Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to a game in 2011?

• 12-06-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭

I saw a similar thread for the 2010 season so thought I'd start one for this season.

So, is anyone booked to go to any games this season?

I'm in New York in July and just got tickets for the Yankees v Orioles game, it's my first MLB game and can't wait!

Not a Yankees fan, but a game is a game.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Benimar wrote: »
    I saw a similar thread for the 2010 season so thought I'd start one for this season.

So, is anyone booked to go to any games this season?

I'm in New York in July and just got tickets for the Yankees v Orioles game, it's my first MLB game and can't wait!

Not a Yankees fan, but a game is a game.

I've already made my annual trip to the Mets this year. This year I saw 3 games against the Nats and was supposed to see 2 against the Rockies but one was rained out so I only saw 1.

I normally go in May but as the Mets were going to be out of it early this year I went to the home opener weekend but as Citifield is out on the bay in Flushing, it's bloody freezing there in April so I won't be going that early in the season again! Baseball's supposed to be watched in the sun with a cold beer, not while wearing a wolly hat and gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I'm in NYC at the moment so going to the Yankees - Rangers on Tuesday night. Would like to go to more games but I got tons on, I have already been to this incarnation of Yankee stadium and I aint a Yankees fans (but as you say a game is a game). Looks like a good pitching matchup anyway with Sabathia v Oganda...

I'm flying back from Philly in 2 weeks so going to Phillies v Oakland that day. Looking forward to that as Citizens Bank Park is a new ballpark for me. Just hoping there aint rain that day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

I am a Yankees fan and I'm in NY for the summer so I'm going to try and get to a game for sure. Don't really mind who against, might even go see the Mets instead - as you say a game is a game.

Coeus wrote: »
    Yankees - Rangers on Tuesday night.
    Was at the game last night, and was greeted by a rain delay. My second rain delay at Yankee stadium out of 2 visits. First time was over 5 hours wait so the 40 odd mins last night was not too bad. It felt cold sat in the stands and the commentators (on radio) were saying that it was very un-summer like for mid-June.

As for the game itself, the Yankees ran riot on the Rangers pitching so Sabathia only needed to be solid to get the win.

Not impressed by the beer prices though. $12 for a large Stella, I dont drink american lite beers but it was still $11 for a large one of them. Last year, Citi Field and Fenway were cheaper for having a few beers...

Not impressed by the beer prices though. $12 for a large Stella, I dont drink american lite beers but it was still $11 for a large one of them. Last year, Citi Field and Fenway were cheaper for having a few beers...

They have to pay for A-Rod's salary somehow.....

$7.50/$8.50 at CitiField for beer if my memory serves me right.

• Advertisement

They have to pay for A-Rod's salary somehow.....

$7.50/$8.50 at CitiField for beer if my memory serves me right.
    Yea, that is a whale of a salary if ever there was :rolleyes:

I paid $8.50 at Citi but that was for the better stuff they had. At Fenway they were $7.75...

I'm hoping its cheaper at the Phillies next week. It's a day game aswell so will probably be hot so I'm bound to be thirsty :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Yea, that is a whale of a salary if ever there was :rolleyes:

I paid $8.50 at Citi but that was for the better stuff they had. At Fenway they were $7.75...

I'm hoping its cheaper at the Phillies next week. It's a day game aswell so will probably be hot so I'm bound to be thirsty :P

You'll be alright. Not sure how familiar you are with the city but I used to live in Philly and spent about 5 days there this month so any tips you need on the city let me know. Do you know who you're going to see pitch yet?

8-10 wrote: »
    You'll be alright. Not sure how familiar you are with the city but I used to live in Philly and spent about 5 days there this month so any tips you need on the city let me know. Do you know who you're going to see pitch yet?
    I was in Philly a few years back for a couple of days, happened to be during the World Series but obviously couldn't get tickets.

Looking at the probable pitchers for the week, Halladay is pitching Tuesday night so if the Phillies keep their rotation on regular rest then he'll be Sundays starter :cool: Josh Outman is Tuesday starter for the Athletics...

Looking forward to it, just hoping their isn't a rain delay as I fly home that night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Tomorrow. Everett Aquasox against the Eugene Emeralds.

http://aquasox.rtrk.com/

Its fun. They're a SingleA minor league team based about 30 mins north of Seattle. (Normaly we go to Mariners games.)

Real small town america baseball.

Looking at the probable pitchers for the week, Halladay is pitching Tuesday night so if the Phillies keep their rotation on regular rest then he'll be Sundays starter :cool: Josh Outman is Tuesday starter for the Athletics...

Looking forward to it, just hoping their isn't a rain delay as I fly home that night...
    I attended the game and can confirm the beer prices are the cheapest I have seen at a MLB park. $6.25 for American Lite beers and $7.50 for Premium beers.

