fingers crossed something will turn up soon

Advertisement