Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite sport reflects your intellect!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Exactly! Boring! That's why computer games were invented.

sorry your confusing being intelligent with being dumb I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

soccer is just looking up seeing that someone has a bit of space in front on them and passing it to them... then when that player gets the ball they look for someone else to pass it too... if the defender comes to close they fall over and claim they got a kick in the shin which caused them to collapse like a bulldozer hit them...

a 5 year old girl would be tougher than them but anyways... don't see how it's intelligent at all...

then you get the old lad like messi who thinks the games are for fun so just tries to show off which can be nice but all it is really is a just a little wee flick and the defender is too clumsy to react fast enough... not really genius but looks good i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The drunken football fans that I saw all over the town tonight weren't exactly geniuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PuddleMooders

That's the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. It takes a lot more 'genius' to perform in F1 than it does to kick a ball up a field. Next time you go to criticize a sport how about you actually try it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pussy

Advanced chess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 salmonshirt

That's the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. It takes a lot more 'genius' to perform in F1 than it does to kick a ball up a field. Next time you go to criticize a sport how about you actually try it first.

Ok cool. Let me just grab the keys to my racing car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    soccer is just looking up seeing that someone has a bit of space in front on them and passing it to them... then when that player gets the ball they look for someone else to pass it too... if the defender comes to close they fall over and claim they got a kick in the shin which caused them to collapse like a bulldozer hit them...

a 5 year old girl would be tougher than them but anyways... don't see how it's intelligent at all...

then you get the old lad like messi who thinks the games are for fun so just tries to show off which can be nice but all it is really is a just a little wee flick and the defender is too clumsy to react fast enough... not really genius but looks good i suppose

I wouldn't know where to start arguing that post.

if this is the guy who said he was going to do an epic troll last week, you failed, its ****, Ive spotted 3 or 4 sock puppets already.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

HD is where it is at....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Being a professional sportsman in any sport takes intelligence and skill. Otherwise everyone would be doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I spent about 5 minutes watching Formula One tonight and came to the conclusion that it must be one of the dumbest sports on the planet. In fact, everyone I know who likes formula one is lacking in some vital brain cells.

I believe this to be true with a lot of sports. Take American Football for example. Another mind numbing game and the national sport of America. Need I say more?

Well OP, I'd say you're incapable or unwilling to appreciate complex and tactical sports.

Formula One is incredibly tactical with strategies and pit stops and plans to maximize performance.
    Some of the best automotive engineers in the world constantly battling for solutions like traction control which came around in the 90's

Baseball is the national sport of America
    For football your coordinators have to design plays, trick plays and constantly try to find mismatches and deceive the other team. Chess is a good description for it

Are you unable to see this? And what does this say for your intellect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I spent about 5 minutes watching Formula One tonight

Aw, was it too complicated for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

doubledown wrote: »
    No comment.
    Put in a good word for me with the brothers will ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 salmonshirt

Cool_CM wrote: »

Eh nope...just really boring. I do understand that there is a car race and the winner is in the car that wins the race. Hardly rocket science. Cue your ramblings of pit stops and pole positions. Just padding to make people like you think it's intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

OP, there is little to no intelligence in Rugby whatsoever. As for American Football, you couldn't be more wrong in saying that it is a dumb sport. It's probably the most strategically and tactically complex sport out there after soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Anything involving balls is good :)

Eh nope...just really boring. I do understand that there is a car race and the winner is in the car that wins the race. Hardly rocket science. Cue your ramblings of pit stops and pole positions. Just padding to make people like you think it's intelligent.

so what your saying is you have a 5 minute attention span?

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm not a fan of F1 but to say it's a sport of the stupid is absurd. I honestly can't think of another sport which relies so heavily on intelligence.

Rowing, now there's a stupid sport

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

craggles wrote: »
    OP, there is little to no intelligence in Rugby whatsoever. As for American Football, you couldn't be more wrong in saying that it is a dumb sport. It's probably the most strategically and tactically complex sport out there after chess.

FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Confab wrote: »
    Soccer is not intelligent. In fact it's one of the stupidest sports.

Most stupid, not stupidest.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Give them all the exact same car to drive,then its a sport, otherwise its just like a bigger budget version of BBC's Robot Wars!

Rowing, now there's a stupid sport

:D you need co-ordination though, unless your the only one rowing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Snooker is pretty clever.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

As I am not a domestic pet, I always feel a little bit aggrieved by intimations that I should go and run after a ball.

I would also share the OPs distaste for F1 racing. Although I do like horse racing, whereby in preparing, training and in riding the horse a good level of skill is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Cool_CM wrote: »

It got too complicated when Brundle revealed that race car is race car backwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

No sport is inherently intelligent or dumb, hard or simple, skillfull or unskillful..etc.
    Human beings bring these qualities to sport and not the other way 'round; there is no ceiling on the exent to which anyone can bring these qualities to any sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

All sports are boring as far as I'm concerned. Or rather watching them is boring. I don't see the point in sitting around watching other people play a game or run around or whatever. I don't see how watching someone kick a ball into a net is any more exciting than watching a car overtake another car.

Whereas watching someone else play a guitar or act say is so much different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Women volleyball need i say more ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Advertisement