Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming, 800ish, newbie

Options
  • 12-06-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hey

I've been reading some of the posts in this forum, there's some great stuff in here. Looks like I can avoid going the Dell/custompc.ie route if some effort is put in. I've never put together my own PC, but it looks like it would be worth it and I'd like to get some advice.

I'm looking to spend around €800, but could go up to €1000. Mainly for gaming, of the Dragon Age/Total War/World of Warcraft type. Ideally I'd like a degree of future proofing, such that I don't need to buy again in the next couple of years. Also ideally, I'd like to order and receive it and get it asap, as I'm currently without a gaming PC. I was looking at some of the recommended pieces over at hardwareversand.de, and a lot of the most commonly recommended ones seem to be low or out of stock. I'm willing to wait a week or so, but two weeks would be pushing it.

One way of squeezing in more stuff, I have a GTS 250 card, so I was thinking of spending my 800 without buying a graphics card, using my old card with the new hardware, and coming back in a couple months time when I have more cash and buying a decent graphics card then. Dunno if that's a good or bad idea.

One final thought, I've seen the concept of an SSD hard drive, looks like something I'd really like to have, but what sort of budget would I need to get a decent system that included such a set up?

Many thanks for any advice on any of this.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Do you need a monitor, windows, keyboard mouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

deconduo wrote: »
    Do you need a monitor, windows, keyboard mouse?

Good questions, I should have included that information.
    Short answer is no to all of the above.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

i5-2500k
    ASRock P67 Pro3
    8GB GSKill Ripjaws
    Spinpoint F3 1TB
    CM HAF 912
    SF Amazon 550W
    Samsung DVD-RW

Comes to just under €550 euro after shipping. After that you can decide if you'd like to spend the rest of your budget on an SSD or a graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the recommended build.
    Went for that plus OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD.
    730 incl delivery + Windows from Software for Students.

Ordered on Monday, arrived the following Monday, to 7 real days to get here.

Stuff arrived yesterday, gonna get building tomorrow.

Advertisement