Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat for 1 person

Options
  • 12-06-2011 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Moved into a self contained one bed flat a few weeks ago. It has a double bed and the landlord gave one set of keys.

My girlfriend wants to move in now, just wondering what the situation with the landlord is i.e. can he ask for more money. Also is it my responsibility to pay for keys?

The place is rented with a licence instead of a lease if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
    Dermot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dermot2468 wrote: »
    self contained one bed flat
    <snip>
    The place is rented with a licence instead of a lease if that makes any difference.
    Is the "flat" just a room inside a house (as opposed to in an apartment block), and does the landlord live in the same building?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Are you sure?
    http://public.prtb.ie/DownloadDocs/Licensees.pdf
    Simply entitling a letting agreement a Licence does not automatically mean it will be considered a Licence and not a Lease. Neither the PRTB nor the Courts will just accept the title of a document but will look at the actual terms and substance of the agreement when assessing whether it has jurisdiction to deal with it.
    It makes a massive difference by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

Its a room inside a house that was subdivided.

Its definitely a licence, I didn't realise there was a difference the landlord said it was handier and more flexible than a lease.
    What's the differences between the two? I'd never heard of a licence before I signed.

What's the differences between the two? I'd never heard of a licence before I signed.
    Generally, a license happens when the landlord lives in the same house, and you generally have little rights. If he doesn't live there, I don't think it's a license...

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

Hmm, I have it in front of me and its definitely a licence under the Irish property owners association.
    So basically this is invalid as the landlord doesn't live here?

• Advertisement

Hmm, I have it in front of me and its definitely a licence under the Irish property owners association.
    So basically this is invalid as the landlord doesn't live here?
    The IPOA is a landlord organisation. Not sure if it's invalid or not, but using the word "licence" instead of "lease" is an odd one if it covers a one room bedsit in a house where the landlord doesn't live in. Almost seems that the landlord wants to confuse the bedsit occupants about their rights?

You'd be better off ringing Threshold and asking them about it, as it sounds a bit iffy to me.

Advertisement