Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new farmer

• 12-06-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43

im after renting 24 acres off a family member for 5 years to start farming and get my herd number, few things im wondering about?

1. SFP hasnt been claimed on this any years can it still be got?
    2. is there much into joining the aeos scheme?
    3. are there any grants available for starting out as the land needs some drainage, scrub removed, fencing and a general tidy up and funds are fairly limited at the moment!
    4. am i mad to even try?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

would have been an idea to post these questions before you leased the land!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

funny man wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 shot_ov_a

funny man wrote: »

ur probly rite :D
    LivInt20 wrote: »

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

If you're a new entrant to farming, and meet certain other critera you might be able to apply to the national reserve. but not till next srping now.

Details of this year's application criteria
    http://agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/singlepaymentsscheme/2011/2011NationalReserveAppForm.doc

Fill in a form, but the closing date has passed, and it's not going to be re-opened next year.

3. are there any grants available for starting out as the land needs some drainage, scrub removed, fencing and a general tidy up and funds are fairly limited at the moment!

Not much at the moment, there's nothing left in the kitty.

4. am i mad to even try?

Pretty much, but what farmer isnt?

JohnBoy wrote: »

If you're a new entrant to farming, and meet certain other critera you might be able to apply to the national reserve. but not till next srping now.

Details of this year's application criteria
    http://agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/singlepaymentsscheme/2011/2011NationalReserveAppForm.doc

Fill in a form, but the closing date has passed, and it's not going to be re-opened next year.

Not much at the moment, there's nothing left in the kitty.

4. am i mad to even try?

Pretty much, but what farmer isnt?

cheers thanks for that knew the sfp for this year wos over alrite! just lookin for the future! didnt know aeos wosnt goin to be ran next year :mad: thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

get an advisor. I prefer a private lad rather than Teagasc, for teh reason that Teagasc personnel change on a regular basis and the person you deal with this year, may not be the person you need next year.

If you are in Cork/Tipp.Waterford, PM me and I'll give you the name of the lad I use. I dont want to name him publicly as I might get a ban.

ravima wrote: »
    get an advisor. I prefer a private lad rather than Teagasc, for teh reason that Teagasc personnel change on a regular basis and the person you deal with this year, may not be the person you need next year.

If you are in Cork/Tipp.Waterford, PM me and I'll give you the name of the lad I use. I dont want to name him publicly as I might get a ban.

cheers im in the leitrim longford area... just got a number for a local lad today gona ring him 2moro and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

i deal with a lad in longford town, he very good also. pm me if interested, as for being mad, not at all.

your disadvantaged areas payment will get you round 650 euro a year for it. throw it in aeos and try to keep costs down and ya never know. you might turn a few pound.

what are u thinking of doing. fattening few cattle or sucklers.

TUBBY wrote: »
    i deal with a lad in longford town, he very good also. pm me if interested, as for being mad, not at all.

your disadvantaged areas payment will get you round 650 euro a year for it. throw it in aeos and try to keep costs down and ya never know. you might turn a few pound.

what are u thinking of doing. fattening few cattle or sucklers.

il pm you now, yea il try that and see wot happens, can i sign up for aeos next year do you know?? just fattening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

you can join the disadvantaged area scheme defo once you have a herd number. chat your advisor and see how to go about it. Like the lads said, you may even qualify for the natinoal reserve.

As far as fattening goes, at least ya have few good marts for stores around ya with mohill and granard for weanlings.

whole thing with fattening is when ya buy I reckon. If you pay dear, you are on a loser straight away. Any fool can buy the dearest bullock in the mart. its seeing the value thats the hard one.
    Factory prices would have to be huge in back end and next year to account for the money given for stores this spring. Along with that, keep input costs down with fertilizer, meal etc.

• Advertisement

TUBBY wrote: »
    you can join the disadvantaged area scheme defo once you have a herd number. chat your advisor and see how to go about it. Like the lads said, you may even qualify for the natinoal reserve.

As far as fattening goes, at least ya have few good marts for stores around ya with mohill and granard for weanlings.

whole thing with fattening is when ya buy I reckon. If you pay dear, you are on a loser straight away. Any fool can buy the dearest bullock in the mart. its seeing the value thats the hard one.
    Factory prices would have to be huge in back end and next year to account for the money given for stores this spring. Along with that, keep input costs down with fertilizer, meal etc.

il have a chat and see wot he comes up with, yea il be just buying afew stores and feeding them on for beef all going well, the father is a butcher so he does have a fair idea wot cattle are worth, and if they finish up all rite he wil buy and slaughter them from me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

shot_ov_a wrote: »
    cheers im in the leitrim longford area... just got a number for a local lad today gona ring him 2moro and see

Leitrim/Longford? Looks like I have a new neighbour! :D We use a good man over near Carrick, been with him for 10 years and has not put a foot wrong.
    Always suggests stuff that would suit our land and farming practice rather than just showing us what we can do with a farm our side. So, in essence, the personal touch.

Advertisement