Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedgerow Roses

Options
  • 12-06-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hello all,
    I am looking for suggestions as to what to plant in an existing stone wall hedgerow at the front of our house. It is about 90 meters long with some well established trees. We will be doing a little bit of a tidy up but other than that leaving it as it is.
    What I would like to do is plant some wild rambling roses or other flowering ramblers to give it some colour in the spring and summer. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also if you can suggest a plant can you also tell when is the right time to plant it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Irish Dog rose. Native rose species and perfectly adapted to Irish enviroment. No need to spray it like domestic varieties. You get beautiful pink/red blossoms at this time of year and the fruit (rose hips) can be made into jam. Best planted in spring. Will grow through your existing hedge. Excellent for wildlife.

Common Honeysuckle is another native climber that is great running through hedge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Mindme

Passion flower will also weave it's way along hedges if south facing. Lovely flowers and fruit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Thanks for the suggestions, are the dog roses available in Garden enters or do I try to take clippings from existing ones

Advertisement