Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hellfire 19th July 2011 for a newbie?

Options
  • 12-06-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Any thoughts on the Hellfire duathlon running on the 19th July, how suitable is this for a fist stab at duathlons? I would be entering at the beginner level.

My general fitness is pretty good, I do a couple of 40k spins a week with a few 10 - 15k runs on some other days.

Also whats the terrain like for the bike ride, is a standard Road Racing bike suitable?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Was my 1st one last year too - You will be fine. Road bike is the most suitable.

Enjoy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭boogerballs

Ah_go_on wrote: »
    Was my 1st one last year too - You will be fine. Road bike is the most suitable.

Enjoy:D

Yeah I think I will, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's not your typical duathlon though, the cycle is hillier but the run is totally different, it's very hilly and completely off road, it would be worth checking out the route before hand, it's a tough little run.

Yeah I got that impression from reading the website, gonna try and bash out one or two duathlons before this and give it a go.

Am trying to aim for the Gaelforce west so Hellfire will be step 1

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Totally doable. Did it last year. Short, but a tough little race. Great training for longer adventure type races.

• Advertisement

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Great short but oh so very sharp race there in Masseys Hellfire this evening. Well organised and all that and the nice dry roads helped the descending speeds.
    On the first run I thought we were flying until the first lady came sprinting past after about 300m, that put the wind up eventual race winner Niall Somers and off he went. This wasn't good as I needed to be about 5 minutes ahead after the run to have any chance:)
    Anyway, Niall and me hit transition together and head out on the bikes with me gaining a sneaky few seconds by cycling straight away once I crossed the mat. Niall sits in for 20 seconds to see am I going to any help/use and then quickly disappears into the middle distance. Another lad passes on the climb. On the descent I think I'm flying and then all of a sudden there's a horrible nasty smell of burning rubber followed by Aaron O'Donohue flying past at an impressive clip. Another lad passes on the next climb and then we're back in transition for a short lap of loveniness through a pretty hardwood forest.
    Great craic for a Tuesday..
    I hear after that Aaron started the last run in joint first but his calf calved and he limped in 4th, Niall and 2nd had a great ding-dong battle. All good. Sorry I don't know names for 2nd and 3rd.
    The only pity was the relatively low turnout, hard for organisers to put on good races with low numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Peterx wrote: »
    Great short but oh so very sharp race there in Masseys Hellfire this evening. Well organised and all that and the nice dry roads helped the descending speeds.
    On the first run I thought we were flying until the first lady came sprinting past after about 300m, that put the wind up eventual race winner Niall Somers and off he went. This wasn't good as I needed to be about 5 minutes ahead after the run to have any chance:)
    Anyway, Niall and me hit transition together and head out on the bikes with me gaining a sneaky few seconds by cycling straight away once I crossed the mat. Niall sits in for 20 seconds to see am I going to any help/use and then quickly disappears into the middle distance. Another lad passes on the climb. On the descent I think I'm flying and then all of a sudden there's a horrible nasty smell of burning rubber followed by Aaron O'Donohue flying past at an impressive clip. Another lad passes on the next climb and then we're back in transition for a short lap of loveniness through a pretty hardwood forest.
    Great craic for a Tuesday..
    I hear after that Aaron started the last run in joint first but his calf calved and he limped in 4th, Niall and 2nd had a great ding-dong battle. All good. Sorry I don't know names for 2nd and 3rd.
    The only pity was the relatively low turnout, hard for organisers to put on good races with low numbers.

2nd - Stephen Surdival, 3rd Paul Heneghan (catching an injured Aaron on the last climb to the finish)

Super race again tonight, shame about low turnout .. A few exchanges and digs between me and peterx on the first run,and we came into T1 together - pace was possibly a little hot and payed for it on the bike...Aaron caught me on the second lap on the bike and we stayed together back to T2, Stephen surdival was around 50 yards back and gaining. Have to say Aaron bike split was lightening quick this evening, 34 minutes dead is class. Anyhow surdival passed me in transition as I fiddled and futhered around with my shoes, once I got going I caught him and immeditaley cramped in both calves. Super. Put a little gap in on the descent but legs were goosed going back up the climb and he was on my shoulder again, 400 meteres to go I went for it and buried myself and managed to clinch it :D

Great organisation and racing: a bit of Craic for a Tuesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There wasn't a huge amount at the Cruagh Woods race earlier this year either compared with the Hellfire last year. I'm thinking it may be due to event congestion ? I would have done this one myself if I wasn't doing WAR on Saturday, I'd imagine there's a few people thinking the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

I'm thinking of doing this next week, but it says on the race briefing it's not possible to collect your bike before 21:15

anyone know if this is correct? I don't fancy hanging round for an hour after finishing to get the bike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

jaymack75 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing this next week, but it says on the race briefing it's not possible to collect your bike before 21:15

anyone know if this is correct? I don't fancy hanging round for an hour after finishing to get the bike

It depends on when the last person is in. Never had to wait around too long in previous races, it should be fine.

Advertisement