Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating LC Maths in 2012 - a quick question

• 12-06-2011 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭

Will someone who decides to repeat LC Maths (ordinary level) next June have to do the new project Maths or the old course?

Thanks.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow in all levels.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Next year is all Project Maths I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

In 2012, you'd be doing phase 1 of Project Maths (two of five new strands).

Unless you go to one of the pilot schools, in which case you'd be doing phase 3, which is all 5 strands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

Thanks for the replies.

It's not me that would be repeating Maths next year, (it's my son). I did HL Maths way back in 1979 :eek:

He needs to pass OL Maths for a course and I've been desperately trying to teach him maths in 2 weeks (virtually a mission impossible).

So if he did repeat Maths in 2012, would some of the course would be the new Project Maths and some of the course be the old one?

Apologies if these questions seem silly but I'm desperately trying to figure it out. The joys of being a parent!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

mystic wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

It's not me that would be repeating Maths next year, (it's my son). I did HL Maths way back in 1979 :eek:

He needs to pass OL Maths for a course and I've been desperately trying to teach him maths in 2 weeks (virtually a mission impossible).

So if he did repeat Maths in 2012, would some of the course would be the new Project Maths and some of the course be the old one?

Apologies if these questions seem silly but I'm desperately trying to figure it out. The joys of being a parent!!

I am not 100% sure on this but I think next year Paper 1 will be the same and Paper 2 will be project maths. I could be wrong however!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Thanks for the replies.

i DON'T want to be attacked here but if i can quote a teacher in my school.

:" Pass Project maths is an insult to maths, how easy it is, how they've changed it, everything ".

If he has to repeat OL next year and do Project Maths then i don't believe it's going to be the end of the world. Some things are the same but more things have apparently tried to been made real life scenarios or something.

I feel bad for a guy in my year who needed a better maths grade for entry requirement. Got close to 500 points but Maths let him down and he's doing higher. So he feels that paper on Friday could have cost him a college place.

Hope your son passes tomorrow and doesn't need to repeat regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

SDTimeout wrote: »
    i DON'T want to be attacked here but if i can quote a teacher in my school.

:" Pass Project maths is an insult to maths, how easy it is, how they've changed it, everything ".

If he has to repeat OL next year and do Project Maths then i don't believe it's going to be the end of the world. Some things are the same but more things have apparently tried to been made real life scenarios or something.

I feel bad for a guy in my year who needed a better maths grade for entry requirement. Got close to 500 points but Maths let him down and he's doing higher. So he feels that paper on Friday could have cost him a college place.
    Hope your son passes tomorrow and doesn't need to repeat regardless.

Thanks for that. regarding the BIB, hopefully your friend will get the grade he requires. The LC can be so demoralising and soul destroying, for both students and parents alike. I reckon that the SEC will have to do something regarding the marking scheme for last Friday's HL paper. Although that's little comfort to the students who were physchologically affected after last Friday.

O/T - when I went to college (Science in TCD), the number of people who dropped out after the first term was quite significant. From what my older kids tell me, that still happens. It's such a shame that 'unsuitable' students take up places and drop out after a few weeks......rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

There should be some means of getting into CAO courses by interviews , work placements , experience etc to cope with the demands of points. Media etc for me is quite high but i already do a radio show once a week, can talk very well and have a good personality ( he said on a message board ).

anyway, off to bed before maths tomorrow. best of luck again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

and what exactly is project maths?

they bring in all the good stuff after ya leave, Irish being optional is soon to be in place to I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Thanks for that. regarding the BIB, hopefully your friend will get the grade he requires. The LC can be so demoralising and soul destroying, for both students and parents alike. I reckon that the SEC will have to do something regarding the marking scheme for last Friday's HL paper. Although that's little comfort to the students who were physchologically affected after last Friday.

O/T - when I went to college (Science in TCD), the number of people who dropped out after the first term was quite significant. From what my older kids tell me, that still happens. It's such a shame that 'unsuitable' students take up places and drop out after a few weeks......rant over!

Definitely still happens. I'm going into second year maths in TCD, at least one guy has already dropped out, lots more considering changing course, and theres only like 30-40 in the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I'm doing LC OL maths in 2012 and Paper 1 is the old course but Paper 2 is mostly Project Maths. (i.e Section 1 is area and volume (old course) but Sections 2 and 3 are Project Maths => Statistics, Probability, Co-ordinate Geometry, Geometry, Trigonometry). We use Concise Maths 3 (old course) for Paper 1 and Section 1 of Paper 2. We use Concise Maths 3: PROJECT MATHS SUPPLEMENT for the rest of Paper 2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement