Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupational Therapy HELP

Options
  • 12-06-2011 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Okay so here's my dilemma! I've researched OT in depth and it's something at the back of my mind for the past while. I went into the OT department in my hospital - had a chat with one or two of them and all. But basically to be honest I do tend to get very uncomfortable around mentally disabled people. Should I just stay clear of OT as a career? On my way out of the department I came across two severely disabled kids in wheelchairs and I just couldn't imagine having the strength to work with them in a professional capacity?? Advice please! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭DeadlyTwig

No absolutely don't avoid it!!

You should check out some local charities involved with mentally disabled people. I did a few months with a group of mentally disabled teenagers. I found a bit daunting at first and you soon get used to each persons personalities and habits.

People are usually afraid of the unknown. So, do some volunteer work and hopefully that will give you a little bit more confidence!

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Snibbles

It takes a bit of time to get used to things like that, but it definitely does become much easier through time if you want it to.
    I guess that's the thing you need to think about though - do you want to get to the stage where you feel comfortable around that, because if you do then it's totally achievable.
    When you do your work placements in OT you get gradually exposed to situations and they build you up gradually so that you have the skills to cope with it

Advertisement