Didnt get the chance for many as Halladay dominated and finished off the A's in just over 2 hours...

• Advertisement

Mets v Phillies July 15th. Think this the only game of the series I'll get to as the gf is not a baseball fan at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Capri86

Mets v Phillies July 15th. Think this the only game of the series I'll get to as the gf is not a baseball fan at all.

Neither was my gf but I took her to a Mets game in Citifield last year and she just loved it. The atmosphere is great, especially if it's a home team win. Been a Mets fan for a long time now and seen a good few games back in Shea Stadium but Citifield is excellent too.
    Unfortunatley didn't get over this year though..

Capri86 wrote: »
    Neither was my gf but I took her to a Mets game in Citifield last year and she just loved it. The atmosphere is great, especially if it's a home team win. Been a Mets fan for a long time now and seen a good few games back in Shea Stadium but Citifield is excellent too.
    Unfortunatley didn't get over this year though..

Yeah I've heard good things about Citifield but unfortunately didn't even make the game on the 15th. Pity, but the gf has already agreed to come to a game with me when I'm back for the playoffs in October (hoping I get to Boston and Philly).

We were at Safeco Field Seattle last friday watching the Mariners getting beaten once again by The Rangers.

The Mariners have had a humiliating slide from being two games out of the lead in the division to being well below 500 now.

but the gf has already agreed to come to a game with me when I'm back for the playoffs in October (hoping I get to Boston and Philly).

Confidant huh?

:P

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Confidant huh?

:P

Well I'll be over there anyway, used to live in Boston and Philly so know both well, and my gf lives in NY which is between both cities and I'll be visiting her regardless. I'm confident that a team from one of these towns will get to the postseason. Very confident. I mean it's nearly impossible for neither of Phillies or Red Sox to get out of their divisions, and if Sox don't, Yankees should.

We were at Safeco Field Seattle last friday watching the Mariners getting beaten once again by The Rangers.

The Mariners have had a humiliating slide from being two games out of the lead in the division to being well below 500 now.

Try being a Mets fan... They are currently .500 but they are yo-yoing around that spot for ages. Anyway the NL East may as well end where it is now as I don't think anyone will catch the Phillies.

Besides seeing the Mets I went to a Giants V Rangers game at AT&T park San Francisco. I would say it's probably the nicest ballpark out there.

Would like to see the Mariners though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I'll be in Boston when the Red Sox are playing the oakland Athletics. Should I be able to get tickets on the day or would I want to buy in advance? and were would be the best place to sit in the stadium which would be reasonably priced?

Thanks

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    I'll be in Boston when the Red Sox are playing the oakland Athletics. Should I be able to get tickets on the day or would I want to buy in advance? and were would be the best place to sit in the stadium which would be reasonably priced?

Thanks

Definitely before hand, especially for a Red Sox game. Good seats tend to sell out fast. You would be able to get them on the day too but for half decent tickets book early. Some seats in Fenway have limited viewing too.

I find the best place to sit is anywhere behind home plate or slightly to either side. To get seats low down will cost a lot more but you'l find being high up wont be too much of a problem. You can pay 30-50 dollars for pretty decent seats

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ticketing/seating_pricing.jsp

You'l see section 22 in the blue grandstand will cost about 55. But they would be very good seats

Thanks for the reply, do the tickets tend to sell out fairly fast?, I've been trying to get 4 tickets together and the only option is the standing room.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply, do the tickets tend to sell out fairly fast?, I've been trying to get 4 tickets together and the only option is the standing room.

They can do, depends on the game. I wouldn't have thought the A's game would be as quick but Boston will go to any game. If you can't get tickets you could try the website stubhub. You might need an american address to send the tickets to though.

Failing all that you could get standing tickets for very cheap and show up on the day. You will always get guys selling them at the gate, you might find a good price.

Thanks
    I was at a game last year against the Royals so similar opposition to Athletics in that they are non-division rival. I bought 2 tickets on the Red Sox website a couple of days after the went on sale for that game.

The tickets (at $30 a piece) were in section 10 and the seats had a slight obstructed view of the pitchers mound but it fine as we were far enough back in the stand. There are alot of obstructed view seats in the Grandstand so if you are buying tickets before the game you could do worse than check out the following website:
    http://www.preciseseating.com/fenwaypark2.php

It will give you the view from the seat you have a ticket for.

Thanks for the help, think were going to do the tour and then just get standing tickets. Any Sox fans be able to tell me which would be the best standing room out of, Coke Deck standing room, Lower level outfield or Pavilion level infield?

Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Dunnie1982

I was in Maryland in June & had a choice of seeing the Washington Nationals or the Baltimore Orioles play. I chose the Orioles & saw them play Oakland, which the Orioles won 4-0. I really enjoyed it, I knew a small bit about baseball (the rules etc.) before going to it. We went in early & our seats were the second row at 1st base & I even caught a ball during batting practice. Even though it was only 2/3 full the atmosphere in Camden Yards was amazing & I had some great talks with locals who were very friendly & explained a few things to me which I was unsure of. I'll definitely go to another game when I'm in America again. Since I got ESPN the other day I've been watching a few games & really enjoyed Oakland at the Yankees tonight.

Yup, once you understand the rules and regs it just gets better. Americans are obsessed with stats and baseball is no different. Games getting very interesting when you start to understand all that. I love it all! :D

Capri86 wrote: »
    Would like to see the Mariners though!

*sigh*

This year is the 10th anniversary of the Mariners beating the 1922 record of 116 Wins ins a season. I was at the game where they broke the record. It was also the first game after baseball had been shuit down after the 9/11 attacks so it as an incredibly emotional game. You can imagine.

This year. Right now, the mariners are on course to make the top 10 losing streaks in the major leagues.

15 in a row so far. Just got swept by the red sox and now a series against the yankees..

I give up...

:mad: :( :mad: :(

*sigh*

This year is the 10th anniversary of the Mariners beating the 1922 record of 116 Wins ins a season. I was at the game where they broke the record. It was also the first game after baseball had been shuit down after the 9/11 attacks so it as an incredibly emotional game. You can imagine.

This year. Right now, the mariners are on course to make the top 10 losing streaks in the major leagues.

15 in a row so far. Just got swept by the red sox and now a series against the yankees..

I give up...

:mad: :( :mad: :(

That must have been some game.

Red Sox have been on fire lately. It's always good to see imo, as long as the Yankees get beat in the AL I'm happy!!

There seems to be few Mariners fans in Ireland!

Just a quick question regarding the purchase of tickets. I want to but 2 tickets for the Red Sox VS Athletics game on the 26th of August and when I get to the payment option it is on about delivery options. Is there anyway of paying for the tickets and just collecting them in the Box Office rather than get them shipped over here? Or would I be better off just printing them out?

Thanks

Most clubs offer a 'print at home' option which means a PDF of the tickets are emailed to you when you buy them. That's the best way to go and is what I've used for my trips to see the Mets and never had a problem.

• Advertisement

Just a quick question regarding the purchase of tickets. I want to but 2 tickets for the Red Sox VS Athletics game on the 26th of August and when I get to the payment option it is on about delivery options. Is there anyway of paying for the tickets and just collecting them in the Box Office rather than get them shipped over here? Or would I be better off just printing them out?

Thanks
    I had my Red Sox tickets posted over to me here but I had 3 months before the game I was going to. There should also be a will call option which will leave them at box office for you to collect. When I have bought tickets through Ticketmaster (for Yankees and other non-baseball events) I have only had the will call option which means potential queuing :mad:

As Jack says printing them out is the most convenient way to go. I did this for the Mets game I went to as I bought them the week before the game.

Thanks for the quick reply lads, just got two grandstand tickets in section G25, can't wait to go now. I presume it ok to print on normal paper for the tickets?

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply lads, just got two grandstand tickets in section G25, can't wait to go now. I presume it ok to print on normal paper for the tickets?

Thanks

Yeah any old paper will do, colour or black/white - it makes no difference. As long as the bar code can be read by the scanner at the gate, there'll be no problems. Enjoy the game!

Thanks

Yup Iv done both, but printing them at home is the best option

Thanks for all the help lads. Can't wait now.

Thanks

Yes, you pick them up at the box office when you get there. Americans call it "will call".

But printing them yourself is the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Went to the Yankees/Orioles game last saturday, the 17-3 game. It was my 1st game and I absolutely loved it, the atmosphere was superb, helped by the 12 run 1st inning :D

Yankee Stadium is fantastic, if a bit pricey as others have said.

Brought the better half with me and thought she'd be bored, but she enjoyed it more than I did!

I was really suprised at my first game too. I think i was expecting a more "male" environment, rather like a football match. But its a real family affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Benimar wrote: »
    Went to the Yankees/Orioles game last saturday, the 17-3 game. It was my 1st game and I absolutely loved it, the atmosphere was superb, helped by the 12 run 1st inning :D

Yankee Stadium is fantastic, if a bit pricey as others have said.

Brought the better half with me and thought she'd be bored, but she enjoyed it more than I did!

I was at the Yankee game on Friday night. They lost 5-1, CC had a stinker but yeah, Yankee stadium is fantastic.

Advertisement