Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mamean?

Options
  • 12-06-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

Trying to research the history of this area...Apparently the English hung people there, any info would be appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conamara

Do you mean the Maamtrasna Murders?

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/21496

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

connemara wrote: »
    Do you mean the Maamtrasna Murders?
    I think so..we heard about the murders from a friend, but she was fairly vague on details & location......Maamtrasna murders, chilling stuff. Great there is such a detailed record of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Myself and a few friends camped close to the house when we were younger. Didn't know anything about it until my Aunts hubbie mentioned while he drove us past it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭JimiWonderDoor 92

MaamTrasna Murders - There's loads of info on the web and there was a doc on RTE last year.

I take great interest in it because my family's from round there.

The basic story is that it's the 1880s or so, British police regularly patrolling the area, but there are also dissenting rebels.

The Brits used informers to suss things out and basically people who were suspected to be spies were murdered by fellow Irish.

It genuinely is taboo to talk about it around there, and families in that area wouldn't trade cattle, intermarry because of this.

You should get the book on it.

As for Mamean - basically St. Patrick slept there back in the day, then in 80s a helicopter brought in some materials and the locals built a church. Its a really nice place when you get there. Even if areligious it is an experience to trek all the way to the church - they do it every year (well a lot of the locals).

Advertisement