Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite sport reflects your intellect!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I Like professional wrestling :)

if its in the sports section on boards, its a proper sport :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Bog Snorkling
    A sport for fat Irish housewives

I prefer muff diving myself, and you can do it when your hammered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I spent about 5 minutes watching Formula One tonight and came to the conclusion that it must be one of the dumbest sports on the planet. In fact, everyone I know who likes formula one is lacking in some vital brain cells.

I believe this to be true with a lot of sports. Take American Football for example. Another mind numbing game and the national sport of America. Need I say more?

Aussie rules is another. Not the sharpest sport for not the sharpest people.

I could go on and on but I won't. Just a random thought for a Sunday night. Oh look, a driver has taken over another car....oh wait, he hasn't....thrilling!

F1 is like chess at 200mph if you've ever driven a car at 130mph around a track youd appreciate how smart Race car drivers.

American Football is probably the most tactile sport ive ever played. one foot out of position and you could cost your team the game

So what intelligent sports do you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

cycling, chess on wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Whereas watching someone else play a guitar or act say is so much different?
    Music and film trumps sport imo.

• Advertisement

pragmatic1 wrote: »

different strokes, what if I like both?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

iamstop wrote: »

This sport is epic.

That looks unreal. They have some leap on them. Do they have to knock the poll or remove the thing on top of it? & what are they at at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

me@ucd wrote: »
    different strokes, what if I like both?

Bisexual ??

Ricardo G wrote: »
    Bisexual ??

no fixies AND freewheel

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

pragmatic1 wrote: »

Yeah see that the thing, IN YOUR OPINION.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

later10 wrote: »
    I would also share the OPs distaste for F1 racing. Although I do like horse racing, whereby in preparing, training and in riding the horse a good level of skill is involved.

Are there not parallels to be drawn in designing, preparing and driving an F1 car?

Anyway, of all the races to pick to criticise, that Canadian GP was one of the most exciting, intriguing and ultimately fulfilling races I have watched in the 10+ years I've been watching F1. Maybe you flicked on during the 2 hour red flag and thought that the sport consisted of waiting for the rain to stop - it's not, unlike cricket.

I spent about 5 minutes watching Formula One tonight

funny you should say that, I spent about 5 hrs :eek: :mad:
    bernie I want that 2hrs back :frown:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Floodric

What is this called? I must learn more

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

What happened the bunch in red?
    Anyway no surprise that that "sport" comes from the most sadistic race on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

huh? You need to be pretty intellectual to be able to play rugby with all that tactical hijinx! Same applies for GAA sport...keeping the eye on the ball and logical about how you approach the game will determine if your team will win or lose, teamwork is important in a lot of sport so if one person breaks the fold then the whole game breaks down. It takes more than one person to win a match! Quick thinking and planning ahead is what is important in terms of winning. Showing how intellectual you are when it comes to your favourite sport that shows your intellect I'm not so sure?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Superbus wrote: »
    Are there not parallels to be drawn in designing, preparing and driving an F1 car?
    No, I wouldnt say so. Handicapping in horse racing is theoretically designed to equalise advantage on a level playing field. The trainer has to take account of this and push the horse further than the handicapper will set him back. With horses, in that respect, it is not simply a question of purchasing success - skill can trump money.

The trainer and the rider also have to take account of far more variables than a racing car driver, not only in terms of environmental conditions and positions, but in light of the fact that you have two individuals, with variable and unpredictable responses working together, as opposed to one man sitting beside an engine designed to give specific, accurate responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

Okay.... I think we can all agree that all sports require intelligence, especially at the highest level. All of them. Every sport is great...

AAAAArgh!

Sports!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

All sports are boring as far as I'm concerned. Or rather watching them is boring. I don't see the point in sitting around watching other people play a game or run around or whatever. I don't see how watching someone kick a ball into a net is any more exciting than watching a car overtake another car.

Woud you see a point in Rory Gallagher(RIP) or John McLaughlin or Paco de Lucia give a concert? Presumably yes? Now If someone wants to watch the best exponents of a particular sport... what would be the difference?

later10 wrote: »
    The trainer and the rider also have to take account of far more variables than a racing car driver, not only in terms of environmental conditions and positions, but in light of the fact that you have two individuals, with variable and unpredictable responses working together, as opposed to one man sitting beside an engine designed to give specific, accurate responses.

............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

And you post that today OP?

The finish to the Canadian GP was one the best in a long time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Chess boxing FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Barehanded Lion Fighting is definitely the most intelligent sport.
    You need to train by doing a series of mental exercises. Nothing physical, just brain-training, visualize the fight for two hours at a time Visualize the lion, and all the possible ways it could attack. Will it go for the head, or will it grab me by the feet?

But the key to fighting a lion is maintaining eye contact, and, really, not wanting to die. You have to recognize in that situation, it’s you or the lion, and you have to really want it to be you.

A Barehanded Lion Fighter can raise a generation of super soldiers, jump from ten-story buildings So, when I say they have the intellect and strength to take a lion down, people should take them seriously. Why isn’t anyone listening to me? I don’t know, but it’s very frustrating...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

It's called The Sweet Science for a reason bro's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

I spent about 5 minutes watching Formula One tonight and came to the conclusion that it must be one of the dumbest sports on the planet. In fact, everyone I know who likes formula one is lacking in some vital brain cells.

I believe this to be true with a lot of sports. Take American Football for example. Another mind numbing game and the national sport of America. Need I say more?

Aussie rules is another. Not the sharpest sport for not the sharpest people.

I could go on and on but I won't. Just a random thought for a Sunday night. Oh look, a driver has taken over another car....oh wait, he hasn't....thrilling!

I'm presuming you hav'nt passed your test yet.
    American football and Aussie rules. Have you tried playing these sports?
    What is your sport of choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Barehanded Lion Fighting is definitely the most intelligent sport.
    You need to train by doing a series of mental exercises. Nothing physical, just brain-training, visualize the fight for two hours at a time Visualize the lion, and all the possible ways it could attack. Will it go for the head, or will it grab me by the feet?

But the key to fighting a lion is maintaining eye contact, and, really, not wanting to die. You have to recognize in that situation, it’s you or the lion, and you have to really want it to be you.

A Barehanded Lion Fighter can raise a generation of super soldiers, jump from ten-story buildings So, when I say they have the intellect and strength to take a lion down, people should take them seriously. Why isn’t anyone listening to me? I don’t know, but it’s very frustrating...

Are you an Egyptian?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

I should have mentioned that my favourite sports are soccer, rugby and cricket. Intelligent games.
    I'm a fan of FOOTBALL and rugby. Not cricket, basically a more regulated game of rounders. I wouldn't call any of these Sports "intelligent", common sense and the ability to follow directions that's about it.

Advertisement